• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Digbeth Town Hall

Hello Beegee,

Tim Rose now you're talking another song of his "Morning Dew". Also his first album is very good. Does a version of "Hey Joe".

Regards

David

He got into a bit of a copyright wrangle with "Hey Joe", which I think was first recorded in the very early 1950's. Tim Rose claimed it was a traditional ballad, which it probably is. Loads of bands and solo artistes recorded it before Hendrix, whose version IMHO isn't bad, but not as good (or as angry) as Tim Rose's.

Big Gee

I just had a bit of a trawl through the internet, and found out that a number entitled "Hey Joe" was first recorded in 1952 by a character called Carl Smith who I never heard of before, but it seems that his song isn't quite the same as the one we're discussing here. Apparently the earliest recording of the song we know was in 1965 by an American band called The Leaves, again never heard of by me. But apparently, the song was written and registered for copyright in 1962 by someone called Billy Roberts, whose name is vaguely familiar. If I can find decent tabs for this number I might give it a go at some open-mic night sometime.

G

Hello Big Gee, interesting, I think we had better stop this or we will be told off for going off topic. Lol

Thanks for the info

Regards
David

Back in the 1970s I worked with an old boy who told me that as a young man before the war he had attended a British Union of Fascists meeting at Digbeth Civic Hall. He was young an impressionable and that vitriol and hatred he witnessed that night at that meeting had stayed with him all his life.
Anti-fascist protestors had infiltrated the meeting and it soon turned into something of a riot.
Does anyone know anything about this incident? I've searched online to try and find out more about it, but so far I've drawn a blank.

My father told me of the Bull Ring area pre-war fights against the fascists. (Oswald Mosley). Him and some of his brothers witnessed it. Maybe there are some Police reports or newspaper reports. After all, there was a 'nick' in Digbeth.

This photo is of Oswald Mosley and his follows after the riot at Digbeth City Hall in the 1930's. He looks quite pleased with himself.

oswald moseley aftermath of riot birmingham 1930.jpg

In the 1970's as a young Salvationist I remember attending a youth-rally here. It was near the coach station. I now work in Digbeth but can't place where this should be.

I used to go there in the 1960's, to the Jug O'Punch folk club, organised by Ian and Lorna Campbell, and Harvey Andrews. As I recall, there was a bar, but they sold only cider on draught, plus bottled beers.

G

In the 1970's as a young Salvationist I remember attending a youth-rally here. It was near the coach station. I now work in Digbeth but can't place where this should be.
According to a post (#25) in the Barford Street thread there was a SA place in this street at No 234. Close enough to Digbeth I guess.

Sadly Ian has died but, as far as I know, Lorna still does live in Kings Heath. I remember Ian Dunkley (used to have guitar lessons off him) who was a member of the group. Does anyone remember seeing Paul Simon, apparently he played there when he was in England in the 1960's. I remember seeing Tom Rush who sang the Circle Game. The club moved to Carrs Lane and then out of town just before they closed. Ian used to live in Ireland.

Back