• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dickinson Mary

E. Lanfear

I was wondering if anybody could help with my family research of Mary dickinson of court henage Street.. My father Thomas Henry George Chapman was born in Saltley... Granny chidler Thomas William Chapman marry in St Peters Paul Church Aston Birmingham...

Listed as being born London Middlesex, which is not ideal. Only one seems close, a daughter of George Dickenson and a Mary Ann Adler but she's registered Lambeth which is usually Surrey, so more info needed really.

Was Mary Dickenson's father listed as George?

George and Mary Ann appear to have had 3 daughters - Martha, Alice Sarah and Mary Ann.

In 1871 George, Martha and Mary Ann are in Bisley parish, Gloucestershire. George's birthplace is listed as Gloucestershire. Mary Ann (wife) and Alice possibly died in 1870.

1871 census is not great on familysearch but on the 1881 census Martha lists her birthplace as London, Middlesex, the same as Mary does.

If this is the right family then George not being a Londoner could explain the seeming generalness of the London birthplace.

And it does seem likely as on the 1881 census Mary Ann Dickenson is with her uncle William Dickenson at Osbourne Terrace, Duddeston Mill Road, Nechells.

William appears to be George's elder brother, both born Bisley.

Mary Ann Alder was probably born Bisley as well.

Last edited:
Back