• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is lard is pork dripping that been cleaned by letting it set and skimming it off the jelly. It was then rinsed with boiling water and let to set again.

Rendered pig blubber is not a typical saturated animal fat. Lard is 60 per cent monounsaturated fat, which is associated with a decreased risk of heart disease. With an unusual chemical composition, pure lard contains no trans fats. And in terms of its fatty acids, it's better than butter:
The absence (or possibly , depending on feed of animal, low levels of) trans acids is a little irrelevant to the healthyness of the fat. Although this is not generally appreciated, the trans fatty acids which are harmful are those that are formed during hydrogenation in processing, not those present in animal fats. Hydrogenation is no longer used in the production of most edible fats for this reason. It is possible that lard has a nutritionally preferable profile to butter, but the taste disadvantages are enormous. However, it does have some technical performance advantages in baking.

My understanding is lard is pork dripping that been cleaned by letting it set and skimming it off the jelly. It was then rinsed with boiling water and let to set again.
pork dripping from the sunday roast.on bread monday for my lunch. The teacher would always tell me of about sneaking a bit in my gob.when no one was looking:D i still eat it only i have to get it from the chip pan,as the sunday dinners have long gone.
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...hUKEwjkl76f1-XpAhXXh1wKHaXLCK4Q420oBnoECAkQDw

Pork or beef dripping can be served cold, spread on bread and sprinkled with salt and pepper (bread and dripping). If the flavourful brown sediment and stock from the roast has settled to the bottom of the dripping and coloured it brown, then in parts of Yorkshire it is known colloquially as a "mucky fat" sandwich

I thought you would ask that.----------------only kidding (honestly!)

Look at it this way, predictability means consistency and that leads to being reliable which is a key trait to being successful in life. It's comforting to know with certainty that a predictable person will behave as intended. As a consequence communication between two individuals becomes more clear and reduces any hassles of them trying to always second guess you. Just look at *onald *rump he gushes out anything unpredictable that comes to his mind and as a result has caused many diplomatic relations to sour.:grinning::grinning:

I googled lard & it seems the only thing the experts could agree on was to disagree. Some said it`s not bad for you, some said it is bad for you ( British Heart Foundation). Very confusing. I have no use for lard, the only thing i fry these days is eggs fried in rapeseed oil. Bacon, sausages, black pudding, chips etc. get done in my airfryer. As a nipper, my mates mum used to make me beef dripping sandwiches because i was so skinny! PS. It rained today & it`s bloody cold.

I googled lard & it seems the only thing the experts could agree on was to disagree. Some said it`s not bad for you, some said it is bad for you ( British Heart Foundation). Very confusing. I have no use for lard, the only thing i fry these days is eggs fried in rapeseed oil. Bacon, sausages, black pudding, chips etc. get done in my airfryer. As a nipper, my mates mum used to make me beef dripping sandwiches because i was so skinny! PS. It rained today & it`s bloody cold.
To make decent pastry then Lard is a must. :yum

they said that about margarine, It rained here last night.but not a lot, my grass is all withered and nagerd now. so it looks like a big bag of seed is needed..the pidgins will love that.

Many oils used for cooking, apparently, are only suitable to be used once, they should not be re-used. Lard is good a far as I can see.
Like many 'band wagons' - foods, climate and so on 'experts' differ widely. Much is commercial hype.

Mizzle here today, warm 20C, but their air is far more breathable. The pollen count is nicely down. They did forecast some sunshine in between the showers, but as we have not had showers neither has there been any sun.
We do need rain.

Many oils used for cooking, apparently, are only suitable to be used once, they should not be re-used. Lard is good a far as I can see.
Like many 'band wagons' - foods, climate and so on 'experts' differ widely. Much is commercial hype.
Ta for reply Alan. that is why i dont eat chippy chips,some never change the oil. and all the viscosity has gone the chips taste yuk

I agree Alan, much is commercial hype, but when the British Heart Foundation say it`s bad for you it makes you think twice. Loadsa rain here.

Smudger,

I think the earth has turned on its head -rain and cold winds here in Crete, but supposed to be better by Saturday (for a day) :)

Maurice :cool:

we may have to change the title of this old (2008) thread as most of the recent posts are now talking about the food we like. or close the thread as its now run its course...so for now this thread is closed

from the team

Last edited:
we are now closing this thread folks as its been running now for 12 years and has run its course...many thanks to all members who contributed

the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back