• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dodds Family Tree Help

Michaela

A birmingham lassie
Hi.

I am seeking any information on my grandparents, both of whom have passed away.

Evelyn Morgan married Patrick Dodds in June 1946 at St Catherines Church Digbeth.

Census shows them living at 2 The Retreat, Bordesley Park Road, Birmingham in 1950. Names showing as Evelyn Dodds and Patrick Dodds.

I am looking for any information prior to this so I can start to trace back the family tree.

Many thanks
Michaela

MWS

master brummie
There's a death registered for an Evelyn May Dodds in Bham, Jun 1994. Dob is given as 9 Mar 1928.

There is a birth registered for an Evelyn M Morgan in Bham S, Jun qtr 1928. Mother's maiden name is listed as Booker.

There is a marriage between a Samuel Morgan and an Evelyn Booker registered in Bham S, Dec qtr 1927.

There are 3 other Morgan/Booker children listed prior to 1939 - Patricia J 1933, Mary E 1935, Janet I 1938.

On the 1939 register there is a Samuel and Evelyn Morgan listed living in Bham with 4 others (there records being closed implying they were born after 1916). Samuel is listed as being born in 1906 and Evelyn in 1908.

There is a death listed for a Samuel Morgan in Bham, Mar qtr of 1949 and a marriage listed for an Evelyn Morgan to an Alfred G Mullett in Bham, Jun qtr of 1954.

There is a death registered for an Evelyn Mullett in Bham, Sep qtr of 1986. Dob is given as 1 Dec 1908 which is the dob given for the Evelyn Morgan listed with Samuel on the 1939 register.

MWS

master brummie
There is birth registered for an Evelyn Booker in Aston, Mar qtr of 1909.

On the 1911 census there is an Evelyn Booker, birth listed as 1909, listed in the Bordesley sub district of Aston with parents Percy E (b1881 Bham) and Jane (b1880 Bham) and several siblings.

There is a marriage registered for a Percy Edgar Booker and a Jane Penn in Aston, Dec qtr 1901.

Percy & Jane are both listed in the censuses with family so it shouldn't be too difficult to go further back.

All the above fits but confirmation (certificates etc) would be wise.

Last edited:

MWS

master brummie
There is a birth registered for a Samuel Morgan in Aston, Sep qtr of 1906 but there are others listed around the same time so wouldn't be confident that it is the correct one.

There is a death registered for a Patrick Dodds in Bham, Jun 2001. Dob is given as 24 Feb 1922 but there is no equivalent birth listed in England or Wales so I'm guessing he was born in Scotland or Ireland which makes things a bit more tricky.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a family tree on ancestry relating to a Mark Andrew Dodds b 1963 died 1995
Patrick and Evelyn were his parents and it states that Patrick was born 24th Feb Belfast but no further information.

Michaela

A birmingham lassie
Alberta - this is amazing! Thank you so much. You are right Patrick Dodds lived in Ireland and came to Birmingham when he was 16. I am struggling to find any census information on his whereabouts until he Married Evelyn. This information is so useful. Thank you

pjmburns

master brummie
If you are on Ancestry then you should be able to contact the person whose tree Alberta is referring to. As Patrick did not come to England until 1938 there will be no census info available.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Patrick Dodds, presumably his mother born 1896 and shown as married, together with a sibling, Agnes born 1921, are shown living at 7 St Luke's Square, St Luke's Road, Birmingham on the 1939 Register. Also a lodger who presumably works with Agnes as both are mattress assemblers. No sign of a father though. Hope that helps.
Edit: Patrick is a cycle hub polisher.

Maurice

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tree on Ancestry gives Patrick b 1922 parents Albert Henry Dodds b Middlesborough circa 1897 and mother Josephine Kane born Belfast circa 1893/
Albert H Dodds died in Birmingham 1940 , Josephine Dodds in Birmingham 1974.
I have found Josephine Kane age 18 in 1911 living in the Falls Road, Belfast with parents James and Rose.
There is a record in Co. Down in 1911 Smyth family head John, listed with them are nephews and neices all Dodds
Marian Dodds age 16 b Middlesbro
Albert 14 b Middlesbro
Frederick age 13 b Belfast
Maggie age 9 b Middlesbro

Michaela

A birmingham lassie
Tree on Ancestry gives Patrick b 1922 parents Albert Henry Dodds b Middlesborough circa 1897 and mother Josephine Kane born Belfast circa 1893/
Albert H Dodds died in Birmingham 1940 , Josephine Dodds in Birmingham 1974.
I have found Josephine Kane age 18 in 1911 living in the Falls Road, Belfast with parents James and Rose.
There is a record in Co. Down in 1911 Smyth family head John, listed with them are nephews and neices all Dodds
Marian Dodds age 16 b Middlesbro
Albert 14 b Middlesbro
Frederick age 13 b Belfast
Maggie age 9 b Middlesbro
Thank you so much. This is really helpful

Michaela

A birmingham lassie
Do you know of any more about Josephine Kane's parents who lived in the Falls Road, Belfast with parents James and Rose. Does it show their surnames and DOB by any chance. I know details are hard with the information outside of the UK.
The record in Co. Down in 1911 Smyth family head John, listed with them are nephews and neices all Dodds. Does it show what connect John has with the family. They have the family name Dodds - my Mom's Dad was Patrick Dodds and he came to Birmingham when he was about 15. This die of my Mom's family tree is very limited with information - this is really helping understand his family in Belfast.

Michaela

A birmingham lassie
I have managed to get a lot of the family tree done through Ancestry - it's taken a lot of learning but I am finally getting there. I have reached a block on the family tree and have done as much searching as I can but to no avail. Can anyone help with the following: Samuel Morgan married Elizabeth Morgan in Birmingham. I have no birth dates or marriage dates on them but I know they had a son named Henry Morgan who was born in 1880. Cannot find any information on the parents; Samuel or Elizabeth. Any pointers would be really great.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
had a look on the 1881 census and the only henry morgan i can find that was born in 1880 is living in guildford st aged 1 with parents john and annie morgan and also brother edward j morgan aged 3

lyn

Michaela

A birmingham lassie
Just checking it all back and his parents are definitely Elizabeth and Samuel. They are listed on his marriage document. I'll keep searching.....

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
ive found a marriage cert for henry morgan info below (marr certs only give fathers name not the mothers) and also found a baptism dated 1881 which states his father is samuel mother mary ann

Name: Henry Morgan
Birth Date: abt 1880
Marriage Date: 25 Dec 1903
Marriage Place: Deritend, St John The Baptist, Warwickshire, England
Parish as it Appears: Deritend, St John The Baptist
Search Photos: Search for 'Deritend, St John The Baptist' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Father: Samuel Morgan
Spouse: Agnes Mavity

Last edited:

MWS

master brummie
Just checking it all back and his parents are definitely Elizabeth and Samuel. They are listed on his marriage document. I'll keep searching.....

Mother's name isn't usually listed on a marriage certificate. If Elizabeth is listed as a witness then she could be another relative.

Henry Morgan who marries Agnes Mavity is probably the son of Samuel Morgan & Mary Ann Tyler.

Here's his baptism - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NB1K-GVV

Mary Ann dies in 1888.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi MWS yes thats the bapt and marr i found..one of the witnesses was an elizabeth morgan who could have been the sister of henry morgan

lyn

MWS

master brummie
Sorry lyn didn't notice that first bit. Does it list his occupation as bicycle polisher? That's what is in 1901 and 1911. Father's an ironplate worker in 1901.