• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dodwell, Mary - death cert for MARY DODWELL

greywolf

hunter of ancestry
looking for a date of death for my GGM MARY DODWELL she was born to MARIA DODWELL at 12 soho rd in birmingham wark .. in 1878 any help would be great thank you annie

Re: death cert for MARY DODWELL

Hi Annie, did your great great grandmother marry? If she did, then her death would be registered under her married name?
There is a marriage in 1900 of a Mary A Dodwell to either Harry Carr or Edward James Haywood.
Looking at the 1911 census,it was probably Edward Haywood,listed with a Mary Ann and married 10 years, living at 143 Boulton Road,Handsworth.
Mary Ann Haywood was at 143 Boulton Road until at least 1930
Marriages Dec 1900
Mary Ann Dodwell Birmingham 6d 326
There are quite a few Haywood deaths
I think this could be Edward's death
Deaths Sep 1934
Edward Haywood aged 56 Birmingham 6d 282

hi ladylynda

i don't if she marry im assuming not i look for her in LDS 1881census for there is a MARY DODWELL list brn in birmingham to a daughter to MARIA DODWELL washerwoman ..but someone looking in the ANCESTRY cenus found a MARY DODWELL list with children alfred annie and amy
Im also trying to find out if the dodwells were gypies ...mom said they were related to gypies

Annie this looks like the family in 1891:
Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Parish: St Saviours
Address: 1 Bk Of 35 Farm St.

DODWELL Maria Head M F 47 Warehouse Woman(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Handsworth
DODWELL Clara Dau S F 16 Button Maker(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
DODWELL Mary A. Dau S F 13 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
DODWELL Ellen Dau S F 11 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
DODWELL James Son S M 7 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham

Maria DODWELL, Head Married aged 54 born 1827 Birmingham,Washer Woman
Laura DODWELL, Daughter Single aged 18 born 1863 Birmingham,Housekeeper
David DODWELL, Son Single aged 10 born 1871 Birmingham
Clara DODWELL, Daughter Single aged 7 born 1874 Birmingham
Mary A DODWELL, Daughter Single aged 3 born 1878 Birmingham
Ellen L DODWELL, Daughter Single aged 2 born 1879 Birmingham

Maria DODWELL, Head Married aged 47 born 1844 Handsworth,Warehouse Woman
Clara DODWELL, Daughter Single aged 16 born 1875 Birmingham,Button Worker
Mary A DODWELL, Daughter aged 13 born 1878 Birmingham
Nellie DODWELL, Daughter aged 11 born 1880 Birmingham
James DODWELL, Son aged 7 born 1884 Birmingham

Clara married George Fulford in 1892.

Maria DODWELL, Head Married aged 56 born 1845 Birmingham
James H DODWELL, Son aged 17 born 1884 Birmingham,Diamond Mounter
Ellen L DODWELL, Daughter aged 21 born 1880 Birmingham,Servant (Domestic)
Nora A DODWELL, Boarder aged 27 born 1874 Servant Birmingham,(Domestic)

It appears that Mary Ann has left home by the time of the 1901 census?

what is strange is maria's husband is not list any where here but she give birth to james between 1891 1901

what i like to no is if mary a dodwell did get married why wasn't her last name change or mybe she married some one with the same last name hence the children have her maiden name

thanks pom and ladylinda at least now im getting somewhere ..it looks like chances are mary never married ...she and her children had her maiden name ...im guess she left home about age 18- cause her first child alfred is brn 1897-98 then annie 1899 and amy 1901

From 1901 census
1901 Address: 18, Harford Street, Birmingham
Frederick DODWELL, Head Married aged 33 born 1868 Coventry,Working Watch Maker
Mary DODWELL, Wife Married aged 30 born 1871 Coventry
Alfred DODWELL, Son aged 3 born 1898,Coventry
Annie DODWELL, aged 2 born 1899 Birmingham
Amy DODWELL, aged 1 Month aged 1901 Birmingham
In the 1891 census,Frederick was living with his parents at 45, Bond Street, Coventry St Michael, Coventry

wow thanks ladylinda this great

now i was looking at Aunt Amy and Grdma Annie Marriage cert which are on line at Nova Scotia Archives and Record Management ..they both list they mothet as Mary Dodwell of birmingham and father as Fredrick Lovegrove of coventry and both list they last names as Lovegrove if dodwell was their father why would they list Lovegrove ??? sorry to be so bothersom

You're not being bothersome at all :)
It's a good question!
Perhaps Mr Lovegrove had died or was already married?
Pehaps a birth certificate is required for clarification?
I can't see them on 1911 census at the moment.
But I'll look some more,later.

thanks linda your like avitar ..reminded me of a pair of high heels i tryed when i was younger and more adventuress an not scared of heights ... but alas i end up butt over tea kettle after trying to walk a few feet ..needless to say i am a swearn running shoe girl now!!

Last edited:

I looked at the document at Nova Scotia Archives and Record Management and it is a bit of a puzzle, isn't it?
I did find the following births if they are any help?
Births Jun 1899
Annie Lovegrove Birmingham 6d 113
Births Jun 1901
Amy Lovegrove Birmingham 6d 99
Births Mar 1898
Alfred Lovegrove Solihull 6d 669

I wouldn't be without my heels! :)
Being 5'1" I need them!!!
I buy at least a pair a month and most of my shoes have only been worn once or twice....some not at all! and some I don't even remember buying! :rolleyes:

thank you ladylinda its really good of you to help ...i have at this gene tree of mine for awhile...10yrs ago i didnt even know i had an aunties or uncles or that my auntie live less than 1mle from where i grew up ...when i mention it to my step father said he he knew of amy but thouhgt she was a friend of mothers
mom never said much about her family if ever talk about them..heck didnt even know mother had step brothers they both pass away before her birth henry at 3weeks and george at 17 ..the old saying skeletons in the closet

I looked at the document at Nova Scotia Archives and Record Management and it is a bit of a puzzle, isn't it?
I did find the following births if they are any help?
Births Jun 1899
Annie Lovegrove Birmingham 6d 113
Births Jun 1901
Amy Lovegrove Birmingham 6d 99
Births Mar 1898
Alfred Lovegrove Solihull 6d 669

I wouldn't be without my heels! :)
Being 5'1" I need them!!!
I buy at least a pair a month and most of my shoes have only been worn once or twice....some not at all! and some I don't even remember buying! :rolleyes:

linda does it give the name of the parents??
and one thing please ive try till i'm blue in the face ..to find Alfred lovegrove[dodwell] he seems to disapear i cant find him in the 1901 census or any where else ..i cant even find him in lds alive or dead
thank you

Back