• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dixon Road School

Re: Dixon Road School

and a couple moreDixon rd.jpgdixon road school junior playground.jpg the last one of the junior school play ground.all the best Michael

An old photo of Dixon Road School class XII. And an extract from British History online site.

DIXONROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Small Heath.(27) Dixon Rd. Bd. Sch. opened 1879 by Birm. Sch. Bd.(22) Accom. 977 B, G, I.(1) Fees 1d.–3d. (22) Enlarged 1894, 1911. Altered and reorganized 1931 for JM, I. Depts. united 1940.(21) Accom. 1961: 16 classrooms, 3 halls.(28

Viv

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 36
Hi I also went to Dixon rd from about 1951 1958 then moved on to Golden Hillock secondary modern boys (we had moved to the other side of the new bridge by then) we also lived in Bordesley park rd second or third entry up from Carrington rd facing mr pretty,s grocers shop
Rod Aston

Hi, I also attended Dixon Road between 1954 & 1960. We lived in Lawden Road at the time. I have very fond memories of those times

Saw this school building from the train at Bordesley Station while a freight train was passing on the Camp Hill line. It is now It is now Hazrat Khadijatul Kubra Girls School. On Cooksey Road / Dixon Road.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/87fd2187-db21-4822-b484-0c322fc6602f

Opened 1879, closed in the 1970s when they moved during a merger.

Dixon Road Board School was opened in 1879 by the Birmingham School Board to accommodate 977 children in separate boys, girls and infants departments. The school was reorganised in 1931 when the junior pupils were formed into a mixed school, accommodated in the old girls junior school buildings. The senior pupils were transferred to Jenkins Street Senior School (boys) and Oakley Road Senior School (girls). The junior mixed and infants departments are said to have been amalgamated in 1940, but separate log books were maintained until 1942. In 1973, Dixon Road Primary school and Goodwin Primary School merged to form a new school. this school moved to new premises in 1975 and became known as Regents Park Primary School

Hi All, It has been so fascinating reading the blog. I am part of the new management team who manage what was the Dixon Road Board School. I am really interested in locating some original pictures, if possible inside and outside of the school. The building has been gone back to it's roots of being a building providing education for local residence. The school is an community funded secondary school for girls with 127 on roll. The building has been significantly refurbished.

Attachments

• Main Hall (2).png
    Main Hall (2).png
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • science lab.png
    science lab.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • toilets.png
    toilets.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 1st floor hallway.png
    1st floor hallway.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
A few pics that were taken prior to the refurb in 2008.

Attachments

• Existing toilet area.JPG
    Existing toilet area.JPG
    955.5 KB · Views: 12
  • classroom.JPG
    classroom.JPG
    949.3 KB · Views: 13
  • existing toilet area1.JPG
    existing toilet area1.JPG
    965.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Main entrance.JPG
    Main entrance.JPG
    948.4 KB · Views: 14
  • main hall1.JPG
    main hall1.JPG
    957.1 KB · Views: 13
Hi, I also attended Dixon Road between 1954 & 1960. We lived in Lawden Road at the time. I have very fond memories of those times
Hi Brummie,

Was at Dixon Road Junior 1957-63 and lived in Victoria Avenue (footpath only between Lawden Rd and Bolton Rd). Graham Humphries lived next door and Eric Jones on the other side. We all got through the 11+ and went to Bordesley Green Technical School for Boys. Moved out of Brum in 1967 when they cleared the 'slums'. Happy days.

Recognise any of the names?

Dave Harris

Re: Dixon Road School

Hi, I attended Dixon Road Infants and Junior school along with my brothers and sister in the late 1950's until mid 1960,s, lots of happy memories of the school. we lived in Cooksey road just on the corner by Dixon Road.
Regards Joyce
Hi Joyce,

Was at Dixon Road Junior 1957-63 and lived in Victoria Avenue (footpath only between Lawden Rd and Bolton Rd). Graham Humphries lived next door and Eric Jones on the other side. We all got through the 11+ and went to Bordesley Green Technical School for Boys. Moved out of Brum in 1967 when they cleared the 'slums'. Happy days.

Recognise any of the names?

Dave Harris

I went to Dixon Rd, it was my first school. I left in 67 to be a ten pound pom at the age of 10.
I have some great memories, my best friends, Jimmy Smithers John Milnes and a lovely lass named Leslie Gould.
Jimmy and I were a bit disruptive it seems, I remember a certain slipper reminding my bottom to behave lol.

Back