• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
na but i like weetabix with tinned peaches.View attachment 145390
I like Weetabix with Mango and orange juice on. Chapathis with honey. Brown sauce butties. Warm soda bread with bananas and honey. Apple and bread and butter. Partner cooks lettuce with fresh peas and baby carrotts. Toffee sauce with whiskey. Bananas in Limoncello anything in limoncello or elderflwer liqueure.

Can someone answer a simply question.As kids after the War we all ate Dripping sarnies,Sugar Sandwiches and such.Today we are told these are no good for you.
I ate one tonight but it repeats these days. An hour later. A butty with pork dripping jelly from Sunday. Old Welsh neighbour used to cook her beef on the wire oven shelf and let the fat drip in to her Yorkshire. My mate used to cook different meats and fish on the same barbecue. He never cleaned it saying the heat burns it off. blurgh! He never knew the difference between meats, he said he liked roast. Roast what I asked. Just roast, he replied like there was just one thing. I discovered his mom used the same dripping from her meat week in week out but on different meat........

When I make Yorkshire pudding I usually make mini ones and try to have one left so I can have it with sugar on. Lovely.
I have also cooked a rabbit with carrots and onions in my slow cooker - as you say meat falls off the bones. I do the same with oxtail in the winter.
we are not ignoring you.

As I child I didn't realise Ox tail meant ox tail. I thought it was Hock stale soup because Nan dropped her aitches. Till I saw it writ on the tin as she would say. Never had a proper one. I have had Ox tongue in France in Madeira sauce which is lovely, I had to get over it actually looking like a tongue though. Again as a child I thougt it was tung cuz we said tung. And Vealanam pie. Pork lucn n' meat!

Wife bought a bag of some , new name crisp firm.They were supposed to be Cheese and Onion. If they were that my names Umbongo Apendooli,
Sent an email to the Co in Glasgow with the barcode they said it was a rogue batch,and sent me a voucher £2 to buy some more.In the bin.

Cheese and onion crisps are my favourites especially the hand cut 'kettle' ones but I have discovered that they are not true vegetarian. Probably the rennet in the cheese. However, lots of the other flavours are including smokey bacon and chicken. Strange!

Cucumber, olives, tomatoes (except in tinned beans) strong cheese, boney fish, cheap coffee, (why can`t they make a decent cappuccino in Wales) apricots, cooked swede, parsnip.

Cucumber, olives, tomatoes (except in tinned beans) strong cheese, boney fish, cheap coffee, (why can`t they make a decent cappuccino in Wales) apricots, cooked swede, parsnip.
that is strange smudge i don't like them either. only the tom sauces in beans

All I want is a proper cup of coffee
Made in a proper copper coffee pot.
I may be off my dot,
But I want a proper coffee in a proper copper pot

When I make Yorkshire pudding I usually make mini ones and try to have one left so I can have it with sugar on. Lovely.
I have also cooked a rabbit with carrots and onions in my slow cooker - as you say meat falls off the bones. I do the same with oxtail in the winter.
Janice, absolutely love rabbit and oxtail (separately) stew............I used to have blackcurrant or blackberry jam on my cold Yorkshire pudding!

Wife bought a bag of some , new name crisp firm.They were supposed to be Cheese and Onion. If they were that my names Umbongo Apendooli,
Sent an email to the Co in Glasgow with the barcode they said it was a rogue batch,and sent me a voucher £2 to buy some more.In the bin.
Saw a programme on t.v. a few weeks ago featuring a couple of Herefordshire farmers who started making their own crisps using locally sourced ingredients. Although not the cheapest we decided to send for a boxed of mixed flavoured crisps. Have to admit they are certainly the best crisps we've eaten in many a long year. There's also a bonus inasmuch the packets and the packaging they came in are completely biodegradeable and will compost down within a few weeks so very eco-friendly.

Big Dumplings Pete. You are so predictable.:innocent:

Where was the Declaration of Independence signed? At the bottom of the page!
What is the main reason for divorce? Marriage!
In which battle was Richard 3rd killed? His last one!
Ok. will you please state why you think I am predictable

Last edited:
When I was hungry I'd ask my Mom for a "piece". In those days it would have been a slice of Mothers Pride bread, spread with whatever was available. If there was nothing in the pantry, which was often the case, it would be spread with a scraping of lard (not dripping). It didn't taste of much so she'd sprinkle it with salt and pepper!

I was curious about this snack as I'd also been fed raw bacon rind, raw sausage and the odd raw potato on occasion, which I know aren't healthy! So I googled lard.............

Rendered pig blubber is not a typical saturated animal fat. Lard is 60 per cent monounsaturated fat, which is associated with a decreased risk of heart disease. With an unusual chemical composition, pure lard contains no trans fats. And in terms of its fatty acids, it's better than butter:

Haven't had a lard sandwich since I don't know when but now I can afford butter I'll stick with Lurpak

Nothing went to waste either, Mom would save the waxed bread wrapper to wrap Dad's sandwiches. It would be re-used until we had finished the next loaf! It also came in handy to grease the slide in the local park - sit on the wrapper and go:D

When I was hungry I'd ask my Mom for a "piece". In those days it would have been a slice of Mothers Pride bread, spread with whatever was available. If there was nothing in the pantry, which was often the case, it would be spread with a scraping of lard (not dripping). It didn't taste of much so she'd sprinkle it with salt and pepper!

I was curious about this snack as I'd also been fed raw bacon rind, raw sausage and the odd raw potato on occasion, which I know aren't healthy! So I googled lard.............

Rendered pig blubber is not a typical saturated animal fat. Lard is 60 per cent monounsaturated fat, which is associated with a decreased risk of heart disease. With an unusual chemical composition, pure lard contains no trans fats. And in terms of its fatty acids, it's better than butter:

Haven't had a lard sandwich since I don't know when but now I can afford butter I'll stick with Lurpak

Nothing went to waste either, Mom would save the waxed bread wrapper to wrap Dad's sandwiches. It would be re-used until we had finished the next loaf! It also came in handy to grease the slide in the local park - sit on the wrapper and go:D
With reference to lard, this might explain how my father in law has made it 100, he's 101 on June 11th. He only cooks with lard. He also like 3 spoons of sugar in a cup of tea, his dinner looks like it has been snowed upon with salt he sprinkles on and he also likes his Bacardi and coke at night after his glass of (very) sweet Spanish wine. Well done Joe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back