• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Di's Art

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
St Pancras 0001.jpg St Pancras 0001.jpg In September each year buildings that are normally closed to the public are given an airing. Ten years ago we went to have a look at the then derilict St Pancras Hotel. It had been used as council offices and then left to decay. Now it is going to be the flagship hotel for Eurostar. Each time I pass it in Kings Cross I cross my fingers and hope some of its beauty inside is kept.

I did some sketches on the spot and took lots of photos's. This is how it fetched up.

Last edited:
Di, that's exactly how I see the St. Pancras Hotel in my mind's eye. Super rendition of such an amazing building. It is on the No 73 bus route from where my daughter was living in Highbury and a couple of years ago when I was staying with her I saw it several times when going into the city on the bus to meet her. The first time I saw it I was drawn to stare and stare at the place. I am so glad that it is being preserved as a hotel. A building like this deserves to be used.
Thanks for posting the picture.

I dont know the building or the areas so I cant comment on its likeness - however its another lovely watercolour Di, and i love those sandy red colours on buildings

Great picture Di, I never got on with watercolour until I found watercolour pencils while on holiday in Woolacombe Nroth Devon last year.
I find oils much more forgiveing !
The detail in this one is just fantastic mor please.
ASTON

:smitten: Di I adore your piccies, and would like it known I'm ur NUMBER 1 FAN O0

Di

He's only saying that cus he doesnt want you to be angry when you find out that he's printing the paintings out and flogging them to raise monies for the site

It's really nice to read your coments on my watercolours. They have never had such a public airing.

Thank you :smitten:

Di your paintings like Bobs and Cromwells, Forestville Wally and Aston, are all very important, they fill us with wonder and inspiration. Just like the excellent poetry and creative writing we have on this site.........  It's all comfort food for the soul.

And Rupert....  I am her number one fan!!! You can be 1a >:D O0 :2funny:

Number 1

Rod , your comment has a poetic praise of its own ,for which I thank you, I have longed for someone else other than family to give me the comments I have had from members of this site. :D
THANK YOU ALL
ASTON

This is Tower Street, Dudley. with the castle in the background. I painted it because mom's parents were both born in Dudley, and I have very happy memories of being taken to Dudley Zoo.

Di. You are one talented lady, you record Brum better than a camera.

Ditto with Cromwell

You could have your own viewing with these watercolours..................keep them coming..................as soon as I clic on unread posts and I see 'Di's Art' ...............I'm there like a shot and never dissapointed

Super pictures Di. I rode past Dudley Castle many times as a youngster with my mom on the Midland Red to visit my grand parents and aunt who lived in Wolverhampton. We did not get off once though to visit Dudley Castle. Probably would not have been possible to do both in one day.

Di, What can I say that's not already been said,
YOU are talented loved your artwork the Dudley one
take your eyestraight up the road to see the castle
I cannot be # :smitten: O0 ;) 1 fan but I will be your #1 art admirer

After a few weeks of searching I finally got two frames for the piccies Di once I get em up on the wall I'll post a photograph. It's brilliant having pictures I like of the city of Brum...... These latest pictures posted are superb!!!

I do watercolours for the family, but none of them live in Brum now, so glad to be hung on your wall Rod.
Not quite Brum, but near enough. :)

Thanks for your nice comments. :smitten:

I've only just caught up with your drawings Di. You have a wonderful talent, I've really enjoyed looking at them, especially the Dudley Castle one. More please.

I know that street in Dudley Di. Marvellous images and for me happy memories of visiting Dudley with my husband in more recent years, also my children prior to that going to the Zoo and lastly my early visits with the Sunday School outings. .

The Hall of Memory painting brings back so many memories of that green grass and covered seating at the far end. So different now but great to see your memory provoking art work.

You simply have to have a showing of these paintings. So many people are interested in looking at these kind of pictures because they capture so much and also most large cities have lost so many of their historical buildings over the years and these paintings depict so much of the lost areas.

Thanks for the memories...to coin a phrase.

Back