• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Doctors

Yes it is. He upset a lot of people and my Dad couldn't stand him. We only lived up the road by Shard End British Legion from his surgery. Often my Dad had words with him. I can remember him being in the paper once for negligence!

I don't think there was an All Saints primary shool. was there? At least I never heard of one. Did the doctor you are on about have a surgery in Shard End Crescent?

Terry

No there isn't an All Saint's Primary, only the church. My mistake and corrected!

Last edited:
Does anyone remember Dr Gubbins. He was up there by Ashted Row and moved to Greenbank House when it opened. I would just love a photograph of him.
My Mother was a particular favorite of him and he would always ask her what antibiotics she thought would be best!
He always gave us that wonderful Black cough medicine.
Oh Happy Days!
Amanda

Hi Amanda

Yes I remember Dr Gubbins . Was there another Dr , I seem to recall the name of Dr Tighe or something like that ? I vaguely remember Mum having a card that she used to pay money on . It all seems a million years away , but reading the memories of everyone else on this brilliant site does help to jog the old memory.

Isobel

Yes Dr Tighe was also in Ashted Row and moved to Greenbank house. I cant believe that we are the only 2 folk on this site that remember Dr Gubbins.
regards
Amanda

Dr Gubbins was our Doctor, me dad Stan was caretaker of Greenbank House 1961- 1970 and when the surgery was closed anybody needing a doctor would either have to press a button in the foyer of Greenbank or phone the surgery both led to either our house (66) or the other caretaker next door (68) and still can remember being woken up at all hours of the night.

old2.jpg

One of my earliest memories was of a doctor visiting us in Edgbaston and waiting for my mother to find a few pence she was short of as his fee.My father then arrived from work paid him his money he then gave it to me,but my parents gave it him back.This was just before the N.H.S of course and my parents often spoke about those days.Dr.Heaton of Great Colmore st was a good doctor and surgeon,he was well liked by everyone .We moved to Quinton in 1960 and our doctors were Dr. Prem and Dr. Daniels of Worlds End Lane.Dr.Daniels adored my grandmother,he called her mother and allowed us to see him privately.My Grandmothers Dr.previously in Edgbaston was Dr. Glass who became lord mayor of Birmingham.My maternal grandmother rarely saw a conventional Dr. ,she used to visit a herbalist in Broad st.Mary

Dr glass was my doctor also his surgery was on the corner of oliver road, he had a young doctor working with him by the name of doctor ferguson, dr ferguson remained my doctor until 1986 he seen me through my pregnancys he was a lovely man, when the surgery closed in oliver road they moved to morville street and it is still a doctors surgery
regards anniekei

Hi
I was also a patient of Dr Wand in late 40's early 50's and he was very old then. think he was replaced by Dr Macgregor who was there for years. He also had a younger Doctor working with him called Dr Maher/Maier he was very dishy and I always wanted to see him!! I always remember a story about Dr Macgregor. When my youngest brother was born he was quite small but always crying and when mother took him to see the doctor he said 'Madam this child is hungry, feed him'! My brother never looked back after that and he ended up a very large boy!!

:angel: Jill I have just posted an answer to your other post on the Balsall Heath Topic. We lived in Dymoke St.

Jacqueline, I also went to Dr Wand as a child from around 2-9 years of age when our end of Dymoke St was demolished. He was really smashing and treated me when I got bitten by a dog, as well as all those other childhood illnesses we seemed to get. His surgery at that time was situated in a whitewashed building on the corner of Conybere St and William Henry St. When you went in the door there was a large room with a little office where all the records were kept and the receptionist sat at a little hatch. There were rows and rows of brown chairs with little coloured cards on the back : Blue, Green, Red and yellow and you sat in the row that had your Dr's colour on it. When they were ready for the next paitent a coloured bulb would light up at the front of the room with the colour of your Dr and the Buzzer would go. Everyone sat in the order in which they had entered the reception, there was never any queue jumping unless it was an emergency, like when I'd had the dog bite.

