• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Did you meet your partner In Brum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacksmith

master brummie
I was wondering if other members met their partners in Brum and, if so, where?

My wife and I met in 1969 at The Rendezvous, which used to be at the back of The Odeon in New Street. It was a ballroom dancing class, but we were never very good. I'm not even sure if the place it used to be held even exists any more.

If so, what is it used as now?

With the advent of Strictly Come Dancing on TV, I have been tempted after all these years, to give ballroom dancing another go and my wife and I are going to Regis Hall in Old Hill for a 'Strictly Come Dancing Night' on 29th November.

I'm sure our minds will go back to that Friday night, October 3rd 1969. I wonder if we'll enjoy it as much, and whether I can even remember the steps.

Met my first when I went down to London to be in charge of the Southern Sales office. On the first or second day she told the junior "Oh, he's not my type" and a few days later she threw a penknife at the wall behind me!
Still, we managed to sort that out and I moved in to her flat in Fulham.
My current, and last(!) wife I met on a date at a pub near Banbury. She and my first get on well, or as well as you can.
Both my wives have been non-Brummies, but non the worse for that!

Good one Blackie

I met my first one on the front at Weymouth July 1956 while there with the Army on a special Shooting course for a week.

My now partner in 1979 Newport South Wales while working for Newport County AFC she was 14 at the time. ( Details on request)

Both my partners have been none Brummie as well

Last edited:
"I was wondering if other members met their partners in Brum and, if so, where?"

NO,

Opppppppppps.

Sorry, No Post Racing :)

I met my little angel at the Tower Ballroom. On my first night I saw a fight near the foyer. I knocked them both out and put them on the car park. It turned out that one of them was a bouncer but he was not wearing his dress suit. He was also courting the lovely lass who became my wife. That was in the late sixties.

Well i met my first wife at college,my second wife at the bus stop and my third and the love of my life at Snobs all in brum I'm settled down now

Mossy

i met my wife in ward end park,1967 she and her mate were sitting
on a bench at the side of the lake, me and my mate were in a boat,
and asked if they fancied a trip on the boat, they agreed and we have been
as you say together since,we married in 1971.
we have two boys both doing well - we have two grandchildren girl & boy 7 & 4 and we are expecting another gran daughter in mid January.
as it goes my mate married my wife's mate and also had two children
no grandchildren yet, and we are still friends after all these years 40+ we go caravaning a least one a year. happy days regards dereklcg

I met my little angel at the Tower Ballroom. On my first night I saw a fight near the foyer. I knocked them both out and put them on the car park. It turned out that one of them was a bouncer but he was not wearing his dress suit. He was also courting the lovely lass who became my wife. That was in the late sixties.

I also met my 1st wife at the Tower in the late 60s, i was standing in the foyer and this big geezer came over and knocked me out and threw me into the car park.

I met my wife when we both worked at Joseph Lucas G K S when we had been going out for about a month I found out she was my fathers secretary.

Hi. I met Pete at fairlanes bowling alley the biggest womaniser out. Went out for a while and he didn't change but I did. He took me home one night and said ["see you tomorrow "]. Think translated said NO. Can't say what I said but went to Prestatyn holiday camp to run the riding stables there. Will edit the middle bit but when I came back we got back together and married the following year. A certain friend of mine on this forum and her friend had a bet with Pete who said I wouldn't go. They all lost. Bye. Jean. Hope he don't see this.

alf not true she saw me in the fish market and fancied me like mad but she didnt meet for a while after that but i wont go into details as she might be watching ha?

Hi everyone , I met my Husband at the West End Theatre where we both worked . I worked in the advanced booking office and he was the handsome chef from the restaurant upstairs. South Pacific was the long running film at the time , and as we had free passes for all the town cinemas , no guessing where we did most of our courting.

Isobel

Sure did. Bought a record from her in 1963 when she worked in W H Smith's record department; it was in the basement of their shop in Corporation St just down a bit from Yates's Wine Lodge. Got myself a Saturday job working on their pop counter up the corner (anybody remember it?) and it's been all down hill since then (only joking)

Welcome lydford nice story it was down a bit from Yates so its the story of your life

I met my husband walking across the Bailey Bridge at Shard End, walking home from the fair with my friend. We have been married 47 years.

I met David in the metabolic unit at East Birmingham Hospital where I was a student nurse. He was up a ladder in the sisters office, painting a ceiling. I was seventeen he was nineteen and I thought he was 'ace'. We went out on March 4th 1964. I remember it as it was my moms birthday He took me to the Green Man I think it was.
We married in 1966 in Erdington Parish Church. 42 years ago. Dave says you get less for murder these days!!!!!
Lynda

I met my wife PAMELA at the BIRMINGHAM ICE RINK SUMMER HILL (SANDPITTS) 1958.
She had just fallen over & I leap froged over her then picked her up asked her out & she said NO!
So I asked her best pal JANET & she said YES!
The next time we met PAM & I asked the reply was YES!!!

THAT "YES" HAS NOW LASTED 50 YEARS.
We have had some great times at the ice rinks both BIRMINGHAM & SOLIHULL, made many pal's over the years with the BIRMINGHAM MOHAWK SPEED TEAM, BARONS & SOLIHULL VIKINGS ICE HOCKEY CLUBS.
Some of them have been renewed via this Forum "OLD MOHAWK" being one.
My thanks to you all for a fantastic site.
THE BARON (ASTON)

Well done lynda & David

Lynda what was you looking at as he was up a ladder

I met my first wife in the mackedon back room Then my second wife was a blind date in london an east end girl still married to her.
colin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back