• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry 2nd Battalion WW2

christy

master brummie
Hi Forum..did your father or Gfather serve in the the Duke of Cornwall Light infantry..my Gfather joined in 1928-1947..was in India 7,years..I Have a Photo,it Says the 5,Brumies,Fab Photo, would like to know more,of my gfathers time,in the Army,also have some photos,with no names on,Regimental Group photos,..Regards..Christy..:unconscious:

Re: Did you have Anyone who Served in Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry 2nd Battalion.

Hi Christy,
my great uncle, John William Fellows (Jack) of 10 Sheepcote Lane, Ladywood, was with the Duke of Cornwall light infantry after WW1.
During the first world war he was with the Somerset Light Infantry.
After the first war he remained until about 1936 as: 5104502 L/Cpl., 2nd Bn. D.C.L.I.

Kevin

Last edited:
Re: Did you have Anyone who Served in Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry 2nd Battalion.

hi Kevin,there seems to be tons of photos of the 1st Battalion,of this Regiment but not of the 2nd battalion,of Duke of Cornwall light infantry, why was this,??

My Great Uncle was in 1 Bn DCLI but he died in 1915. I suspect you're more interested in a later period Christy.

Hi Christy
My wifes uncle served in the 2nd Batt DCLI,he was certainly with them in 1933 as the Absent Voter list shows,his name is George Baxter,Private.5435802 and at the time he was living at 351 Witton Road Aston.His life has always been a mystery to the family so his army life may be the key to why he very rarely appears in her family tree which I have compiled over the years.
Regards Acklam19.

Did you know that the last "fighting Tommie", from WW1, "Harry Patch", was an old DCLI man.Paul

For my National Service I was posted to Germany to serve in a Brigade Headquarters. We were a very mixed bunch of the Corps (RASC,Signals,REME etc) Infantry (Sussex,London Fusiliers, Green Howards, Manchesters, Ox & Bucks L.I and various Lancers, Hussars and armoured corps. maximum number of different cap badges on one parade 28. It included a Gloucester Regt back and front and the hussar/lancer regt that did not wear a cap badge. The point of the reply is that the senior Warrant Officer was a DCLI man WO1 Joseph Rowley as broad a brummie as could be found. There were only two other lads from Birmingham and Joe would never tell us where he came from or any background. His next of kin address was not a Birmingham address. Another of life's mysteries.

Hi Christy
My wifes uncle served in the 2nd Batt DCLI,he was certainly with them in 1933 as the Absent Voter list shows,his name is George Baxter,Private.5435802 and at the time he was living at 351 Witton Road Aston.His life has always been a mystery to the family so his army life may be the key to why he very rarely appears in her family tree which I have compiled over the years.
Regards Acklam19.
Thank you so much for coming back to me. My name is Michael Born 1947 to George. I just wish I could find him and his mom on the 1911 Census. I think there must have been a mother and child unit somewhere attached to the workhouse as George would have been aged 2. He was a very private man and didn't talk to me about his past except he was brought up in an orphanage and joined the army Regards

Seems strange that he's not there as it seems his brother Samuel and sister Florence are in the Aston Union Workhouse Cottage Homes, Erdington in 1911.

Yes my father was in the Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry from 1931 to
1946. He served in Dunkirk, Italy and 7 years in India. He would have been two in the 1911 Census and I haven’t t been able to find him or his mother. Looking forward to the 1921 Census as he would be 12. Any help would be appreciated.

Tried searching just first names, and birthplace (for Ellen) but nothing. Of George's siblings, that were still alive, 3 are listed and 3 don't seem to be. Can't find a likely death for George's father.

Ellen is living at 351 Witton Road from at least the late 20s to the late 30s. George & Samuel both appear to list this address on absent voters ERs.

Hi mws. Nellie (Ellen) Baxter was born in Wolverhampton in about 1867 her father was George Platt 1821 and was a coal dealer living at 57 Salop Street her mother was Emma and can be found on the 1851,61,71 and 81 census.
Regards Acklam19

Back