• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Doctors

I remember Dr Aberdeen as a nice doctor. I remember too the shelties that he had stuffed when they died, and they were in his consulting room! I believe the building he practiced in was sold to ATV. He used to abandon his car in the middle of the road rather than park it! He was a very very observant doctor and often knew why the patient was attending his surgery before they had sat down!

My wife used the surgery on Chester road and recalls how the Doctor used to tell the patients in the waiting room to get back to work, similar to the Doctor we used in Great Barr who was the Post Office Doctor and never believed in sick notes, how times have changed.

Talking of doctors in Shard End, mine was an old Polish chap called Dr Nitzke, who had his surgery in an old house in School Lane, near the junction with the Chester Road. The waiting room was the front room, only small. As soon os one patient left the back consulting room, the next one went in. No appointments then! That room was dark with a very old gas fire. When you sat down he used to peer at you over his desk with his small glasses. A man of few words. I had a soft spot for him as he delivered me when I was born at home. After he retired he lived in Timberley Lane.

Park%20Lane%20004.jpgjust found this photo...is this the doctor masseys surgery at park lane that has been mentioned on this thread..

lyn

In the 1950`s i lived in Gt Colmore st Edgebaston our doctor was Dr Lorset in Cregoe St i remember as a lovely man as i spent a lot of time at the doctors when i was a child.
When we moved to Aston and lived in Tower Road it was Dr Gittins across Park Lane down another road which i can`t remember.

We had two Doctors at our surgery in Great Barr, Drs Calderwood and McConnel, the waiting room was always full when Dr McConnel was on duty but usually half empty when Dr Calderwood was on. We all lived in fear of Dr Calderwood as he was the Post Office Doctor and certainly didn't suffer fools gladly.

When we lived in Ford Street our Doctors was on the corner of Farm Street and Villa Street. Dr Target and his son, who was also the Aston Villa's Doctors.

Dr deReybekill (not sure if I spelt that right) in Grove Lane was our doctor. I remember the funny green chairs in the waiting room and waiting for the buzzer to go which invited the next victim, I mean patient, to cross the hallway and enter the surgery. He was a nice old chap and came out to see me once when I was off school with measles - except I remember mom getting very embarassed and apologising that I was playing outside in the garden instead of resting indoors. I remember him syringing a blocked ear once with water which must have come direct from the Arctic - he said it was warm!! It made me cry and he drew a picture of a rabbit with big ears to cheer me up! Is there a thread about dentists somewhere?

HI THERE
Does anybody recal a doctor smith on white head rd aston ;he used to have a big american caddliac pink in fact
parked out side is surgery and he had a steel bars fitted to his surgery door windows
it was oppersite the old white swann pub on the corner of whitehead rd and victoria rd
way back in the late fiftys he started to charge his patients 50 pence per visit but they soon told him where to go and some
Patients changed there doctor emediately he got in to trouble by the NHS and was stopped our aunty edith whom lived in park street next to the vine pub was a patient of his we lived across the rd from his surgery at 47 victoria rd
but every time edith visit us whe calling at the doctors she would pop over and have a cuppa tea with mother
as my mom was her sister inlaw my dads sister and she said guess what we have to pay fifty pence per visit so i think i will be changing she said and so she did
I reckon it was to cover the petrol cost of his yankee car ; best wishes Astonian

I was a patient of Dr Smiths in the 1960,s. I seem to recall that his surgury was in the area by the Vine ( we lived in Wainwright St ). I thought he started charging around 1965 and then moved his surgury to Whitehead Rd. We then moved to a doctor who I belive was Polish

HI Steve
thats correct my aunt lived at number 10 park street ten house from the vine pub
and wainwright street was at the bottom so you would remember dyson hall then
best wishes astonian;

We lived six doors down from Dyson Hall. I have book I was given celebrating the 50th anniversary of Dyson Hall. I will find it out and post it on here.

My Doctor was Chitnis Coleshill Road Castle Bromwich, back in the 60´s, remember his father, who probally was due to retire late 60´s, his son worked there and was a Police doctor as well, he was a very abrupt Doctor and not a lot of people used to like going to him but on the other hand he was also a very good doctor. His son is also a Doctor same practice. There first Surgery was a 3 bed room house over he road from Hunters Moon, then they moved up to a house facing Clock Garage and i think they have also got one in Castle Bromwich.

I rembember the first surgery (before mobiles) and if the surgery wanted to attract the Doctor when he was passsing (outside surgery hours) tgey used to put a coloured card in the window to ask him to pop in .

hi steve ;
please do post it on here and incidently i can remember your house as i was at the sunday school in there and also
my brothers and myself was in the boys brigade and the life bouys there and i new the kids on the opersite corner a right tough lot they
was just likealotof the kids and family up wainwright street my cousin from number 10 married ensor [ roger ] in the park street ;
val marsden my cousin along with christine and sheila her sisters and my brother married a bagshaw around the cornerhe still married
to her now lives in tamworth best wishes astonian;;

Dr Simon(corner of Aylesbury Cres & Warren Farm Road) in Kingstanding was my doc when I was born but what I remember most was he scared me half to death when ever I had to go to see him.There must be plenty on the forum who had him as their family doctor as his practice went for nigh on half a century I believe.Any with recollections?

just going back to dr targets corner of farm st/villa st i am still on the look out for a photo of that corner...ive got a pic of the other 3 corners but as yet not that one...i remember the surgery well..

lyn

On the diagonal corner to Dr Targets, there was a Distpensary and Dr Riechenfeld came there during the war. It was said that he escaped from Austria.with his family. I think we paid 4 Pence a month . he was an excellent Dr. My dad had Dr Hamilton. and he was very good..

Jean.

Back