• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get migraines too. Much less since I worked in an office on a screen. Dark chocolate gave me them too and too much ground coffee. I will try. Lack of air and too many scented candles get me and jasmine joss sticks. I was given a soup hamper for Christmas and I could only eat two of them as they contained wheat flower and rice and pearl barley. (Nan called that Pearl Bailey!) I didn't risk the barley. I sieved all of them out and hoped for the best.
My partner and family love curry, so do I but I get migraines with that, like a severe hangover. I have not deduced what it is. I can eat dry tikka and marsalas and cumin, but I suffered for years.
I met my birth sister this year, one of them, she can't eat any wheat and they are all migraine sufferers so it must be hereditary. But they don't have my other food allergies. Strangely, and luckily for me I can eat brown soda bread and porridge. I am not a celiac. The dietician was pretty poor and actually getting to see one.(4 Years). Thank you Maurice.

Penny winks (periwinkle), from the Kings Hall Market. Came in a little triangular bag and a pin. Took an hours or so to eat them, quite an acquired skill to get the whole thing out of the shell. You sort of unscrew it out
I posted this before somewhere, but Gran loved shellfish, someone used to bring her winkles wrapped in newspaper, an actual newspaper, she used to take a long U shaped riveldy hairpin straight from her hair and eat them, wipe the pin on her mouth then stick it back in her hair. Then read the newspaper and moan if it was an old one. Nan used to shudder when I told her. I said granny you will get germs, she replied as she did to everything, oh it don't matter.
I never thought of a winkle since or any shellfish but what I think of Gran. I ate one, in France to please my partner's mother, she laughed and said I was to take the little round disc off the end, part of the winkle. And a whelk, a sea almond too. Just one to please her. An oyster, bluurgh. I refused the razor shell. She used to order big plates of shellfish, cooked and kept warm on a wire frame a bit like a lampshade. The smell of it all and hot prawns, make me retch, crab, sea spiders she said, a half tortu de mer, weren't turtles at all but crabs again thankfully. I do like Coquille St Jacques though and mussells. Even frogs legs but not snails. But I tried at least.

Worst thing I ever tasted was andouilette in France. Cow's intestine. It smells like and taste like poo, We were in a hotel with a set meal. I took one mouthful and ran for it. I was sick in the loo and I ordered a brandy to wash it away. I shudder at the thought. It stayed up my nose and in my brain for a week. It's still there 30 years on.My partner's cousins often order marrow bones and they give them a little thing like a cake fork to scoop it out. It reminds me of dog chews we used to get here, for the dog! I did try calves' brains, they were OK but I didn't like the thought of eating them.

Ughhh it sounds disgusting I dont know how anyone can eat intestines ...

That's worse than pet food, Baz - I would have starved to death given that! I did my National Service in RAF (1955-7) and our cookhouse food left something to be desired, so most of my money was spent eating egg & chips in the NAAFI. At least you could see it being cooked in front of you!

Maurice :cool:
My friend stayed at a Premier Inn and another friend used to be a chef at one, he used the term chef loosely as everything he says is microwaved and he as a trained chef had to go on a microwave course. Anyway. our friends were refused scrambled egg as they hadn't come in yet. On enquiring, it seems the scrambled egg comes in a sealed bag and is dried or frozen. When she finally tasted it, it was vile.
I wonder if that is what they served in the war years.

Always liked Brawn & Aslet on a Sat night.Now it's Mussels in a drop of vinegar.

I have never tried brawn Edifi but I loved haslet when I was a kid, even went out of my way to try to get some when we came over in 2001 haha

Working in Kanazawa Japan in the 1980s we went to a mid-day meal in the company dining room. The starter was some soft quite large white spherical things floating in a clear liquid. Using my chopsticks I chased a white blob until I caught it and put it in my mouth where it slid down my throat. I immediately wanted to retch and had to take a large gulp of whisky to hold it down. I asked what they were and our japanese hosts said the meal was Shirako and the white spheres were reproductive organs of a male cod fish. They really enjoyed them but I just watched.
I had it explained to me in France re some fish roe, and the male reproductive bits, la rogue et la lette, I am guessing at the spelling and which is which but they tasted good.

can you still buy fish roe?
My Brummie cousin from Yardley Wood has moved to Devon. She said Fish and chips for 2 cost them £17. I get a small box of chips and a tinned roe for £1.30. I love roe. My partner serves it cold too in oil and vinegar salt and pepper, I am hungry now.

hi. to day i bought some cross buns from asda. they was like a lump of un cooked dough, do you have to put them in the oven?
are they partly cooked, or just horrible?
I was tempted to try a gluten free one but they are like bean bags. You could kill someone with one.

My Father used to bring home a pigs head.

He would boil for it hours and hours, then press the meat for his sandwiches for work.

You could get the head at the butchers for nothing, they said nobody ever wanted them.

I believe it was known as chawl...
Tried pressed pigs snout in France, museau. Excellent. My sister says they sell little cakes called nun's farts in Canada. I have never tried one of those!

I love brains on toast but the tiny bones that splinter tend to remain and you have to be very careful. You can still get pigs heads and remove the brain yourself but I have to do this when Pete is not around. He does think they are disgusting and I have to eat them when he is not around as with the pigs trotters.
Mate's Dublin aunty liked pig's legs, not trotters, Nan liked cow heel and mum, cow's udder.

My Brummie cousin from Yardley Wood has moved to Devon. She said Fish and chips for 2 cost them £17. I get a small box of chips and a tinned roe for £1.30. I love roe. My partner serves it cold too in oil and vinegar salt and pepper, I am hungry now.
That is daylight robbery for fish and chips :oops: I love fresh and tinned roe yum..enjoy.

My friend stayed at a Premier Inn and another friend used to be a chef at one, he used the term chef loosely as everything he says is microwaved and he as a trained chef had to go on a microwave course. Anyway. our friends were refused scrambled egg as they hadn't come in yet. On enquiring, it seems the scrambled egg comes in a sealed bag and is dried or frozen. When she finally tasted it, it was vile.
I wonder if that is what they served in the war years.
Nico, they served (we ate) powdered eggs during the war years as well as a few years afterward!

badpenny said:

My Father used to bring home a pigs head.

He would boil for it hours and hours, then press the meat for his sandwiches for work.

i once brought home sheeps head. hit it with a cleaver to cut it up.View attachment 141581never again
MW, when I worked in the butcher shop after school sheep's brains were a delicacy.....Many people would order them for the weekend and Friday for some reason. I remember being taught how to split the sheep's head with a clever so that the brain was split cleanly in half!

MW, when I worked in the butcher shop after school sheep's brains were a delicacy.....Many people would order them for the weekend and Friday for some reason. I remember being taught how to split the sheep's head with a clever so that the brain was split cleanly in half!
1581851732783.pnghave tryd pigs brains on toast.never sheeps,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back