• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Digbeth

I worked next door to the cafe at Smithfield Garage.
I well remember the tomato dip...used to fetch loads of them in paper bags for the blokes in the garage. The two lads that ran it were well liked by all as I remember.

This is supposed to be a 1950s view of somewhere in Birmingham. I wondered if it was Digbeth, looking down from St. Martin's. Is the glimpse of wall to the right, that of the St Martin's churchyard? Behind the tram is an M&B pub - any ideas which that was? Viv.

image.jpeg

Hi viv ,
Yes that is the one time pub called the ship and it had a model of a ship
Stuck to the wall way above the building way back in time but I think later it changed its name by the seventys
And the burns brothers was there door men both ex boxers
Best wishes Alan, Astonian,,,,

Viv

The Pub Behind the tram where the car is turning into Park Street is the Royal George and the false timbered pub behind the tram & lorry is the Olde Red Lion.

Hi viv
Yes that's the name I could not think of last night the George but prior to that in the earlyer years it was name the ship at some point it also was used as a bed and breakfast lodging for the old
Gangs of Irish road workers whom came over many years ago and they would to down to the mermaid
To get shift work when they started to build the old NEC at coventry

Does Lyn (Astoness) or anyone else have the photo mentioned in post #1 please? Many thanks Viv.

Alan I hate to contradict you again, but the pub in question was never officially named The Ship, it might have been called that by the locals but it was never the correct name, before being called the Royal George number 143 Digbeth was the Pavilion Tavern and before that it was part of the London Museum Tavern & Concert Hall and at one time it was also The Canterbury Music Hall. Later part of the concert hall became the Bull Ring Cinema that opened in 1912 and closed in 1931 since then to my knowledge it has been an amusement arcade, a night club and a karate centre. I this photo the of Royal George can be seen adjacent to the cinema.City Bull Ring Cinema Park Street.jpg

Hi Phil
I have just checked my record the pub was built in 1795 And named the George
In 1964 next to the old thearter in park street and on the corner was the new George pub
Also referred to as the ship from old that being there was figure placed above the pub building high up
As a galleon ship that I do know that and regards the amusement arcade I recall that
Being about half way up the hill then it moved down further to the opersite side of the road
I do not want to mention names but I can refers it from knowing personally about it
And knowing the last couple of managers ,gaffers right up to 2015
I ran one of the pubs across the road from it which I ain't gonna name for various reasons
Last night I was struggling to recall the name as the George
And if you look back on area last threads which covered the history it will tell you
And Janice Was correct ,viv never mentionioned how far back it was
All viv said is this digbeth I have strutted up down that hill of digbeth from 1946
To my old age now I can recall the motor taxation offices being just along from it before it was in Oozells street
Off broad street and recalled Mr banana. King when on meriden street
Just before the now traffic lights when in the fortys and fifty no traffic lights
Just the junction and I can recall all but most of the old bull ring as a nipper most back streets
Included the a uxement arcade you recall was only there for about six months as I recall
It moved down to the old car sakes of smithfields when they moved out
Just before the old barrall organ was built
Best wishes as always Alan,, Astonian,',

Alan

The Old Royal George attached to the concert hall (known as the Mucker) closed it's doors on January 3rd 1962.As you say the new Royal George built on the site opened on the 8th of July 1964. Also as you say the motor vehicle taxation department was up the road in St Martins House on the corner of Moor Street after moving from Oozlles Street and before moving to Edward Street in Ladywood for a while.

Hi Phil
I have got two black and white pictures of the RG 143 Digbeth it was taken on the 26 July1951
And the she one one was taken of the RG 25 sept 1964
Manager I .H. Beaumont . 2 RW Burrows. An. M@B House
During the war years the A.R.P. Air raids precautions one control centre was in fact was
The old Fyffes Banana offices,,and as no doubt some members might remember
Not much traffic of Bananas into this country during the war
The centre was a combination of three services, A.R.P, police and Fire,
During the war period the publican was Bob and Gladys Burrows and they kept a Parrott
Named Maurvita
Best wishes Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,,,

I was going to add this photo here,
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?posts/468914/
but as Mike says Well Street was not the location of the tripe house in the photo. I think along with Mike, that it was located at 24 Digbeth just down from St Martins Church and a few doors up from Upper Mill Street. If you look at the map I have marked number 24 and if you look at this photo you can see upper Mill Street on the left of the image. This location woukd have been somewhat opposite Viv's photos that is posted above.

Attachments

• Digbeth Origfinal Tripe House 1890.jpg
    Digbeth Origfinal Tripe House 1890.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 59
  • digbeth.JPG
    digbeth.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 58
At the beginning of thread the Minerva Café that was adjacent to Smithfield Garage gets a couple of mentions. The photo attached here shows Smithfield Garage and part of the café. My only recollections of the café are whilst working on Morgan's Sausage Manufactory next to Digbeth Police station when we were converting it to the Manzil Restaurant. Every working day for about three months I would walk down to café with the breakfast order for the lads working on the site. To be honest my recollections of the place were that of any greasy spoon café of the period, although I have to say that I thought the sos & tom sandwiches were outstanding

Attachments

• Digbeth High Street 1957.jpg
    Digbeth High Street 1957.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 66
thanks ell...bit off the subject here but i sincerely hope that the powers that be have a bit of money left over to tidy up the digbeth/high st area...i was up that way the other week and as i stood outside the coach station on the high st side i looked left and then right and i thought to myself if i was a tourist taking in the same views i would turn round and go straight back home again...there are some fantastic old buildings on the one side but alas the state of them and the area in general leaves a lot to be desired..once again the inner city gets money after money spent on it but the outlining areas like digbeth (one of the if not the oldest parts of brum gets cast aside)..i will always remain a proud brummie but i have to say i am ashamed of what it has become...very sad:(

lyn

Deritend.jpg
A short distance away from Digbeth but I hope this is o/k on this thread.

digbeth tram a.jpg

Digbeth Tram.jpg
The above two pics are an artists impression of the new trams in Digbeth.

Back