• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Digbeth Music Hall London Museum Music Hall

hi brumgum
my gggrandfather was barman at the old music hall in park street and i beleive a ggg uncle who was a old time music artist played there
josie
Very interesting Josie, sounds a bit of a rough old place according to it's history.

i dont know about the history but love to find out if you know where i could get it
i know my gggrandfather was a bit of a ladys man from what i have reseached
josie

i dont know about the history but love to find out if you know where i could get it
i know my gggrandfather was a bit of a ladys man from what i have reseached
josie
There's not much info out there but found this and what i posted earlier...

https://www.theatrestrust.org.uk/resources/theatres/show/854-coutts

https://cinematreasures.org/theaters/30349

and there was this thread on Coutts..

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1636&highlight=coutts

Does anyone know if anything is happening with this building? From earlier posts it appears to have a very interesting and colourful past. Hopefully it won't disappear. I took this photo in August of the building and it looked quite forlorn. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    892.3 KB · Views: 33
And a bit more about the theatre's colourful past including a gang murder for not giving a gang member free tickets to the theatre. According to this article it's been considered for demolition (although don't know the date of the Arthur Lloyd article so the position may have changed). Viv.

https://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/Birmingham/CouttsMusicHallBirmingham.htm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ies-brutal-brazen-pre-war-Birmingham-Mob.html

It's ironic that, according to this thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1636
the building was originally a Methodist chapel where John Wesley preached. (Can't as yet find anything to verify this). If this is correct, then the building must date back to mid-late 1700s. If so, surely it's well worth preserving. Viv.

Last edited:
The Arthur Lloyd site states it opened on 24 December 1863, but it was ready to open much earlier according to an earlier newspaper report..... It gained it's licences in late August.
Biber1.JPGBiber2.JPG

JJust been exploring the suggestion that the Wesleyans used a theatre in the vicinity of Moor Street for meetings in the 1760s. Cornish's directory mentions a theatre in Moor Street which Wesleyans used in 1764. I think Park St (the Hall's current address) was re-named at some point. Maybe this gave rise to confusion or is there any possibility that the Concert Hall is the Wesleyan meeting place? It certainly looks older to me than 1860s. The architectural lines look far too simple for the mid-1800s. It's suggested on the Arthur Lloyd site that the Concert Hall was built FOR George Biber in 1863, but that's incorrect according to Alb1ons post above, as he leased the building. Also if this isn't the Wesleyan meeting place, where was the theatre that Wesley preached at a 100 years before? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Viv
the source of this information is "An Historical & Descriptive sketch of Birmingham " by Beilby, Knott & Beilby pub. 1830, and is almost a direct quote. No further information is given there.

This in turn was a crib from Hutton , the most relevant sections in which being given below:

In about 1740, a theatre was erected in Moor-street, which rather gave aspring to the amusement; in the day time the comedian beat up for volunteersfor the night, delivered his bills of fare, and roared out an encomium on theexcellence of the entertainment, which had not always the desired effect.
In 1751, a company arrived, which anounced themselves, "His Majesty'sservants, from the theatres-royal in London; and hoped the public would excusethe ceremony of the drum, as beneath the dignity of a London company." Thenovelty had a surprising effect; the performers had merit; the house wascontinually crouded; the general conversation turned upon theatricalexhibition, and the town was converted into one vast theatre.
In 1752 it was found necessary to erect a larger theatre, that in KingStreet, and we multiplied into two London companies.
The pulpits took the alarm, and in turn, roared after their customers: Butthe pious teachers forgot it was only the fervour of a day, which would cool ofitself; that the fiercer the fire burns, the sooner it will burn out.
This declaration of war, fortunately happening at the latter end of summer,the campaign was over, and the company retreated into winter quarters, withouthostilities.
It was afterwards found, that two theatres were more than the town chose tosupport; therefore that in Moor-street was set for a methodist meeting, where,it was said, though it changed its audience, it kept its primeval use,continuing the theatre of farce.

AND

After the institution of this sect by George Whitfield, in 1738, they werefirst covered by the heavens, equally exposed to the rain and the rabble, andafterwards they occupied, for many years, a place in Steelhouse-lane, where thewags of the age observed, "they were eat out by the bugs."--Theytherefore procured a cast off theatre in Moor-street, where they continued toexhibit till 1782; when, quitting the stage, they erected a superb meeting-house,in Cherry-street, at the expence of 1200l. This was opened, July 7, byJohn Wesley, the chief priest, whose extensive knowledge, and unblemishedmanners, give us a tolerable picture of apostolic purity; who believes,as if he were to be saved by faith; and who labours, as if he were to besaved by works.

