• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Does anyone know which street this airplane body is being transported in?

I don't think anything beats the approach to "Ki Tak" the old Hong Hong airport across checker board hill and decent though the housing estates of high rise flats, and looked for all the world as if you were going to land in the sea.
paul

Paul I was based at Kai Tak with the RAF in 1953/4 and flew regulary from there, but there was no high rise then, my Wife and I had an apartment in Observatory Crescent of the Natham Rd and from our roof had a marvelous view of the Royal Observatory behind us. I bet I wouldn't recognise the place now with all its high rise, underground and remote new airport - so sad. Eric

We are off thread here Cookie, so will be brief theres nothing to get the heart fluttering on a plane as someone saying "I don't want to worry everyone but I just saw a woman hanging washing on her balcony, about 12' from the wing tip!!!!!!!!!.
paul

Yes, my apologies to all, just noticed the thread title and realised I was way of the subject, when it comes to aircraft I get carried away. Eric

A Valetta aircraft VX506 was sold on the 10/02/1959 to a Birmingham scrap yard owned by H.H.Bushell & Co - but there is no trace of an address or area for that scrap yard - does anyone know where it was ?

Thanks for that link Jennyann - I've looked at the scrap yards in it and cannot see anything, but the site has some lovely photos and stories I can browse through.
I've found that H.H.Bushell & Co received many scrap aircraft even during the 1960's, but a search on Google for the company name gives many strange results !

When I worked at Triplex Safety Glass in the late 1960's there was a scrapyard on Pershore Road South right opposite Camp Lane, just down from Cotteridge. We saw several aircraft and bits of aircraft on the piles of junk, including an F86 Sabre. I don't know if this scrapyard was Bushell's, unfortunately, but maybe it's a start. You're getting there, OM!

Big Gee

Thanks Big Gee, I'll have a look round there. The last F86 Sabre I saw in B'ham broke the sound barrier in a dive and was doing about 680mph from Castle Bromwich airfield over the Chester Rd towards the city centre.

Hi OM, I should have said that the scrap-yard was where Kings Norton Factory Centre is now. The F86 was a great aircraft, I don't think I ever saw one in the air, but wish I had.

Baz, I worked in R&D from '68 to '74. A good company until Pilkington's got involved.

Big Gee

Bushell's had a yard next to St Chads school in Brearley St. in the 50's.
Saw many an aircraft shell in there on my way to and from school.

Dave

What a marvelous link jennyanne I just spent 1,1/2 hrs enthralled in reading it all and looking at the photo's that's what this site is all about.
paul

You're getting there, OM!
Big Gee
I've just read all the posts from the start of the thread and it's amusing to see us start off with enthusiasm as we got down to the task of finding the street, but I think it is one that will not be solved. Things have changed so much since Standard Vanguards (in the pic) were parked in streets. However, it has been enjoyable trawling through the many aviation sites on the web.
oldmohawk...
encouragement.png

Hi Maypolebaz
I copied all the site and pasted it into Wordpad which stripped the photos out, then used Wordpad's 'Find' to look for the word scrap.

I found the word 'scrap' in streets below
Benson rd - no name
Don St - no name
Heath St called Parkers scrap yard
Park Rd no name
Tudor St owned by Moult family

oldmohawk

ps.. It's hard to believe but there is an Aviation Scrapyard forum here ....
friendly_wink.png

I still occasionally search for the street where the Valetta fuselage is being transported. I don't think it is a Birmingham street, why move a complete fuselage through Birmingham ?
If it was scrap they would have cut it up. I'm presently looking at small towns near Birmingham and as far out as around RAF Tern Hill. There are only two complete Valettas in the UK, one on display at Flixton, and one in bits at Cosford. There was one parked at Birmingham Airport for years but broken up in 1971. I've seen many interesting photos on aviation history sites and one below is a 1950s/60s pic of a Channel Airways Viking (civil version) aircraft landing at Southend Airport - doubledeck buses not advisable in that road !
The other pics show the same place today - traffic lights - barriers - double yellow lines.
vikings.jpg

Hedge-hopping into Southend Airport. Bus passengers have a close-up view. Air passengers looking at trees !

se2s.JPG

View from where the bus was. Much safer now with traffic lights and barriers.

se1s.JPG

Almost the same view as Pic 1 They have lowered the fence, cut some trees down, and double yellow lines etc.

A fascinating puzzle; I'm afraid I can't help with identifying the street. OM's photo of an aircraft passing perilously low over a bus at Southend Airport reminds me that a friend and I drove along that road one evening in the late-1980s. The end of the main runway was on our right, and on the left was a ploughed field - with a light aircraft nose-down in the earth. We stopped to investigate - and found the pilot clambering out, apparently unharmed!

Re: Does anyone know which street this aircraft fuselage is being transported in?

Bushell's had a yard next to St Chads school in Brearley St. in the 50's.
Saw many an aircraft shell in there on my way to and from school.

Dave

Dave is right. The company H. H. Bushell & Co. Ltd. - which was classified as "general merchants" - had premises at 46/52 Brearley Street and a warehouse at 31/45 Brearley Street, Birmingham 19 certainly up to 1966.

Last edited:
Back