• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Did you meet your partner In Brum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Met my Wife at her Brothers home in Coleshill, I was working part time repairing his coaches (Colin Mann Classic Coaches) and my Wife was looking after his children whilst his Wife was in Hospital. Best result from any job I ever had.

Met my wife at the roller rink at Waldorf Rd.I was doing some show off trick,and landed on my head.when I came too,amongs the people gazing down at me was a gorgeous blonde...I thought blimey, I'm dead, and she's an angel.
Angelic, is not how I would describe her today,but she is still my first choice squeeze.

I meet my first husband over the phone when I worked at Telephone House and he was at RAF WYTHALL on the PBX.

My now husband I meet when I was a barmaid in The Cock at Wishaw, he offered me a lift home and, as the story went we live happy ever after.

I meet my first husband over the phone when I worked at Telephone House and he was at RAF WYTHALL on the PBX.

My now husband I meet when I was a barmaid in The Cock at Wishaw, he offered me a lift home and, as the story went we live happy ever after.

My Sister used to work at Telephone House in the early sixties and met her Husband to be at Hill Street exchange.

I met my wife at the Le Metro club in livery street in 1970 we married in 1972 at st margarets church ward end still together now 40 years later Doh!

After my usual drink at the "Valley" pub I made my way to the Hot Dog wagon parked next to the 18 bus terminus run by a Spanish man called Tino and there I met two girls, one was called Sue and we met the next day and have met every day since! We married at Holy Cross Church where my parents married in 1968. Three children later (no grandchildren) we are still together and living in Billesley....
Hi Bilsat
I used to work behind the bar at the valley I remember the hot dog van and the wednesday night disco in the assembly room. In them days as you know the pub shut at 10,30 and the last number 18 was at six minutes past 11 after calling time it was a mad panic to get everyone out so I could catch the last bus. its a long walk to kings norton

Hya all

Met my husband at the roller rink in walford rd. It was 1957 and I didnt like him, thought he was a big head. Of course I was only 15 yrs old and just left school, that didnt stop him though. What I didnt know at that time was that he had 2 injections every day for diabetes,(1954) I had never heard of it.
We were married in July 1959, (I was 17yrs old) and had 3 boys and he has recently passed away with the end results of 56 yrs of diabetes. He worked right up to 60 yrs of age. We would have been married 51 years in July.

I hope you all do not mind me now putting this on the forum. In January 2006 we were told he had about 12 to 18 months to live as he had renal failure and his other organs were so weak due to so many years of insulin. He has lived nearly 2 yrs longer than predicted.
During January also(2006) I didnt know my middle boy had a pain in his arm and had been to the doctors. He knew it wasnt just an ordinary pain
( visited the doctor 5 times).In February he was feeling really ill and I took him into selly oak, he was transferred to the QE and it took them until march to diagnose what was wrong. He passed away in the April just ill for about 8 weeks. It was called Cholangio carcinoma, cancer of the bile duct.
This is my lovely son on the motorbike, fit and healthy. Never drank, no smoking and ate healthy. Was helping his friend to build a wall climb on mosely rd. Did kick boxing and lots of different sports. Was a heavy goods driver and travelled the world had a great life.

I am devestated, having lost my son so suddenly ( didnt live with me but passed away at home with me) and now my hubbie. I know you will all understand so lets all have a great life and enjoy it whilst we have it.

Smith that is soo sad, I hope you are coping and have friends to help you , you know you have lots on here if ever you need a chat xx

Hi Stag707.
I used to smoke a pipe and usually sat in the bar with the other pipe smokers! There was a man called Jim who sat near to the door and always asked for a small amount of baccy to light his twist, he would then proceed to fill his pipe with your baccy and then slice one layer from the twist. I'm sure his 1/2 ounce lasted him for weeks..........The Valley had a limited choice, Twist, St Bruno, Philips No6 and Condor which I smoked.
I remember the disco's and the problems that it caused! A burger at Timo's was the regular order before going home via the Chipshop in Brigfield Rd.......

Met my Wife at her Brothers home in Coleshill, I was working part time repairing his coaches (Colin Mann Classic Coaches) and my Wife was looking after his children whilst his Wife was in Hospital. Best result from any job I ever had.
Unfortunately have to say that Colin passed away today. An extremely brave man who would always offer help when needed.

I met my wife Maureen whilst working at Henry's store in Union Street City Centre she was the window dresser and I was in the Fire Service working there part-time we married in 1961 at St Oswalds Church Small Heath the reception cost £10 we honeymooned in a caravan at Barmouth travelling there in a 1947 Rover 12 bought for £30. Lots of ups and downs during the last 54 years we lost our only son whilst serving in the Arm Forces and followed our daughter to Spain when we retired. She divorced and moved back to the UK and we are now located in Worcestershire in reasonable health for our age as long as we keep taking the tablets.

I met my late wife indirectly through music - her brother was in a 3-piece vocal group I used to do arrangements and play backing for, and we used to rehearse at their parents house. Initially I don't think we could actually bear the sight of each other - I don't blame her - and I was only there for the music. It was only on the day that the family moved to Dorset that we actually got it together and spent the next six months seeing each on alternate weekends. Finally in January 1961 her brother & I move south to join them and we got married the following year.

Maurice

I met my husband John when I was a youth leader at Ladywood Brookfield Boys Club. A friend who was also a leader and I were taking a group of the members on an orientiering weekend so he asked John to come along as he and Doug (the other leader) had experience doing it. That was 1967 and we were married in Dec. 1968. Yes you are right it is our 40th wedding anniversary on Dec. 7. Mo

As was suggested I have added John's photo the year we got married. It is at the top of Scarfell, climbing was his passion before he met me. LOL As my brother was in the mountain rescue team we spent many happy hours on the mountains, even our honeymoon. We stayed at the Black Beck if you know that area.

View attachment 22937
click to enlarge.
I used to be a member of youth club, I was very fond of the snooker table, could you put the photo back if possible please.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️

I met my wife who was a window dresser at Henry's Union Street whilst I was working part time from my job in the Fire Service. We will have been married 60 years in November.

Attachments

• moe aged 21.jpg
    moe aged 21.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 7
I used to be a member of youth club, I was very fond of the snooker table, could you put the photo back if possible please.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂
Nick, Sorry to disappoint you Sakura has not visited this site since 2013, so unlikely to post photo again, perhaps someone else has the photo that was posted re: Ladywood Brookfield Boys Club.
Mac Joseph has an excellent website about Ladywood http://www.oldladywood.co.uk/
Might be interesting to you. RobT

I met my Brummie wife as a student in Liverpool in 1966. First day of term sitting waiting for lecture to start when Irene walked in. Wham, love at first sight.
54 years and three children later, still feel the same and still in Brum after 52 years.

Aren't we an insular lot! I lived at 27, Hadland Rd. Garretts Green and married the girl from No.9. in 1968. My dad who lived at 10, Linton Rd. Tyseley married the girl from No.13 in 1939. His dad from 229,Percy Rd. Greet married the girl from No. 241 in 1914.

Last edited:
I first saw my late wife in 1965 as we almost bumped into each other walking round the building corner marked on the photo below. We were married three years later in 1968.
metPenny.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back