• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Doctors

Anns, Not of Dr James ,but Dr John his brother whose surgery was at the far End of the High street opposite the Congregational Church,
He was a wonderful man as was his colleague Dr Throne.

Hello Alberta, Thank you for your reply.

I didn't realise Dr James had a brother doctor, i always thought his wife was also a GP.

Rob, many thanks for the information, I thought that perhaps it was just a GPs surgery but it would appear to have been more than that.
I think this requires some more investigation as both my wife and I are a little puzzled as to why her Grandmother would have died at the address.
Hi reddi Kate Mathews/saragine was my grandmother.she had gone the doctors with chest pain he said it was nothing .she dropped dead in the doorway on her way out.told to me by her daughter my mum ,Mildred coles.I have more info about nana.her family.

Hi Reddi,Kate Mathews /Saragine was my nanna.She had gone to the doctors with chest pain,he said it was nothing.She dropped dead in the doorway on the way out.told to me by her daughter Mildred ,my mother

Hi Reddi,Kate Mathews /Saragine was my nanna.She had gone to the doctors with chest pain,he said it was nothing.She dropped dead in the doorway on the way out.told to me by her daughter Mildred ,my mother
Hi Jennym, Mildred Coles (or Millie as she was known) was my wifes Fathers (Albert Coles) Sister. Unfortunately my wife, Margaret passed away in January this year, but at the interment of her ashes at our local church last week attended by Alberts two other children, Bryan & Susan, mention was made of Millie. I have been putting together a family history of my wifes side (as well as my own) and though she is longer with us I am still keen to keep on with it so that our own two Sons and 4 grandchildren have knowledge of the wider family connections

I remember uncle Albert fondly.he did paperfolding tricks for me when I was a child and swept our chimney he was a beautiful human.

I remember uncle Albert fondly.he did paperfolding tricks for me when I was a child and swept our chimney he was a beautiful human.
Mum,Mildred married dad,Frederick John Rayment in 1946
Richard,Roger,Jenny ,Robin,Cheryl,Jayne all came to Australia on the fairsea in 1960,then Chris,Wayne,and Patricia were born.Aunty Joans daughter Jean came to live in Queensland with husband Eddy,an army sergeant.Jean died last year,of dementia.Aunty Joan ,I think died of dementia too.Mildred diedJune 17 2002.heart disease.Dad died in nursing home 2010 from a stroke.

hi folks my old doctors surgery 172 garretts green lane in sheldon dr r chopra does anyone have any memories of her?
I know now she is part time there and her son mainly works there. any memories ?

hi folks my old doctors surgery 172 garretts green lane in sheldon dr r chopra does anyone have any memories of her?
I know now she is part time there and her son mainly works there. any memories ?
When I lived in the area that surgery was run by a New Zealander, Dr Robertson and Dr Pryce-Jones. This would have been 1948-68

dr firth and and dr carolan were our doctors..i think their surgery was in little king st..anyhow it was close to lucas gt king st...dr carolan went on to practice at the newtown health centre...i remember the old surgery so well..there was always a cat sitting on the examination bed and the room was filled with smoke .. dr firth always offered our mom a ciggie went she went in....imagine getting away with that these days...

lyn
Thanks for the post, Astoness. I was looking for a map of Birmingham around 1950 and found your post. I remember both the Drs. Dr. Firth was a lovely man always kind. Dr. Carolan was just the opposite always sour to me anyway. Still good old days.

We had two Doctors at our surgery in Great Barr, Drs Calderwood and McConnel, the waiting room was always full when Dr McConnel was on duty but usually half empty when Dr Calderwood was on. We all lived in fear of Dr Calderwood as he was the Post Office Doctor and certainly didn't suffer fools gladly.

I've just picked up on this thread - Dr McConnell was my family doctor, in fact he delivered me into the world!
My Nan's doctor was Dr Calderwood and my parents were living with her at the start of their marriage and my mother expected him to attend the confinement and was quite embarrassed when Dr McConnell turned up as he was a young man then and of a similar age!

They were originally in a house on the Walsall Road and later Dr Calderwood moved up to the Health Centre at Tower Hill. I believe Dr McConnell moved to the Derby area and Dr Calderwood was joined by his son and later his daughter in law, also a Dr Calderwood!

Old Dr Calderwood always seemed a bit scary, however when my grandad was alive and very ill with TB he was apparently brilliant, he used to call in to see him, unasked, and would sit and chat with him - I can't imagine any GP would do that today. My Nan thought very highly of him and after she moved to the Worcestershire countryside he always remembered her.

