• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Does anyone know where this was?

RhomaKay

proper brummie kid
My father said he used to live just around the corner from where this was taken on the right past the hedge? Thanking you in advance
RhomaKay
1935 RGK said he lived around the corner from this photo.jpg

There is an area of Sedgley which surrounds Beacon Hill (includes Beacon Lane) so presumably it was somewhere near there. As I don't know the area I am not sure what it is like in terms of houses or buildings.

hi romakay....not quite sure what you want to know as it gives the location at the bottom of the postcard

lyn
Hi Lyn,
I was wondering if anyone knew what the street name would be. I was hoping to tie it into one of the addresses I have that my father lived at. Living in Australia it is hard to figure out what fits where in Brum. I have him on the 1921 census as living in Brook Lane near the Billesley, then I have him a few years later at 50 Alchester Road, I think that may have been Balsall Heath and then after that at 87 Brighton Road also Balsall Heath. From the map above it looks like it might be Beacon Court.

thank you and regards
Rhoma

The water tower shown in the photo is possibly the rectangular structure I've coloured red (marked W before I painted it!)
Judging by the shadows in the picture the photographer was looking in an approximately easterly direction so probably along the blue line but I can't account for the road or the chimney unless they're off the edge of the map. What site did you get the map from Pedrocut - the one I used to use seems to have gone off air!.

Sedgley (Part).jpeg

Posts crossed ... I had trouble with the map website ... it seems different every time I use it. I agree Springfield Grove.
This old map shows the Tower on the beacon coloured red and the Tank on the beacon coloured blue. I think the road in #1 could be Springfield Grove and the long arrow points to the tower and tank.
SpringfieldGrove_old.jpg

A modern view but a tall conifer hides the tower.
Springfield_GroveNow.jpg

Yes this is it, love the photo of it now!!! Well actually I prefer the postcard version but I can imagine my Dad walking up the streets here. Just love it. Thanks again

Back