• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can manage to eat any of that sort of stuff then you will never starve, because the next stage is chipping limpets off the rocks wherever there is some seawater ! :) OK for crab bait, but that's about all.

Some things are best left in the sea. Quite a few Brits here will eat squid or even octopus, very few will tackle cuttlefish cooked in their own ink. My answer to all these things is "Yuk!"

Maurice :cool:
Maurice there is a thread
Limpets

Last edited:
Lamb and bean stew.
.last week i had my dinner in the hospital
. restaurant. it was horrible. hate to think what the meat really was.

mmm I have never tried an oyster , same as the whelks they dont look very appetising, but saying that i ate penny winks when I was a kid and dont think I could eat those now :eek: haha
Many Saturday mornings during my apprenticeship I would work overtime for a few extras, at noon take the bus from Perry Barr to the city and go to Smithfield market and have a few dishes of mussels, welks and cockles. Then take the bus to Handsworth and get ready for Saturday night!

I had a dog behaviorist come to my house the other day to try & help with my dog barking. He wasn`t very good (£40 per hour) but he did suggest changing his diet from dried food to raw meat, I went to my local butchers & bought pigs kidney, liver, & a brisket joint. I started to cut it up into small pieces & when i had finished it just looked so awful & slimy (probably the kidney) & to top it all my dog wouldn`t eat it. So i bunged it all in the oven & cooked it for 30 mins. When i put in the dogs dish he looked at me as if to say "that`s so much better" In fact it looked so good i thought i could eat that. PS he`s still barking mad!

I had a dog behaviorist come to my house the other day to try & help with my dog barking. He wasn`t very good (£40 per hour) but he did suggest changing his diet from dried food to raw meat, I went to my local butchers & bought pigs kidney, liver, & a brisket joint. I started to cut it up into small pieces & when i had finished it just looked so awful & slimy (probably the kidney) & to top it all my dog wouldn`t eat it. So i bunged it all in the oven & cooked it for 30 mins. When i put in the dogs dish he looked at me as if to say "that`s so much better" In fact it looked so good i thought i could eat that. PS he`s still barking mad!
bless him. i would have eat it smudge.. i done that once i got a sheeps head for my dog. i looked at it.and .. it went in the skip.

I used to feed my Westies on pig's hearts, (cooked). All muscle meat, it did them good. Old Hamish lived to be 17.

Used to love on Sat night a cheese sandwich & some chunks of Spanish Onion.

Don't know we're they've gone butSpainish Onions today are rubbish.They don't keep and go soft inside within a few days.
i did notice that edifi. i loved them with corned beef on a sarnie. Now i buy red onions, they keep. as for cheese, "bung my dad called" it, gives me terrible nightmares.

Used to love on Sat night a cheese sandwich & some chunks of Spanish Onion.

Don't know we're they've gone butSpainish Onions today are rubbish.They don't keep and go soft inside within a few days.
There's bought disgusting about a cheese and onion sarnie
Ate one in the week wife came home from the store and I was putting the food away and saw the cheese and onion so I made a sandwich lovely

i did notice that edifi. i loved them with corned beef on a sarnie. Now i buy red onions, they keep. as for cheese, "bung my dad called" it, gives me terrible nightmares.
That's strange my pop will not eat cheese after 8 says it gives him headaches in the morning.

Last edited:
Camembert is highly aromatic. :laughing:
I had a brief couple of weeks in an RAF hospital where the food was poor to say the least. About half a dozen, or so, of us were sat at a table in the ward when our lunch was served. The 'meat' was quite red in appearance and one wag commented that "he knew it was a hospital, but that was no reason to serve up the afterbirths". From memory the wag, myself and one other did not leave the table the others went hungry. :rolleyes:

Bob,

Pop's got a dairy intolerance. Switch to feta (sheep and/or goat) and he shouldn't have a problem. Cow's milk used to give me horrendous migraines. When I stopped having it, so did the migraines stop. I haven't had milk for over 30 years, and don't even like the stuff now.

Maurice :cool:

My Dad called cheese "toyt". I've never heard anyone else use the word but I doubt he would've made it up.

Mouths starting to water Richard .Living were we do we go to France quite often on day trips (going over next week on the Car Shuttle for the day £25 ) .The vast amount of cheese is amazing,We will stock up with Vino as well £4-99 at Lidl here 1euro 50 at Lidl in Calais (£1-35)

Most disgusting food for me chitlins not sure if that is spelt correct. The smell was awful and I have a strong stomach
I had to get out of the house when Mum cooked them and the look of them well what word can you use to describe them
The other food that i found disgusting to look at was Grits loved by some in the South of the USA. The put them with cooked breakfast. its like putting porridge with bacon and eggs all on the same plate..
My husband tried them with a breakfast and he put sugar on them which put me off trying them all together.

Most disgusting food for me chitlins not sure if that is spelt correct. The smell was awful and I have a strong stomach
I had to get out of the house when Mum cooked them and the look of them well what word can you use to describe them
The other food that i found disgusting to look at was Grits loved by some in the South of the USA. The put them with cooked breakfast. its like putting porridge with bacon and eggs all on the same plate..
My husband tried them with a breakfast and he put sugar on them which put me off trying them all together.
Diane, I agree on the chittlins…….but grits made properly are pretty good! shrimp and grits or grits with cheese are pretty darn good! :cool:

yer why not:grinning: "its like putting porridge with bacon and eggs all on the same plate"..
1574605689492.png

Went to the local Tesco a few weeks ago. In the 'reduced' section. Pork Sausages with Black Pudding. Couldn't resist. :)

Got to the check-out and the 'operative' viewed such with disgust.:(

Obviously not someone with 'Midlander' tastes.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back