• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Did you meet your partner In Brum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone , I met my Husband at the West End Theatre where we both worked . I worked in the advanced booking office and he was the handsome chef from the restaurant upstairs. South Pacific was the long running film at the time , and as we had free passes for all the town cinemas , no guessing where we did most of our courting.

Isobel

Sure did. Bought a record from her in 1963 when she worked in W H Smith's record department; it was in the basement of their shop in Corporation St just down a bit from Yates's Wine Lodge. Got myself a Saturday job working on their pop counter up the corner (anybody remember it?) and it's been all down hill since then (only joking)

Welcome lydford nice story it was down a bit from Yates so its the story of your life

I met my husband walking across the Bailey Bridge at Shard End, walking home from the fair with my friend. We have been married 47 years.

I met David in the metabolic unit at East Birmingham Hospital where I was a student nurse. He was up a ladder in the sisters office, painting a ceiling. I was seventeen he was nineteen and I thought he was 'ace'. We went out on March 4th 1964. I remember it as it was my moms birthday He took me to the Green Man I think it was.
We married in 1966 in Erdington Parish Church. 42 years ago. Dave says you get less for murder these days!!!!!
Lynda

I met my wife PAMELA at the BIRMINGHAM ICE RINK SUMMER HILL (SANDPITTS) 1958.
She had just fallen over & I leap froged over her then picked her up asked her out & she said NO!
So I asked her best pal JANET & she said YES!
The next time we met PAM & I asked the reply was YES!!!

THAT "YES" HAS NOW LASTED 50 YEARS.
We have had some great times at the ice rinks both BIRMINGHAM & SOLIHULL, made many pal's over the years with the BIRMINGHAM MOHAWK SPEED TEAM, BARONS & SOLIHULL VIKINGS ICE HOCKEY CLUBS.
Some of them have been renewed via this Forum "OLD MOHAWK" being one.
My thanks to you all for a fantastic site.
THE BARON (ASTON)

Well done lynda & David

Lynda what was you looking at as he was up a ladder

I met my first wife in the mackedon back room Then my second wife was a blind date in london an east end girl still married to her.
colin

I used to go todisco,s in the back room of the avenue but they would never let you out.
colin

I met my husband John when I was a youth leader at Ladywood Brookfield Boys Club. A friend who was also a leader and I were taking a group of the members on an orientiering weekend so he asked John to come along as he and Doug (the other leader) had experience doing it. That was 1967 and we were married in Dec. 1968. Yes you are right it is our 40th wedding anniversary on Dec. 7. Mo

As was suggested I have added John's photo the year we got married. It is at the top of Scarfell, climbing was his passion before he met me. LOL As my brother was in the mountain rescue team we spent many happy hours on the mountains, even our honeymoon. We stayed at the Black Beck if you know that area.

View attachment 22937
click to enlarge.

Last edited:
have we any photographs of them
early years, be nice don,t you all think?
we all have to go in the loft soon, for the
Christmas dec,s, that's where most are kept.
happy days regard,s dereklcg.

I met my husband at Bournville Disco in 75, when I was 15. One of those strobe lights was going and it made me a bit dizzy so he came to my rescue. He walked with me (and a couple of friends) to the Bristol Rd where we were to part ways. We walked over the foot bridge to my side and then he decided to do the macho run across Bristol Rd back to where he was to catch the 62 Bus to Frankley Beeches. As he vaulted across the middle fence he fell over the fence flat on his face! We always say he fell for me in a big way!! We now have two grown children and two wonderful grandchildren, 2 & 4. Living in Canada but forever Brummies

I met my 1st wife in Corporation st in 1951 i was on embarcation leave before going to Singapore she wrote to me every week for the 2 years i was there we got married in dec 1953 stayed together for 25 years and sadly split we are still friends now

I met my Jock from the north here in Canada - First saw him on the news reel 7,000 immigrant coming down the gang plank tall and skinny bringing Premier Drew of Ontario a bunch of heather. I knew he was my man - chased him till i found him at a British dance club. It was a ladies tag dance. - there were two of us who tagged him each time he came around. However it was me he took home from the dance, we were engaged 3 months later and married the following year.

In 1951 Iwas stationed in the Suez Canel Zone with the Coldstream Guards, my family used to send the Sunday
Mercury every week, one day on the front page was the
story of a man in Glebe Farm who ran a pen-pal club for
people all over the world so I wrote to him, his daughter
Enid saw my letter and we became penpals. When I got
back to England I went to meet her and WOW! I thought
she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seenand I
still had that opinion till April last year when after 54years of married life she had a stroke and passed away.I have said many times, to the whole world she wasoneperson,to one person she was the whole world

Hi Bernard: Thanks for posting your story of meeting your wife Enid and I offer sincere condolences for your loss. How lucky you were to have 54 years of happy marriage with your darling Enid. Looks like you were meant to be together. Blessings to you.

I didn't meet my life partner in Birmingham...well, in a way I did but sadly it
didn't work out and it was many many years before I trusted anyone enough to form an ongoing attachment. I met my lovely husband in Vancouver after I came back to Vancouver after six months in Spain and six months in Brum.
I desperately needed a job to pay for my new apartment and took a job with
a sign company who were locating on the "wrong side" of town. A new company in town. Very small only five employees one of which was a
Graphic Designer. It took a while before we got together as friends.
We were engaged for several months and married in September l974
in Vancouver. We have been married for 35 years this September.

Hi been reading all your posts with interest and a smile on my face. My dad met my mom on Handsworth Park boating lake in 1939. He was in one type of boat and apparently she was in a larger one. He first words to her were "thats a big boat for a little girl". they got chatting and he walked her home to Lozells. He was posted to Africa and Italy during the war years and I still have some of his letters to her. They were married in 1945 and were married for 46 years until he died. I hope my marriage is as happy and long as theirs was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back