Last edited:
The Victoria History states Wesley opened the Moor st chapel (https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/warks/vol7/pp411-434)

The Birmingham chapel was then 'an old shabby building in an obscure dirty back street', (fn. 84) a former theatre off Moor Street, opened, with a sermon by Wesley, and a public riot, in March 1764. (fn. 85) In the next seven years the Birmingham Methodists were to build three new chapels: Cherry Street, replacing Moor Street, in 1782, Bradford Street in 1786, and Coleshill Street (later known as Belmont Row), in 1789.

Apparently there is a West Midlands branch of the Methodist History society. They might have more info:

West Midlands Methodist History SocietyArea: The Birmingham and Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury Methodist Districts
Mrs Diane M Webb
Tel 0121 749 2986
E-mail [email protected]

Last edited:
That's very helpful information Mike, and interesting. It looks pretty conclusive that Wesley''s old theatre was nearer Masshouse rather than Digbeth. So Wesley wouldn't have preached at the Concert Hall on Park Street. An understandable mistake as they're in quite close proximity. The theatre Wesley used was called Moor Street Theatre, located in a courtyard in the area bounded by Park St, Moor St, Freeman Rd and Clement Road. Here's Google Earth for ref. and here's a Wikipedia entry and map of the Moor St theatre. I've marked the map in red - it's indicated by 'Play House' on the map. Also attached below is the Arthur Lloyd site's description of Moor St Theatre.
A very interesting piece of history, both Wesleyan and theatrical! Viv.https://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/Birmingham/MoorStreetTheatreBirmingham.htm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I think the Polish Club was in the building on Soho Road that's now a Sikh Temple.
The new Polish club is in Bordesley Street.

Think the death knell has already sounded for the Music Hall on Park Street. https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/bu...s-birminghams-tallest-office-building-9890130
The Beorma development looks set to absorb the whole corner of that part of Park Street and Digbeth. The photo below from the link shows which part of Digbeth is affected. Maybe work has, in fact, already started (?). Doesn't show up on Streetview yet if it has. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
no surprises there then viv....just another of our historic buildings on its way out by the looks of it....

lyn

Yes Lyn, pity. Given the history of this corner of Digbeth/Park Street, I'm setting up up a new thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=45819

to capture information about the George/Royal George in front of the Music Hall before it and the Music Hall completely disappear from Digbeth. The Drake's map below of 1825 shows the George on the corner of Park St/Digbeth, just above the White Hart. Viv

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
had a wonder round the city centre and digbeth this morning with my camera....took quite a few photos which i will post on the appropriate threads but to kick start them off here are a couple of the old music hall....absolutely no chance of getting in there at the moment but one to watch...

Attachments

• CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 026.JPG
    CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 026.JPG
    763.4 KB · Views: 27
  • CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 027.JPG
    CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 027.JPG
    711.1 KB · Views: 29
Thanks Lyn. The Beorma Development describes this part of Digbeth as Phase 2 and 3. Apparently, Phase 1 has started further down Digbeth. Here's the plan. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 14
The announcement of the opening of the London museum music hall in the Birmingham Daily Gazette of 24.12.1863 is given below:

opening_of_london_museum_music_hall__B_Daily_Gazette__24_12_1863_pt_1.jpg

opening_of_london_museum_music_hall__B_Daily_Gazette__24_12_1863_pf_2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. Very nicely detailed description of the Music Hall. It had a glass roof for easy ventilation - obviously long gone. The access via a passageway adds lots if interesting detail too, quite ornate, unlike the sort of passageway we'd imagine. It all sounds like Mr Biber was moving his Music Hall into a respectable house of entertainment. Viv.

I see that the Demolition of the former "London Museum Tavern & Music Hall"
143 Digbeth Alex Mcgregor proptr 1888, will start soon It is a shame that a building of this age and of its history will be demolished as another one bites the dust

Horsencart, it's a sad day. When I began to research boxing in Birmingham in the 1800's it was one of the few Birmingham venues still existing. My life seems to consist of standing looking at a modern building or worse still a busy road which has replaced another piece of our history. I'd just like to breathe in a little atmosphere sometimes. Just when I think the Council has got the hang of preserving a bit of heritage they allow it to be knocked down. I wonder what's next?

hi pen i shall not say much about this as i am getting angrier by the day:mad: and if i say what i am thinking i shall end up having to ban myself

lyn

Yes, Lyn, the opportunities for me being banned are getting likelier by the day. There will be little left soon to back up our failing memories or even the few books and documents about the Birmingham theatre world. So sad - just a load of ill-designed concrete in its place that means nothing to anyone.

Maurice

Was on Park Street late last night, and a brick wall to the left of the building has been demolished (I think it went up 2000 - 2003 as part of the new Bullring development). To the right of Moor Street Car Park. A temporary fence has been put up.

Back