• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Digbeth

The Leathern Bottle, and possibly the Three Crowns (?) next door. No date for this one. Viv.

IMG_0225.JPG

Thanks Pedro. So if that's our man, he won't have drawn the image in post #75. Must say that one does look like a different style. Viv.

The Leathern bottle and the three Crowns were sold in Jan 18 together. In Oct 1866 , George Muddyman, a yearly tenant of the Three Crowns, left it, being replaced George Beasley.At the time of the sale the tenant of the Leathern bottle was Edward Smallwood. the trustees of Edward Smallwood (presumably he had just died), transferred the licence from him in March 1870. Edward got the licence for the Leathern bottle in oct 1863. so drawing was between oct 1863 and Oct 1866
Would draw your attention to https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...of-birmingham-c-1870.41158/page-2#post-563894 where there are several of these views and others from a sale in ebay

Attachments

• Aris Birm Gaz.13,1,1866.jpg
    Aris Birm Gaz.13,1,1866.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 19
There are a lot of these drawings ! If I've got this right, some seem to be based on earlier drawings. So the 1870s drawings are depicting an 1830s scene. Is that correct ? Viv.

I think it may have been a mixture, as the title is birmingham buildings old & new

The Pank thread reminded me just how enormous a part Digbeth and close neighbour Deritend has played in the history of Birmingham.
Many areas of the parts of the inner city had interesting history and features, but I suggest Digbeth, in particular, had more than anywhere else. It history line is a lot longer for a start and much has been discovered about its people and industries of its earlier days. However, in more recent times - say 19th and 20th. centuries - Digbeth had a tremendous variety of places that were of great interest to those who looked for them. Some prominent transport features were the unused railway viaduct, Midland Red bus garage and coach station, Liverpool Street and Barford Street (Deritend) BCT garages and of course the canals which industry used but in the process had managed to enclose from view.. Additionally the place saw not only buses, but trams and trolley buses. Birds custard, Typhoo Tea, the Police Station were also quite prominent as was the Bonser Warehouse.
Industries, which made up a large proportion of those 1000 trades the city was famed for, were there and managed to fill up much of the streets which ran off from the left and right. A couple of days, at least, could easily be spent reconnoitring those fascinating streets. There were very many pubs, famous and infamous, but I was too young to get to know them. But, all in all, it was a most interesting place to sped some time.
I am sure others folk here know of other well known places that I missed out.

Last edited:
Digbeth from High Street Bordesley. The Custard Factory and The Old Crown with the ever changing skyline.

November 2018 view from the no 60 bus.

Selfridges and the Custard Factory, December 2018 near the demolished Renault site.

this pic seems familar to me but cant be certain if its been posted before...

looking up digbeth with rea st on the left...dated 1934

Lyn I wonder what
this pic seems familar to me but cant be certain if its been posted before...

looking up digbeth with rea st on the left...dated 1934

Lyn I wonder what bearing the SPQR has on the warehouse, Senatus Populusque Romanus (The Roman Senate and People )
I was wondering whether Julius Caesar and Mark Anthony had gone into home decorations

Can anyone remember a Cafe the second shop up toward Deritend from Smithfield Garage. this was probably the smallest cafe in brum they had little pews between tables for seats two men ran the cafe lovely blokes though, we would go in there for a tomato dip (a crust dipped in the tomato pan) for a penny,every day they would have a tray of cakes that lasted about 10 minutes if you were lucky i used to love the Lardy (dripping )cakes the size of a piece of bread i could sink my teeth into one right now. Dek

Dek Carr a penny dip brought back memories , going up Dudley Rd to St Patricks RC school back in the 50's just before you got to the brow of the hill on the right hand side a cafe used to do penny dips in the tomato juice, this cafe was next to Verrechia's ice cream parlour . My word another blast from the past

Anyone know when the June Dairy was demolished. The photo looks like a complete redevelopment of the area in the 1960's. But my recollection from the 1980's is of no June Dairy being there and just paved area over looking the outdoor markets looking towards St Martins church. June Dairy looks like a listed building in that photo, but why survive the redevelopment and then be demolished before the whole area was again redevelopment in 2002. Is my memory flawed?

The Leathern Bottle, and possibly the Three Crowns (?) next door. No date for this one. Viv.

Viv

As you thought the Old Leather Bottle and the Three Crowns were adjacent to each other as shown in this photo. As for dates I believe the Old Leather bottle didn't manage to make it into the 20th century, whilst the Three Crowns just about made it.

The Old Leather Bottle & Three Crown, High Street Deritend[1].JPG

I have attempted to condense Digbeth into one page at https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/digbeth/ - it only deals with Digbeth, not Deritend High Street. I am sure there will be something of interest to most folks.

hi kieron will have to get my notes out later as i have at least 2 digbeth pubs with a family connection..the old guy being one which i believe was famous for its freak shows the other one used to be on the site of digbeth police station but the name escapes me as this research was done years ago ..will get back asap

lyn

hi kieron will have to get my notes out later as i have at least 2 digbeth pubs with a family connection..the old guy being one which i believe was famous for its freak shows the other one used to be on the site of digbeth police station but the name escapes me as this research was done years ago ..will get back asap

lyn

The two pubs that made way for the Police Station were The Rose and the Beehive Tavern.

I have done a bit on the Old Guy - here are some names [not all] of the licensees : Christopher Fuller, John Bollings, Sargant Pearson, James Green, Joseph Cleton, Charles Froggatt, Henry Brookbanks, James Wort, Thomas Wells Gold, William Wright, Abraham Hardy, Henry Griffiths, Hannah Griffiths

my first thought from memory was the beehive...you would be looking for landlords last name downes...

back to the old guy on my grandads 1928 marr cert his address is down as no 57 digbeth which i think was the old guy..his wife to be kate alice downes is at no 50 digbeth which i believe was a family run chippy..have no idea why grandad was living at the old guy as his profession was a stamper but i guess it could have been for a few reasons....but what does interest me now is looking at your list of landlords for the old guy i noticed a charles froggatt...not a common name but as i am directly connected to the famous froggatts handcuffs...leg irons..dog collars etc who was making them down digbeth i am now wondering if charles froggatt is one of my lot:rolleyes: what year was he there kieron ?..think am am going to have to find the time to sort out my info on the downes and frogatts to see if there is a connection...could just be a coinsidence about henry frogatt but he could also have been an off shoot of the family that i did not need to delve into

lyn

Last edited:
my first thought from memory was the beehive...you would be looking for landlords last name downes...

back to the old guy on my grandads 1928 marr cert his address is down as no 57 digbeth which i think was the old guy..his wife to be kate alice downes is at no 50 digbeth which i believe was a family run chippy..have no idea why grandad was living at the old guy as his profession was a stamper but i guess it could have been for a few reasons....but what does interest me now is looking at your list of landlords for the old guy i noticed a charles froggatt...not a common name but as i am directly connected to the famous froggatts handcuffs...leg irons..dog collars etc who was making them down digbeth i am now wondering if charles froggatt is one of my lot:rolleyes: what year was he there kieron ?..think am am going to have to find the time to sort out my info on the downes and frogatts to see if there is a connection...could just be a coinsidence about henry frogatt but he could also have been an off shoot of the family that i did not need to delve into

lyn

Charles Froggatt was early-mid 1860s circa 1862 to 1866

thanks for that the frogatts were certainly in digbeth at that time ...i have rellie albert henry downes at 102 digbeth he was gone by 1904 to make way for the fire station...my notes say this was the clements vaults...thanks kieron i am going to have to spend some time on more research

lyn

Back