• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Doctors

Does anyone remember Dr Hamilton in Summer Lane. As child i remember it being a pokey little room with a family living upstairs. When ever i see Pink medicine it always reminds me of him.

Doctor Gould was our doctor when we lived in Aston,his manner could be quite scary,but I always thought him an excellent doctor. He delivered my brother at home, he was nearly 2 months premature and was whisked off to Sorrento, he survived against all the odds. His surgery was quite a formidable place , but he always had time for you.

Astonite Dr Freshwater was the same and I used to suffer a lot with ear ache and ended up in hospital the once. I remember him explaining in detail about the working of the ear and I have never forgot that and it came in handy at school when a question came up in our exam. Jean.

hi guys
our family doctor in aston was on park rd just past the shops on the left hand side heading towards the church
on the other side was the scary doctors our doctor was dr grayson he knew is stuff and he was a true gentleman
when we left aston many years later and i had become an adult we moved to ladywood and we had a new dr and he was called dr tracy
and thats where i discovered he was the doctor that brought me and some of brothers into the world
apparently dr tracy was an surgeon as well and is surgery was in ingleby st facing the old dance pali which after the war becamer bulpitts then swan brand
just up from the spring hill libary which if the truth was known i bet i owe them afew bob for none returning of books still not to worry
and of course bulpitts then extended and built oppersite the libary and summer hill
all the best astonion

Jean consider yourself lucky you were'nt Dr Goulds patient, its bad enough being sick and then having to go and sit in a very depressing waiting room, but l'm only remembering all this through a childs eye, but there again in those days long ago l imagine all doctores waiting rooms were anything but cheerie....Brenda

Astonite, glad someone is out there who remembers Dr Gould, l know you can relate to my being scared of him,...but like you said ,he was an excellen doctor and remember him making house calls and always warmed his hands before he examined you...he had a very grough approach but looking back now he could,nt have been as bad as l thought if he warmed his hands.....took me years to realise this...Brenda

We lived in Nursery Rd, Hockley until 1967, Bridgit and Bernard ( Benny to family and friends) Dempsey our home was Flat 2 / 17 Nursery Rd, The house was owned by a Dr Mc Graw ? or Dr Mc Carthey ? mum is not sure of his name, i was only five so cannot recall it all. Mum recently told me the house oiriginally was a Victorian Doctors Practice. If anyone has any photos of Nursery Road i would absolutely love to see it all again as it was when we left :)

I do indeed remember Dr D Humpheries on Gerrard St. In fact, that is who my mom named me after. He looked after our family for countless years covering the whole range of kids illnesses with, I recall, the occassional house call which is very much a thing of the past.

Re: Doctor Whiley

i my self dont remember it but my doctor in the 60s-70s was a doctor wiley at greenbank nechells dont know if it is same doc but different surgery

As a kid living in Sheldon I remember going to Dr Donovan at the Swan Yardley too. All I can remember was that he always seemed very kind and had time for you. When we moved to Dorridge our GP was Dr Thorpe and we called him Gentleman George, he was lovely.

when a little boy in edgbaston Dr Rose, he always had a flower in his lapel, and sweet in his pocket and a lovelly smile, in weoley castle Dr Judge, a big Irishman with hands the size of bog shovels, brisque but good, sewed my hand up once with no anasthetic when I was about 10yrs old.
paul

Does anyone remember Dr Gubbins? He was our doctor from Ashted Row later moving to the new health centre at Greenbank House. He always used to ask my Mom to choose what she thought was the best pills to give to her. You could hardly breathe in his surgery as he seemed to be a chain smoker. I did love him though he was a kind man.

Hi, I'm moving out to Cotteridge with my Doctor memory. We went to Dr. McCulloch on Middleton Hall Road. He had been with the Royal Army Medical Corps during WW2, but had always been my Mom's and my grandparents' doctor. He didn't suffer fools gladly but was a caring family doctor. However, because he delivered me I suppose, he was quick to give advice which was probably medically sound, but as a teenage girl I really didn't want to be told that I should be wearing a vest when he wanted to listen to my chest. However, at the same appointment he also told me off for going to the surgery as I wasn't well enough to be out and I should have phoned for a home visit. Can you imagine doctors today saying that!!

Hi,

When I lived in the Stechford area in the 1950's/early 60's,
our doctor was Dr. Segall in Victoria Road. He used to prescribe
Disprin for just about everything! I also remember
Dr Ozimek in Station Road, and Dr Artingstall in Wash Lane.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi dave
i can recall dr seagul very well; it was my late
mother inlaws doctor and no wonder the nhs is going bankrupt
he was giving out pills by the thousands my dear old late mother inlaw died some years back she lived up mannor rd
and she had a liking for the codine pills she must have gone there every week for a supply she never really needed them but she stocked piled them when she died we found about fifty boxes full of them ; its abit like out here in worcestshire
we had a new doctor come out in the practice and he prescribed pills for my old dutchess;she is just the opersite
she said no i do not want them ; he said thats amazing you are the first patient out to decline he said they are giving out to people
in this practice like smarties ; ; this new doc ; came from staffordshire
i know of another doc; in brum ; is just the oppersite he encourages people to skank the system ; his motto get what you can out of the system what do you want me to put on your note astonian;

Hi,does anyone remember the doctors houses on Ashted Row,Dr Tigh was the first house,it had a large bay window in the gable end.The next house was Dr O'keefe who was our doctor his daughter Eileen became a doctor and joined the practise,she later became Dr Attwood,i remember Dr O'keefe vaguely he smoked in the surgery.I remember Eileen Attwood better she knew and called everyone by first names,i remember going for my jabs as a kid and 4 people had to hold me down it was still the same when they moved to nechells health centre.Those were the days before computers.

Used to live on the corner of Streetly and Shortheath Road Erdington, and our doctor was Dr Condon, who was in the first house past the Short Heath Shops going down Streetly Rd (65 bus terminus). Buchans the chemist was the last shop on that side

Dr Burgess was our doctor when we lived in Handsworth. His surgery was on Soho Road opposite the few shops which joined the corner of Villa Road. A lovely man and always willing to come out and see you at home if you couldn't get to the surgery and always had time to talk to you.

Used to live on the corner of Streetly and Shortheath Road Erdington, and our doctor was Dr Condon, who was in the first house past the Short Heath Shops going down Streetly Rd (65 bus terminus). Buchans the chemist was the last shop on that side

Remember him well, Irish guy; smoked cigars while telling you that you should stop smoking.

No appointment, you just took a seat in the waiting room and took your turn; he had a buzzer button hanging from the ceiling by his desk.

Just him and his wife running the whole lot. He lived well into his eightys.

Back