• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
I used to love the cooked pigs feet, and chicklins, mom bought us from a shop in new town row.Mmmmm:p

Last edited:
Loved all that from the pork butches pigs trotters were still hot,all those things were a treat shell fish when mom went to the market winkles as well.

My mom used to make the best faggotts ever.........well her dad was a butcher.:)

Now my mouth is watering with mentions of all of the above. My father`s family was from Wolverhampton and so he had a liking for many different types of food. Mom would bring home faggotts from the shop near Aston Hippodrome as well as pigs trotters and chitlins. We kids grew to like all this type of food.
Lamb and Caper Sauce was another dish my father liked. I remember
refusing to eat Cows Cheeks one day...there was a limit I suppose.

My Moms father was a butcher , she loved Trotters,tripe,pork belly draft,faggots.
I hated even the sight of them and became a veggie.

My uncle Jack was a butcher and worked in Birmingham slaughter house for years.......which my mother would never allow to be discussed! He sometimes brought home turkey wings which he called chiken's lips:D:D

Had Fagots Saturday also have them once a week. Pigs Trotters don't seem to have much meat on them now.:)

Had Jellied Eels last week

We were in Brum for our Christmas family get together, down to two of us now. We went to The Holte as my cuz hadn't seen it refurbed. Three of us had faggots, I'm the veggie. They had lined up hotplates under covers along the dinning room, lots of choice lots of vegetables and piping hot. Mr Lerner is keeping the end up Alfie.;)

Perhaps then Rupert, that is why I love them. I'm no footie fan but Aston is my spiritual home. Faggots are food of the gods, and I should imagine very good for you..... as are all the other foods mentioned.

Chitlins

Now my mouth is watering with mentions of all of the above. My father`s family was from Wolverhampton and so he had a liking for many different types of food. Mom would bring home faggotts from the shop near Aston Hippodrome as well as pigs trotters and chitlins. We kids grew to like all this type of food.
Lamb and Caper Sauce was another dish my father liked. I remember
refusing to eat Cows Cheeks one day...there was a limit I suppose.

Oh no!!... not chitlins.... my grandmother did her own... I called them plaited tubes ... I didn't know what they were... but I only tried them once!! Is lamb and caper sauce a brummie dish then?... my mom used to make this.. another yuk for me... I had a pile of bread and butter with the neck of lamb stew.. I hated the capers.

Georgie

Ahhh. yes. Neck Of Lamb stew. We had that a lot and it was delish. Don't see neck of lamb here. The stew was a meal on it's own with potatoes and carrots in it and stuff I can't remember. I am sure that Beryl could give us some guidence here. I think neck of lamb was cheap to buy.
There was always a queue outside the fish and chip shops on friday nights for faggots and peas. Does that still occur? I wonder if the Villas new yankee owners have been introduced to faggots and peas yet.

Peter and JennyAnn, I think the shop you refer to in Newtown Row was Averills, they sold all the things you mention. My ex-husband loved hocks and I used to get one every week for him from Averills but cook it myself, on Saturday afternoons he would sit with it on a plate with some bread and butter and eat the lot. I could never touch it, or any offal.

Yes Sylvia, thanks....... it was Averils. Mom used to work at The Sun Cycle in Aston Brook and did a lot of her after work shopping along Newtown Row. I remember the hocks as well. My father liked those very much. Mom used to cook hers and serve them with parsley sauce:) We had so much variety
from these different shopping areas such Stockland Green, Erdington High Street, Lozells and Newtown Row and areas. Not forgetting the Markets
on the weekends.

Don't eat so healthily now......all the pre packed stuff.....
Still have faggotts a lot .....but my worst nightmare from long ago......TRIPE & ONIONS.......:Aah:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back