• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Does Any Remember Steve Ford - Local Comedian In Late 60s

JohnGriff

knowlegable brummie
Steve should have been a top star. I first saw him at the Yew Tree in the early 60s and he became a regular at the Cresta, the Hunters Moon and Kings at Great Barr.

I do miss the vibrant Birmingham cabaret scene of yesteryear...

Barry Herrick would be another name that might ring some bells out there...? He later used the stage name of Nick Barry. He was a very good comedian.

I remember him, he was my father in law. Excellent comedian. Did a stint on the golden Shot too.
is steve still alive,,,i have never forgotten how good he was,,i saw him at least 5 times,,,over the years,,you got tired laughing,,,thanks for replying,,warm regards john griffin,

Unfortunately he has passed now.
My pleasure it was good to know that he entertained you enough to be remembered. Keeps his name alive. Cheers John.

So many memories, thank-you very Much, will show the good lady later, sure to cause a few tears. never had videos in my day and that is a treasure.
So very much appreciated and glad I joined this site if only for a wonderful glimpse of a true artist. I do remember those jokes, but still laughing. "it is the way you tell em", as another comic used to say

thank you ,bob johnson,,,what a find,,,i am truly amazed,,,steve ford was a superb comedian,,,he was a big talent,,,and should of been a star,,,,i tried to book him once for a christmas party but he was to busy,,,,,you needed to book him months in advance,,warm regards john griffin,,

I will shortly post a few newspaper extracts for both Steve Ford and Nick Barry taken from the British Library Newspaper Archive. There are a total of 91 entries for Steve ranging between 1965 and 2004 and exclusive Midlands. Nick Barry seems to have a total of 41 entries from 1959 to 2007 and spread nationwide including entries in the trade paper The Stage and at least one TV appearance.

Maurice :cool:

How amazing are you, I showed the wife the video clip yesterday and she forwarded to her family, they were enthralled to be able to see their dad yet again. Still funny after all this time. Many Thanks
They wil be intrigued by the most recent of research. Again BZ.

many thanks to SOSPIRI,,,,what a find you are,,,i was at the fore- mentioned midland club acts of the year,,,may 1982,,it was a great line up...nick barry and oliver spencer were both superb acts,,,,you had to be good to win this award,,,the competion was fierce,,,,,,,,bernie burgess was the compere,,,,duncan norvelle won it the following year or maybe the year before,,,,,,i was there as well,

John,

I picked a couple at random, did a bit of a tidy up and stuck the newspaper & date on - that's what takes the time. So Nick was being reported on for 48 years, that's quite a time, and a lot of travelling because he seemed to moved about a lot. Glad I was able to help out.

Maurice :cool:

steve ford was top class , at his best he was in the the top 10 comedians in the uk, ,,,i know because i saw them all, he was always fully booked up for months in advance, he could have 1200 people in the palm of his hand,,,the very first time i saw him i knew he was very special, i was amazed tv never gave him a chance, he is a very sad loss,to showbizness,,,and his fans,, regards john griffin,

Back