• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Does anyone recognise this shopping centre photo?

Mike186

Brummie babby
This photo was taken on a family outing Mystery-Shopping-Centre-Aug.jpgAugust 1973 but I do not recall the location, I think was south of Birmingham (although someone suggested possibly Perry Barr)

I would love for someone to recognise where it was taken - to put my mind at rest!

The only clues really are the Trent Furnishings shop - for which I have found nothing useful on internet to help tracing possible locations of their former premises - the finger post towards a bus station, and - perhaps most likely to be remembered - the 60s/70s style of decorative sculpture above the shop units.

Last edited:
The 1973 Birmingham Kellys does not list Trent Furnishing, so it must be outside the Birmingham area. Unfortunately I do not have a Warwickshire Kellys of around that date.
According to https://www.furniturebrands4u.co.uk/history the firm was started in 1967 and at first had stores in Burton upon Trent, Derby, Ilkeston & Loughborough. In the 1980s and 90s they added stores in Melbourne & Belper, Derbyshire and Atherstone, Warwickshire and even Nottingham city . No mention of any nearer to Birmingham, though these potted online histories often miss things out

Last edited:
Many thanks for that Mike, I was hoping that perhaps someone would know where they had shops, which might then narrow down where to look.
Warwickshire I think is most likely location as we sometimes had trips to the Stratford Upon Avon area.
When nothing came up for the company name on an internet search I didn't know where to try next, so I'm grateful for your insight.
Mike

This photo was taken on a family outing View attachment 133311August 1973 but I do not recall the location, I think was south of Birmingham (although someone suggested possibly Perry Barr)

I would love for someone to recognise where it was taken - to put my mind at rest!

The only clues really are the Trent Furnishings shop - for which I have found nothing useful on internet to help tracing possible locations of their former premises - the finger post towards a bus station, and - perhaps most likely to be remembered - the 60s/70s style of decorative sculpture above the shop units.
I think it may be Burton On Trent, Bargates shopping centreBargates shopping centre.jpeg

i worked at perry barr precinct when that photo was taken and from memory i cant say it is familiar to me

lyn

Yes you are all correct that it is The Bargate Centre in Burton On Trent, I did a search following Mikejee's helpful response and found the above photos also a few other photos confirming the location, which I gather has long since been redeveloped.

I'm just sorry that it turned out to be a location outside of Birmingham and so strictly outside the remit of this forum!!

Thanks all for the feedback and solving the location of my long outstanding mystery photo!

Here's the clearest image I found best showing the sculpture in full - although a better resolution version of the same which I found was "protected" with a large watermark that spoiled the picture, presumably aimed to preserve some copyright … … … … … Bargate Shopping Center Burton 08.jpg

Before I had established the location I had also e-mailed Haynes Furnishers (formerly Trent Furnishing) and subsequently I had a response from their director Peter Haynes, to say that the store was his father's from 1967-1983 but since had indeed been demolished.

He also said that he thought his father, now aged 86, would enjoy seeing my photo and the other internet ones I had forwarded to him.

Back