• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Digging for Victory: Gardening in World War Two

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't believe that most schools today have a garden where produce is grown or gardening is taught as a subject. However there may be some areas where they still do. There are a couple of colleges in Devon that do promote and teach horticulture, husbandry and forestry as a career.

April 1940...This clip mentions the widespread Witton Allotments. At this time no one would have thought that there would be a huge road driven through them to join an enormous interchange of motorways nearby. No one would have believed that the road would be a traffic jam for many hours a day.
Some allotments still exist,

9552C9DD-7CF0-450B-9691-349BD3D69B05.jpeg

484BFE81-96B0-4AC0-9CBC-03EAA3D23EB7.jpeg

April 1940...This clip mentions the widespread Witton Allotments. At this time no one would have thought that there would be a huge road driven through them to join an enormous interchange of motorways nearby. No one would have believed that the road would be a traffic jam for many hours a day.
Some allotments still exist,

View attachment 137491

View attachment 137492
more like mrs compo
wiiton allotments, i removed the old dangerous rusted air raid shelters from there,and other allotments when i worked for bham parks dept.

mort it never ceases to amaze me about the fortitude and sheer determination that folk had to carry on during the war..not only those men away from their families and fighting for this country but the women who had no husbands..sons etc to bring home the bacon..said it before and i will say it again...i can only take my hat off to them all

lyn

People kept pigs on Witton Allotments
From the Witton Allotments Thread, The grandad of Denise was Thomas Pugh who had a large allotment and kept pigs. My mucker slipped off the wall and into his pig sty!

Not sure how it was that many families coped with gardens and allotments at that time, as Lyn says. Many younger men were of course away and so I suppose that it fell to wives and children to do their bit. In Birmingham, there were many reserved occupations and so men of military age were still around, together with older citizens who were too old to serve. But most of these had far longer working hours than would be acceptable today and, on top of that, all sorts of Civil Defence work in their spare time, such as fire watching, ARP and Home Guard. Toiling in the garden to grow vegetables must have been an additional burden on top of all this.

I remember our own garden well. Much of it was devoted to things which could be eaten. Potatoes, other root vegetables and the hated cabbages (loved by Cabbage White butterflies and under relentless attack by their caterpillars, but loathed by me). The heavy work done by Dad, supported by regular spells of hoeing by Mum. I must have been roped in as well but can't remember much about it - so the experience can have been neither joyous nor too dreadful. A few chickens, too, for a while. (The pig came later, after the end of the war but when rationing was still just as bad).

Dad's weekends and some evenings were taken up by Home Guard duties. The gardening was fitted in, in between. On Monday 29th March 1943, he wrote to my brother in North Africa. "Gardening is in full swing with beautiful weather and I was on Digging for Victory the whole of the weekend, planting early spuds etc." The rare weekend off, by the sound of it. The reason is explained later: "We had a very full weekend exercise yesterday week. We took over defence of the 'drome (Walsall airport) and had a very wearying weekend – no sleep and on the go the whole time. It was a big stunt with about 10-20,000 Home Guards engaged....." So, a weekend off the following week and the garden benefited.

Still, better than being in Burma or North Africa or the middle of the Atlantic, I suppose.

Chris

Last edited:
By the time I have memories victory was about to occur. I lived with my grand parents who in 1945 would have been in their early 50's, grandad worked on the railways, dad was away in eighth army in Egypt, the garden was a typical "dig for victory" area, spuds, beans, peas, onions, herbs, rhubarb, apple tree, seemed quite large to me at that time, probably much less than a quarter of an acre, it was a council house garden, but larger than average as it was on a corner. Over the fence, along the top of the railway embankment, North Warwickshire line, were allotments, good for train spotting. Looking at #7 above, how fashions change, what 65year old would dress like that now? I seem to associate that style with my great grand ma who at the time I am thinking of would have been eighty.

Had an allotment when my kids were younger. We grew a lot of stuff. And what kid doesn’t like digging holes ? They had a great time. But it wasn’t cheap by any means. That was less important than the fun and interest we all got from it. Probably a different matter if you relied on it for much of your food, but I know we’d have had pleasure in doing it even under those conditions. And we’d have taken pride in what we could produce. Viv.

When I started school in Acock's Green towards the end of 1945 there were vegetable gardens that I think were looked after by the senior school boys. Of much greater note was the fact that there was an apiary. The bee hive was inside the school, the bees had an entrance via an adapted window frame.

Last edited:
Had an allotment when my kids were younger. We grew a lot of stuff. And what kid doesn’t like digging holes ? They had a great time. But it wasn’t cheap by any means. That was less important than the fun and interest we all got from it. Probably a different matter if you relied on it for much of your food, but I know we’d have had pleasure in doing it even under those conditions. And we’d have taken pride in what we could produce. Viv.
In 1980's my wife took great pleasure in serving a Sunday roast that had been totally produced in the garden, choice of pork, chevon( goat to me and you!)or chicken. Remember the self sufficiency era (Good Life on telly). Only had rabbit on weekdays! We had to call this game pie as children wouldn't eat rabbit!

Back