I have some old pic's of the area and maps if you need them.

Chris :angel:

Hi
I was also a patient of Dr Wand in late 40's early 50's and he was very old then. think he was replaced by Dr Macgregor who was there for years. He also had a younger Doctor working with him called Dr Maher/Maier he was very dishy and I always wanted to see him!! I always remember a story about Dr Macgregor. When my youngest brother was born he was quite small but always crying and when mother took him to see the doctor he said 'Madam this child is hungry, feed him'! My brother never looked back after that and he ended up a very large boy!!
I remember Dr Wand and Dr Macgregor also the very good looking Dr Maher being at the surgery together for a time, Dr Wand used to visit my employer at the business address [she was a private patient] about 1965/6. Once I had an occasion to take my baby daughter who just would not sleep at night Dr Macgregor suggested a wee drop of whisky in her last bottle , tried a tiny drop but it did not work. When Dr Macgregor retired we had a collection from most of his patients and gave him a party and gifts at the nearby residents hall . My mother told me that before the N.H.S. for people who could not afford to pay,Dr Macgregor would give fresh fruit and deliver on his bicycle. Malta [wendy]

my mom who lived in delhi terrace ,angelina street said i was delivered by doctor wand and i am now 66

Hello All

Does anyone remember this GP?

There was also another one called (cant spell it) Stepelcoski, or something sounding similar.

I can remeber Dr Rogowski telling my mom off as she was always in the sugery worrying her kids, i can remeber the receptionist call Bet.
He also gave my mom some 'sleeping draft' for us.....in a brown glass jar, and it was pink. To this day i dont know what it was.......i reckon some kind of mild tranquliser ...i wouldnt mind, but we werent even hyperactive lol.

I know after Rogowski died it was taken over by Dr Cobb - sadly i beleive he died at quite a young age.

Dr.Blackstock lived next door to his surgery opposite the old 'Bulls Head' pub on the border of Yardley/Hay Mills. The whole thing was a big old Victorian house, very spooky and when you were sitting in the waiting room you could hear the Blackstock children running around, getting ready for school.
The surgery had 'oilcloth' on the floor, ricketty old chairs in a semi-circle and a big old fire-place.
When Dr.Blackstock was examining you (in my case usually listening to my chest as I suffered from childhood asthma) nine times out of ten, he would have a fag dangling from his lips.
Can you imagine that these days?

The address of the Wand Medical Centre is 279 Gooch Street. I'm interested as this was, I understand, the address of my grandfather (John Connelly, a tailor) between WW1 and the thirties. I never met him because my father and his brothers fell out with their father. I'm interested to know what sort of building it was. The present one looks too modern. I understand that Kelly's 1910 gives a fire station on the site.

hello Jill, i lived in ballsal heath till about 1964 and for years my doctor was drDeary, a very nice gentleman.

shardeen

I used to live in Thomas Street and I too remember Dr Wand & Dr Macgregor, as a child I had regular bouts of tonsillitis and remember sitting in the waiting room with all the coloured light bulbs which used to flash when it was your turn, everyone used to speak very highly of these Doctors and had the greatest respect for them.
June (wife of Chris B)

i had a doctor gupta i used to call him on warick road i was born in 1970 and i remember i had measles at 5 and he came out to me i really liked him he was called out several times for me , i wander if it was the same doc

hope2find, Dr Dasgupta's surgery was on the corner of Fox Hollies and Warwick. I remember him as getting on in years and I believe he was Nigerian. His son took over the practice when he retired. I don't know your age so I wouldn't know if you saw the old man or the son. Being born here, I imagine the son spoke with less of an accent that the old man. I never saw the son but my unmarried brother was his patient up until he died 4 years ago. We could go to old man Guptas surgery without an appointment and know we would be seen. Medicine might have improved but the G.P. service has gone backwards in my opinion.
Trevor.

Back