• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Digbeth Civic Hall

Walkscrow

knowlegable brummie
Wondering about memories of the Hall?
My godparents Jim and Nessie Graham ran Digbeth Civic Hall during the 60s and my dad worked there and at the Town Hall as a porter.
My godparents Uncle Jim and Aunty Nessie along with their daughter Ruth lived in a flat at the top of the building and I have fond memories of staying there.
Uncle Jim was from Glasgow and Aunty Nessie from Edinburgh and I could never understand a word Uncle Jim said. Sadly he died of cancer in the late 60s

I think it was about 1970 when I went to see Les Kellett and the Royal twins wrestling there. It was funny as a lady got up and started pretending to hit Les with an umbrella and roses were thrown for the Royal twins. It was obviously all for fun and all "put on" for show.
rosie.

I used to go to the Folk Club that was held in the room at the back of the hall. I think there is a thread about the Hall and the Folk club on this forum somewhere.
Yes, the folk club was called the Jug O Punch, I think it may have been run by the Ian Campbell Folk Group as they seemed to be on every week, with guest artists.
I'm not that keen on traditional folk music but I remember going there to see the Strawbs who were less so!

Yes, the Jug o' Punch. Run by Ian Campbell and his folk group. The club moved to Carrs Lane, and then to Kings Heath for a short time. Sorry to say I missed Paul Simon who appeared there in the early 1960's. I only remember Lorna singing her "contemporary" Joni Mitchel song, then Adrian Henri and Tom Rush. I think there is a thread somewhere on the Folk Club.

I think it was about 1970 when I went to see Les Kellett and the Royal twins wrestling there. It was funny as a lady got up and started pretending to hit Les with an umbrella and roses were thrown for the Royal twins. It was obviously all for fun and all "put on" for show.
rosie.
I went there a couple of times to see the wrestling, the Royal twins were on and a wrestler called Bobby Barnes (I think) he would put his opponent down and while the referee was counting he would strut around the ring doing his blond hair and winding the crowd up, all a set up but good entertainment

Yes, the Jug o' Punch. Run by Ian Campbell and his folk group. The club moved to Carrs Lane, and then to Kings Heath for a short time. Sorry to say I missed Paul Simon who appeared there in the early 1960's. I only remember Lorna singing her "contemporary" Joni Mitchel song, then Adrian Henri and Tom Rush. I think there is a thread somewhere on the Folk Club.
I and some mates went to a folk club in a pub in Erdington (High Street I think) to see Jasper Carrot, he was introduced by Ed Doolan of the BRMB fame and he recorded a live album there , the name of the escapes me

The Roebuck is shown as where Jasper's album "Rabbitts On And on And on..." was recorded, on RobT's earlier post #13.

Back