• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dog and Doublet, Bodymoor Heath

Brenda

master brummie
Does anyone remenber going to the Dog & Doublet in Bodymoor Heath near Tamworth and Sutton Coldfield in the early 1970s when they used to have a piano player and a man with a gazoo? They used to do songs like "Three Old Ladies Sitting On The Lavoratory" and do funny actions. If so, does anyone remember Dick Muffet of Walmley who used to go there? He died in the late 70s or 80s so I was wondering if anyone knew the date please?

Hi Brenda we used to go to the Dog and Dublet on a sunday night for a good old sing song, there were to chaps there who used to the songs with all the actions and one number was called my brothers mallone they used to live in erdington and this period was from about 1958 to 1962, they were great nights .
fairley

hi brenda,

i have been to the Dog and Doublet one or two times that is the pub on the side of the canal i know their were some girls that lived in the other houses that were there i think that became the attraction that would have been around 1961, and then we would go to a place called Appleby Magna and Appleby Parva. :cool: ;)

Fairley, would that song have been My Brother Sylvest - had a string of medals on his chest etc. It was my late brother in laws party piece and he sang it at every family get together and party for years.

yes your right it was my brothers sylvest my wife pointed out the mistake afterwards

we had a friend that was a bit older than us and he worked part time for Avon coaches and he would take people on mystery tours and the Dog was one of them and he would take us lads to the different pubs he went to, and there was one at Appleby Magna the other side of Tamworth. :cool:

This is were i first heard the song Who killed Cock Robin.

at the left hand side of the dog there used to be a passage to the canal and on the left there were one or two houses but i think the pub covers all that ground now.

Not sure if this pic has been posted before.....

Attachments

• Dog & Doublet, Bodymoor Heath.jpg
    Dog & Doublet, Bodymoor Heath.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 1
Back