• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

District Infant Poor Asylum, Birmingham

Cornishbrummie:

The Workhouse for which some records do survive is the one that opened in 1852 in a new building. The Asylum for the Infant Poor was demolished in 1852 and no records survive at all.

Maurice

Highly unlikely. As my post #11 explains, my great grandfather simply didn't know who his parents were. I would dearly love to know as on the 1861 census he is shown as being 'partially deaf" at the age of 26. This deafness has been passed down the generations - my grandmother was profoundly deaf for most of her life (and she lived to be 85 years old), my mother (who lived to be 92) was very deaf, so am I, and two of my sons are now beginning to develop deafness in middle age - obviously an inherited genetic problem. So it would be nice to get further back to see where this problem is coming from. Like many Brummies, at least one of one of his parents most likely had rural origins. Alas, I shall never know.

Maurice

Back