• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DO YOU REMEMBER THE 40s?

The Baron

master brummie
"ITMA",Tommy Handley,Colonel Chin-strap,Mrs Mopp " CAN I DO YOU NOW SIR" & many other Radio programs & event's.
Let's have your memories of the time before TELEVISION?
ASTON

In addition to Dick Barton the other sleuths of the day were Paul Temple was his theme "The Coronation Express"?. Philip O'Dell the Irish Detective and his theme tune of the "Irish washerwoman"

I remember they put these characters in a murder mystery called "The night of the 29th" I cannot recall the plot but it must have been a mismatch but it's title has stuck in my memory.
It must have been, like a lot in their day, a live broadcast for try as I can I have never found a recording of it.

Hi Willoughby, It was "THE Coronation scott" for Paul Temple. Can you remember who played Paul Temple & the lady who played his wife?
ASTON

I can remember: Family Favourites " With a Smile and a Song" Sunday lunch time

Worker's Playtime

Meet the Huggetts - Joe and Eth

Dick Barton-Special Agent- The wonderful "Devil's Gallop" opener

Much Binding in the Marsh

Music While You Work

Billy Cotton Band Show " Somebody stole my Gal"

Have A go - Wilfred Pickles- "Give 'er the money Mabel"

Children's Favourites

Children's Hour

Listen with Mother

Housewives Choice

In Town Tonight "Once more we stop the mighty roar of London's
traffic...."

Henry Hall's Guest Night

Music While You Work

Educating Archie

Ray's a Laugh

The radio was always on at our house it seems.

EDUCATING ARCHIE now that just has to take the biscuit, a ventriloquist on the RADIO. :knuppel2:

Di , your to up to date! ::)The old original Paul Temple was Kim Peacock, wife Steve was played by Marjorie Westbury. you must be younger than me.LOL ;D I HOPE I GOT THE SPELLING RIGHT? ::)
ASTON

Alf ,Arr Uncle Mac, I remember him well. O0
A trip to the news theatre in high street? or new street? to catch up with the pictorial news of the day.
REMEMBER: ::)

I must have fast forwarded a good few years in my memory Aston. I never would have come up with those names, although as soon as I read them - bingo. :)

Mrs Dale's Diary - or was that the 50's - I'm worried about Jim.

Saturday Night Theatre.

Old Mother Riley at the flicks.

Rupert, once again I think you mean the late Sid James, but his 1st partner was Bill Maynard. Do you not remember all those sweaters Bill wore. DO NOT REMEMBER Hattie in HANCOCKS 1/2 HOUR. SHE WAS WITH ERIC SYKES as his sister. (cannot remember the show?)

Apparently my memory for names is as bad as you say yours is.  'Once again' ???

Hancock's peak years
Working with scripts from Ray Galton and Alan Simpson the show lasted for five years and over a hundred episodes, featuring Sid James, Bill Kerr, Kenneth Williams and over the years Moira Lister, Andr饠Melly and (Hattie Jacques.) In the radio series, the James character would often be dishonest and exploit Hancock's apparent gullibility, while there appeared to be a

May not be strictly 40s but whose counting. 'Once again'???

Back