If my mother was at the surgery she used to feel very sorry when no one wanted to see him - he would come out of his office and look around - so she used to go in and see him!

After he had retired he sadly got dementia before he passed away.

Our doctor was Dr. Butler and his wife whose practice was in a house on Reservoir Road Erdington. It was a few doors from the shops, Stockland Green end. He and his wife were also surgeons and did small operations in the back room. I had an abcess on my ear and they put me to sleep and lanced it. I wont go into all the gory details of some days later. But before they lanced it I had to have it plastered with the old black jack ointment for a week before hand. It really stunk. But they were wonderful doctors and mom nearly had a heart attack when he told her he was retiring
My grandmothers doctor.
Bob

Our doctor was Dr. Butler and his wife whose practice was in a house on Reservoir Road Erdington. It was a few doors from the shops, Stockland Green end. He and his wife were also surgeons and did small operations in the back room. I had an abcess on my ear and they put me to sleep and lanced it. I wont go into all the gory details of some days later. But before they lanced it I had to have it plastered with the old black jack ointment for a week before hand. It really stunk. But they were wonderful doctors and mom nearly had a heart attack when he told her he was retiring
Your reply Johnny brought back a memory of both Drs Butler and an associate Dr 'Con' and the story of my boil on my stomach. In 1954 I had a boil on my stomach at my belt line and Dr. Butler gave me the black tar treatment X2 then on the third go-around he decided to lance it. Here I digest in 1943 at the age of two I had major surgery to untie my intestines which at birth had not untangled themselves. My boil was on my belt line but also at the top of my scar, Dr. Butlers' decision to lance it was made as he had a suspicion of its cause confirmed when he probed and found the knot from a stitch that had not completely pulled out eleven years prior.
I remember the different number of rings on the bell Dr. Butler 1 his wife 2 and Dr 'Con' 3 and how, if the made-up your medication, it was left in the box to the right of the front door a couple of hours later.

My Birth Mother's said her GP in Moseley was Dr Sanderland, a very empathetic man who came to see my Birth father who had PWT and because he refused to go to the surgery about his drinking and violence and anger management, and got a punch in the face for his trouble. The doctor was carpeted. No action was taken I wonder would it be now? I can only get a telephone consultation. But...the huge house their flat was in, the tenants were mostly professional people, including a young Dr Sanderson, two very similar names and a nurse, Mary Reilly. Next door but one was Dr Frank Alexander also a young GP and his wife Nancy.
I remember our own surgery not in Brum though, as a child, with real battle axe receptionists, you got a grunt if you were lucky, glaring over a half door, even Nan would hope not to get the matriarch with spectacles on a chain. Patients queued out in to the front garden which had a giant monkey puzzle tree in it, and then in to the street sometimes. In the office reception there was a cork board full of notes pinned on it, there was a vertical tiered file on the wall, to get your prescriptions from. Is my prescription ready? Have you looked! Was barked back, the spectacles chains dancing. The dragon glared over them at Nan and down at me, being very small. The waiting room was a living room, with leaded windows and a bay window, dingy, because of the huge tree, with an oilcloth floor, and rows of kitchen chairs and around the bare walls, and you had to ask who was waiting for who and am I after you,. Nan used to ask, who do I follow for Dr Bee? I found this funny and imagined a giant bee with clothes. I liked the buzzer and the red light came on. I never worked out how we got to see the correct GP.

As a kid I was always taken to see Dr Heard/Herd/Hird at the surgery near The Fold at Pool Farm, Kings Norton. I remember him as a thin, balding man and I was told he had been taken prisoner by the Japanese during WWII, a horrendous experience. Anyone have any memories of him?

Found this thread by chance.
Dr Michael Massey jnr was our gp when I was a small child living off Aston Lane. Then we moved or he did and we changed to dr Larry Pike’s surgery in Birchfield. Dr Helmy was my mum’s doctor there. When she was 35 and feeling very ill he accused her of attention seeking, dad insisted on a second opinion and dr Helmy wrote to the effect she was attention seeking in referral letter to consultant at General hospital who then dismissed mum out of hand at the consultation. So Dad paid for mum to see Dr Massey as a private patient. Dr Massey knew what it was as soon as he saw her and called the ambulance immediately and saved mum’s life. I remember sitting in his surgery waiting room and him telling me mum was going to hospital and he’d rung dad at work to fetch me.
Mum was in hospital a long time and was unwell over a year. She got a letter that Dr Helmy was struck off and the consultant removed from his post. Dr Michael Massey saved her life just in time. He was a remarkable doctor. Mum lived over half a century after that. She passed away last year in her eighties. We have always been so grateful to dr Massey.

Back