• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

District Fire Office

Puffin

proper brummie kid
I understand that this office was at 61 New Street at some point and the secretary was called Henry Lowe. I have some memorabilia that I THINK belonged to Henry Lowe but I can't find out anything about him. I have drawn a complete blank on Ancestry. I would like to leave these items to the museum but would also like to find out more about Henry. I suspect he was awarded for his long service.

Some photos in this thread:
and posts 34/35 here:
also

I have eventually found Henry Lowe on Ancestry - 30 years since I started looking for him. I have found his parents, siblings and his son and daughter-in-law. It has taken a long while to prove that the diary found in my Mum's loft belonged to Henry as there was no name written. Eventually I managed to find a newspaper article which named him in a court case mentioned in his diary involving the District and Norwich Fire Service.
However I still have no idea why his diary and other items were in my Mum's loft! So far I can find no connection to my family except they all lived in the Handsworth or Aston area etc!! Beginning to think I'll never solve the riddle!!
Just done a BT enquiries search and there are 13 Lowe names in Birmingham!

Hello Puffin just found your article about Henry Lowe and the District fire office, if you are still looking to place the items in the care of a museum the West Midlands Fire Museum at Aston Fire Station would like to put them on display for our visitors to see. The Fire Offices in Birmingham being the beginning of the modern Fire Brigade in Birmingham, you would be welcome to visit our museum to see what we have relating to the Insurance Offices.

Back