• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dollman Street Stores Discussion Here

R

Rod

Please use this topic to post any comments you might have regarding the Dollman Street Stores Pictures

A treasure trove Rod. The fish frier is sooooooooo 30's. I can smell the potatoes as the drawer on that roaster was opened and given a shake. The flower girls filled their basket carts with colour.

Yes Di :)
I met both John Houghton and Peter Walker at the stores when it opened to the public back in October. The fish fryer was amongst my most favourite sightings along with the dustcart and the Cannings Electroplating Machine Model, if I remember correctly built by engineering apprentices from Cannings a good many years ago. It's both sad and a bit bizarre to walk around what is effectively an industrial warehouse looking at all these things some of them obviously look very out of place, while other bits of the mechanical machinery seem a bit at home there?

I do think there should be a space made available to display all our brummie treasures on a permanant basis, so theyre not tucked away in a store?

ROD. Those pics are realy great, l do hope you can post some more in the future they are a great asset to the website and l am sure they will stir memories of more stories of the past and get people posting their stories. I hope so at least ! !

A lot of folk think that the city own's  all whats in the stores but most of it is on loan which is sad as it can only been seen for a short period of time, the fire engine is on loan to the Social History Dept from the Sun Alliance and London Insurance Group it was built in the middle of the last century and originally belonged to the District Fire Office, which was a B'ham Company, it was operated by 8 men and it could pump 55 gallons of water a minute and could throw a jet of water 90 feet high.Its Sad we have all this heritage what people are willing to lend to the city and it cannot be put on permenant display.Why cannot lottery money not be used if the City does not want to pay for a building ? or raise one by public funding like a lot of things have to be done today.......I suppose the answer is blowing in the wind
Great photo's by the way O0

Great pictures,
wouldn't it be great to have a museum
big enough to show them all?
the handcart took me back to
my youth,pushed one for many a mile
loaded up with timber

That photo of the Basket Carriage took me back, thats the very thing I used to have to push from Lozells to the Rag Market, every Saturday. ;D

It was interesting to see the write up on Dolman Street, as it was apparently set up to show to the public items that had lain unseen for years., collected from various locations. Well done Brum.

Last edited:
popped down dollman street today.tuesday.they are trying to arrange another open day in march.2007.they said there will be a lot of publicity about it.

I remember that hot spud cart, he used to be next to the Grand hotel and New street station, they would cost 6p ( old money) a bag, and don't forget the salt. and when it was cold we would stand next to the cart and keep warm. ... happy days,....... :smitten:

just found the dates for open days at dollman street stores.28th may.2007.bank holiday monday. and 8th september.2007.saturday .
access my previous link.21st november.2006.and type in NECHELLS in the search box.

Next open day is 28th May,Bank Holiday Monday.If anyone is planning to go,perhaps we could meet up,and enjoy a bacon butty and a cuppa together.Anyone up for it.

Colin

If I am not required to work on that evening I might attend......would anyone know what the opening times are...?

As with rods photos.i don't think you you need a description. However for those struggling one is a pram, another is a sewing machine and i think another is a washing machine. If anyone is none the wiser I'd be more than happy to clairfy.

Re: last photo description of shop shelves. Where's "Winston Green"?
I despair sometimes!

where are my photos

where have my photos gone of my visit to dollman street stores?

Pictures

pictures are with the other Dollman Street pictures BillC. This is the discussion section.

rod
thanks
i know you are doing a splendid job on here.over worked and underpaid.
best wishes
bill;)

Back