• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dishley baptised twice

AMW

master brummie
Hi
How common would it be to be baptised twice. Once July 1872 second March 1873. The same child and parent names. Same Church. Same area (no specific address given) Same father's occupation. No death recorded for First child of that name.

I think there could have been an "emergency" baptism if the child was very ill and then a "normal" one later but there would have been no need for the second one.
Is the child on the 1881 census and if so what age is given? Perhaps, if they are on the 1939 reg, there is a dob which might help. Possibly find birth certs and see if 2 exist.
I am happy to look but would need a name and parents' names.

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
Thanks Janice.

Phillis Eliza Dishley

Parents are James Dishley and Emma Tunnicliffe. 1881 Census living at

38 Higherland (Old Kings Arms), Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffordshire, England​

Very mysterious - at the moment I can't see a reason why it would happen. There is only one birth recorded for that name which is July quarter 1872.
I can't see the original records on Ancestry.

• Appreciate
As I said earlier the only reason I can think of is that the first was an emergency baptism - perhaps done privately and then when the child survived they wanted a public ceremony - although from a Church point of view there would have been no need.

• Appreciate
I have found the same in my family tree with some of my ancestors from the same family. However in the margin of the register for the first baptism is written the letter "P" which I understand refers to a private baptism.

William.

Interesting thread.

The Book of Common Prayer [Church of England] states that

"the Minister of every parish shall warn the people that without great cause and necessity they procure not their children to be baptized at home in their houses. But when need shall compel them so to do, then Baptism shall be administered on this fashion"'

It goes on to say

"And let them not doubt, but that the Child so baptized is lawfully and sufficiently baptized, and ought not to be baptized again. Yet nevertheless, if the Child which is after this sort baptized do afterward live, it is expedient that it be brought into the Church, to the intent that, if the Minister of the same Parish did himself baptize that Child, the Congregation may be certified of the true form of Baptism, by him privately before used. It then goes on to say how to publicly certify the original baptism.

Hopefully this explains the confusion over second baptisms.

My Dad was baptised three times which sounds a bit bizarre. This was in Ireland. First time was at the hospital as there were fears he wouldn't survive. Second was in their local church and then later they changed their religion and he was baptised a third time in the new church!

Simon

Back