• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DO YOU REMEMBER THE 40s?

Silly me, sorry I got my coppers mixed up, both good programmes, BBC radio 7 are serializing Paul Temple this week. Pam

a25.jpeg
I may not be in the correct decade with this but I have memories of Gert & Daisy being mentioned or advertised quite a lot when I was very young. This also revives memories of 'Workers Playtime', ooh dear radio in those days used to be so interesting.

Am I correct in thinking Jack Warner, the actor was their brother ???, Personally I was never a Gert and Daisy fan but did like Jack Warner. Eric

hi

unfortunately i can only remember the bombsites left behind. my earliest listening s were children's at 5-00
on the radio. tv didn't come into my world till 1953 the coronation.
my favourite was dick barton but taken away from us lads to be given ambridge. horror continued
pc 49 with brian reece he went i think he was ill with leukaemia.
its a hard thread as most of my memories are in the 50's

mike jenks
Out you go 49! Bernard

Thanks Speedie for confirmation. was trying to think of the actor who played a young policeman with Jack Warner in the Blue Lamp (as Bernard said 'Evening All') and was his fictional Son in Law, a blond curly headed bloke if I remember correctly (again!!!). Eric

Both right - in the film "The Blue Lamp", Andy Mitchell was played by Jimmy Hanley and in the TV series "Dixon of Dock Green" it was Andy Crawford played by Peter Byrne.

And did you know PC Dixon was named after George Dixon School in Brum? The Blue Lamp was produced by Michael Balcon, a former pupil of George Dixon School.

Did any one see the film 'No Room at the Inn' 1948. I was taken to see it with my parents and has stuck in my mind since then. An early kitchen sink drama but it reflected the life of many friends I grew up with. Probably sowed the seeds in me for a taste for good drama.

HI MIKE ;
Yes you are correct i can recll jimmy handly in is younger days he played alot of parts during is acting carrer
and in our houe we always tuned in to te dixon of dock green and do you recall whom played andy dixons son inlaw ;
in the programe ; best wishes astonian;;

Did any one see the film 'No Room at the Inn' 1948. I was taken to see it with my parents and has stuck in my mind since then. An early kitchen sink drama but it reflected the life of many friends I grew up with. Probably sowed the seeds in me for a taste for good drama.
I remember "No Room at the Inn",it was quite infamous at the time.The story of evacuees taken in by a wicked woman,who wore a satin blouse,and only did it for the money..

That's right Ray. It was quite scary for a young lad. I sure my parents wouldn't have taken me with them if they had known but maybe they had no choice. I have seen copies for sale on ebay but the condition sounds a bit iffy. I have found a link on You Tube which claims to be the whole film but I haven't had chance to watch it yet.

Hi

Yep His daughter Jenney Hanley was a film star and of course his wife Dinah Sheridan of Meet the Huggets(Jane)
and the mother in the Railway Children Jenney ran TV,s Magpie for several years. What a famous Family.
Jimmy remarried in 1953 and died in 1970.

mike jenks

Well i can assure you old boy
Its written in black and white print and catologed in the book it was written by the auther
And photograpth i had taken it from
Astonian,,,,,

The report from the Mail at the time said...

"With with a series of amazing stunts, in which it was impossible to tell whether he was upside down, on his own keel or diving straight at the Hall of Memory. The Spitfire thrilled tens of thousands. They leaned out of the office windows and stood on the top of the highest buildings, entralled by these example of the might of the fighting RAF. At times the pilot brought his machine in a terrific swoop down to within 300 feet of the admiring populace. The roar of the engine as he passed over their heads at something that must have been approaching 400 miles an hour easily drowned the sounds of their cheers..."

In 1949 I was at Handsworth Tech and we often went into Handsworth Park at lunchtime and on one occasion we watched a Mosquito aircraft do very low passes and mild acrobatics over the park for at least 20 minutes. When the plane banked we could clearly see the pilots.

Back