• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Online Gutenberg Library: Showell’s Dictionary of Birmingham

Lloyd

master brummie
Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham by Thomas T. Harman and Walter Showell

Fascinating reading! A small excerpt below.
Get a free download at https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14472

"~Streets.~--It is not every street that is a street in Birmingham, for,
according to the Post Office Street List, besides a dozen or so to which
distinctive names have been given, like Cheapside, Deritend, Digbeth,
Highgate, Islington, &c., and 726 streets called Streets, there are in
the borough 178 Roads, 86 Lanes, 69 Rows, 19 Squares, 11 Crescents, 2
Quadrants, 5 Arcades, 1 Colonnade, 5 Parades, 484 Terraces, 1,572
Places, 26 Passages, 20 Yards, 47 Courts (named, and twenty times that
number numbered), 16 Mounts (twelve of them Pleasant), 24 Hills, 5
Vales, 2 Valleys, 23 Groves, 4 Retreats, 11 Villas, 14 Cottages, 2
Five-Dwelling, 179 Buildings, 14 Chambers, 12 Walks, 4 Drives, 3
Avenues, 5 Gullets, 1 Alley (and that is Needless), 1 Five-Ways,
1 Six-Ways, 6 Greens, 2 Banks, 2 Villages, 3 Heaths, 3 Ends, and 1 No
Thoroughfare."

Came across a book in the charity shop called. Dictionary of Birmingham by Walter Showell .Very interesting!! Would anyone like it.

TOPSYTURVEY, Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham (1885) is a very useful resource. It is available at archive.org as an "e-text" (just click on the blue title; you can click on the left-hand or right-hand page to turn the page, or you can use the "search" window). The book was compiled by Thomas T Harman, and contains a wide variety of Brum "trivia" (some not so trivial), alphabetically arranged and expressed very succinctly and wittily. Highly recommended. You've done well, John!

Superb free download of The Project Gutenberg EBook of Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham can be found here

Just for info - the date the dictionary was first published was 1885. It's not immediately obvious from looking at the document. Agree it makes really fascinating reading. Thanks Bernie. Viv.

My Great-great grandfather is the Thomas T. Harman who helped compile that. That was a fun discovery when I learned of it. Agreed, there's a great deal of interesting information included in it, and I wish I could find copies of the other books he complied that it makes mention of. I inquired at the Birmingham library, but they couldn't find anything.

Ann

Back