• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DI George Brown

R

richardmorris

Any one out there known any information on my grandfather George Brown.
He was a member of the Fifth Army's Provost Marshal in WW1.
DI for Selly Oak, Stirchley and Longbridge based in Newton Street, where he appeared to clock up 33 years police service,
then became head of the Investigation Dept at Cadbury. All I have from Cadbury is his time sheet and retirement card.

Thanks

Hi rich;
i knew a lou brown who run the dudley rd police station which was under the c division ;
which was keyon street hockley and also handsworth and ladywood all included ;
could this be possible that he may be relative to your family tree of your grand father
best wishes astonian

Lou Brown was a colleague of mine, who sadley died a few years ago. A lovely man who came from County Durham. There would be no connection with D.I. Brown. As far as the Police museum is concerned, David Cross has retired. I do not know if it still being opened. Regards George.

Hi george ;
it was nice to hear that he was a friend of yours and a colleage as well yes lou
was a very good officier and a gentleman and always got his man ; he was a gentle and polite man;
i was very sorry to hear of his loss to the force did you know his counter part inspector blake;
george many thanks for coming back quickly and i am sorry it was not any connection to you ;
as you know familys do follow in threr family traits like mine one a nd following our grnd fathers foot steps
one was with the walsall police he got killed in a car chase grand father was a judge the other was a police officiers
and the other half was involved with legal sections the one served at digbeth and piddock street and he was in the glouster division before coming to brum; best wishes astonian

Astonian, yes I did know Mike Blake, he was a Det. Sgt not an Inspector. He resigned from the force before his time was up. I used to see him occasionaly around Sutton Coldfield but not for about five years now. I may have known the Digbeth and Piddock Road Officers. Any names. Regards George.

my grand father was william hinton for one ; another one was ernie robinson ; at piddock street and grand father moved to digbeth and steel house lane
and the jelf was the other grand father whom sent william yarnold to the gallows and the sons was special jurriors and in the legal secton
cousin was in the walsall divisin ; over thebar beacons areahe got killed in a panda car chase catching the villains ;
astonian

Richard could you give me some dates/ages etc., I will then speak with other ex-police. Without more details I would be fishing in the dark. George

Hi george
my ernie must be in is sixtys now i would imagine he was a big guy
fair to blonde hair to be quite honest george i am not to sure i would be at least sixty by now

hi george ;
just wondering whether or not was you the inspector or not on the jane turner murder case whom found the walking stick ;
the case was published in the daily mail last week on the subject of ernie he would be a little older than i said given the time last of him being in service
my rely sent a man to the gallows in worcestershire and sent for albert piepoint from bradford to carry out the hanging ;
not allowed to say nomore astonian;

Back