• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Does Anyone Remember This Pub?

Brummygirl66

master brummie
I was searching through some photos on Google hoping to find a picture of The Crown on Smethwick High Street, my dad and granddad's local and came across this photo.

I thought it was interesting because it was a mixture of the old and new and wondered where it was, but the only details with the photo is that it's in Ladywood.

Hope it brings back some memories for some of you.

My search wasn't totally in vain though as I haven't found a photo of The Crown (yet!) but I have found some beer tokens for there which I read about on here.

The search goes on.......

tmp_1908-mempic233974898139.jpg

I think that must be it, as I have a copy of the photo labeled Morville st, and another labelled Ladywood road, and it is on the corner of those two roads, as pjmburns says at no 70 Ladywood road

yes moveville did excist and the other one came the squirrel pub and being knocked about and remoderized
on Ladywood road
I can also state that the morville site and the complex of the built blocks of flats way back on beyonder
that you see in the distants all away down to broad street and the surrounding streets
ajoinging around the area i can recall them building all that area and that complex was the start of many
around that area and we was mooching in all those bombed houses when declared void for old army helmets or what ever we could find
then they knocked them down and started the huge and masive building site you ever did see
we had fun on that building site climbibing the scaffolds and alsorts of things we was chased many a times by the whatchman
off the sites which also covered ledsam street and surrounding street
and i knew the poole family from ladywood was one of the first to move into those flats
best wishes Astonian,,,

Likewise I could not find a photo of the Crown in High Street, Smethwick but I believe it still exists. Have you tried a Google map street level search?

The Ladywood connection, which has no relevance to your Smethwick enquiry, could be The Crown Stores - on the corner Ruston Street and Morville Street. The great Old Ladywood site shows a pic of the stores
https://www.oldladywood.co.uk/pubs.htm

Likewise I could not find a photo of the Crown in High Street, Smethwick but I believe it still exists. Have you tried a Google map street level search?

The Ladywood connection, which has no relevance to your Smethwick enquiry, could be The Crown Stores - on the corner Ruston Street and Morville Street. The great Old Ladywood site shows a pic of the stores
https://www.oldladywood.co.uk/pubs.htm

No, The Crown no longer exists it was knocked down in 1981/2 when Tollhouse Way was built, there are shops on only 1 side of Smethwick High Street now. I'm going to the Local History centre in Victoria Park this week, hopefully they can point me in the direction of finding a photo, if now the archives at Smethwick library may possibly have a photo.

Thank you for your reply though, I'll keep looking.......!

I finally did find a photo of The Crown on the Black Country website, and will be going to Smethwick library to see if I can get a copy of it as I hope to frame the picture as a happy reminder of my childhood.

hi brummygirl glad you have found a photo of the crown pub...dont think you will have any problems getting a copy of it from the library

lyn

I was searching through some photos on Google hoping to find a picture of The Crown on Smethwick High Street, my dad and granddad's local and came across this photo.

I thought it was interesting because it was a mixture of the old and new and wondered where it was, but the only details with the photo is that it's in Ladywood.

Hope it brings back some memories for some of you.

My search wasn't totally in vain though as I haven't found a photo of The Crown (yet!) but I have found some beer tokens for there which I read about on here.

The search goes on.......

View attachment 112713
Hello, the photo you have is of The Eagle & Ball which was on junction of Ladywood Road and Morville Street Ladywood. regards Elaine.

Back