• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Does the punishment fit the crime

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sort of thing is common these days and bike owners have to resort to sites like https://www.findthatbike.co.uk/ to try and retrieve their machines. The other day I heard a statistic that less than 1 per cent of those that steal a car and are caught actually go to court. So, I imagine this figure would be less than 0.1 per cent of those stealing a bicycle.

Attachments

• Bike Theft.jpg
    Bike Theft.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 17
Keiron,

I see that was in 1935. Yet only a couple of days ago I saw a video clip of a cycle thief taking a portable angle gringer to cut the chain securing a cycle to a street rack and actually succeeded and road off on it. I think it was somewhere in London, better known as a thieves paradise. People complain that street cameras are an intrusion on people's privacy. Maybe they are, but even if they are caught, what would the punishment be likely to be?

However, that said, it isn't really worth posting your comments on a site like this, which is really confined to history, and we don't want the site to become political. All it does it push up our blood pressure to higher levels! :)

Maurice :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back