• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Digbeth and Moor Street - 1970-90s Pictures Wanted + info on Car Park

awpainter

proper brummie kid
Right then......

Leading on from a thread I posted in General site enquiries I am after some "modern" history photos and information regarding a very specific area of Brum :)

Basically there was a Multi story car park next/behind Moor Street that you entered via un underground tunnel from Digbeth (possibly High Street). I think the main entrance was on another side street though. The car park can be seen on the very left of the photograph here (taken from platform 1b at Moor Street):

MoorStreet.jpg

The car park also had a series of steep ramps (that were never is use from what I can remember), one of which led out directly onto Moor Street, seen being constructed her:

MoorStreetRamp.jpg

And here's another picture showing the location of the car park, in comparison to Moor Street (bigger circle) and also the exit of said ramp (smaller circle):

Birmingham_Moor_Street_2_railway_station1802980_d6c10622-Copy.jpg

I would like to know if anyone has any pictures of around this aread from the 70's onwards (pre new Bullring/Selfridges of course). Or can anyone remember what the name of this car park??

I know it's such a specific request but there are some very specific memories involved, mostly me as a child coming into town every Saturday with my Grandparents. We would always park there, walk down the ramp and then go down an under pass which would then lead us to the side of the markets (there were public w/c in the underpass)

I also think that there was a series of small cicular shaped shops underneath this car park (on the side - Digbeth High Street) one of which was quite a popular barbers shop.

If anyone can remember or help me out in anyway it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex.

We have photos of this area as a discussion on the Outrigger which was in front of this car park was the topic , the shops you mentioned were on the ground floor of the block of offices on your photo these have also been discussed and a photo was shown. Dek

Thank you Dek....

You have no idea how much finding this single photo means to me :)

https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/p35525935.html

I completely forgot about the Outrigger/Ship Ashore but then again I wasn't old enough to drink at the time, plus it was always "above me" coming out of that car park.

Now just find out what the car park was called. Many thanks again.

Alex.

This is taken from the car park of Moor Street Station https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/p35525922.html
This was taken from the Times furniture store https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/p35349444.html
I did shoot film from the car park of buses in the snow but as yet I have not yet put the footage onto YouTube
I have photo looking towards Park St but need to find it first

Right then......

Leading on from a thread I posted in General site enquiries I am after some "modern" history photos and information regarding a very specific area of Brum :)

Basically there was a Multi story car park next/behind Moor Street that you entered via un underground tunnel from Digbeth (possibly High Street). I think the main entrance was on another side street though. The car park can be seen on the very left of the photograph here (taken from platform 1b at Moor Street):

MoorStreet.jpg

The car park also had a series of steep ramps (that were never is use from what I can remember), one of which led out directly onto Moor Street, seen being constructed her:

MoorStreetRamp.jpg

And here's another picture showing the location of the car park, in comparison to Moor Street (bigger circle) and also the exit of said ramp (smaller circle):

I would like to know if anyone has any pictures of around this aread from the 70's onwards (pre new Bullring/Selfridges of course). Or can anyone remember what the name of this car park??

I know it's such a specific request but there are some very specific memories involved, mostly me as a child coming into town every Saturday with my Grandparents. We would always park there, walk down the ramp and then go down an under pass which would then lead us to the side of the markets (there were public w/c in the underpass)

I also think that there was a series of small cicular shaped shops underneath this car park (on the side - Digbeth High Street) one of which was quite a popular barbers shop.

If anyone can remember or help me out in anyway it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex.

Right then......

MoorStreet.jpg

MoorStreetRamp.jpg

Thanks,

Alex.
Hi, the office block was called St Martins House. The barbers you mentioned was called Colemans . Other units was Wimbushes and a video shop

Back