• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Devonshire Street

Hi,

New to this forum and I’ve had a look through the old posts. Wondered if anyone could help with I have my great grandfathers birth certificate from 1890 we think it says he was born back of 169 Devonshire Street.

Does anyone know if there was some form of work house or something similar around this time? Seems an unusual thing to have been written.

Many thanks

There were houses that were on the street and in some cases there were houses behind them, they were back houses. Here's an example of them...

Devonshire St.jpg

As long as there was no change in the numbering these two maps show 169 and the back houses. The first is from 1950 which has the numbers listed and the second is from 1889.

Devonshire St 3.jpg

Devonshire St 2.jpg

Hi,

New to this forum and I’ve had a look through the old posts. Wondered if anyone could help with I have my great grandfathers birth certificate from 1890 we think it says he was born back of 169 Devonshire Street.

Does anyone know if there was some form of work house or something similar around this time? Seems an unusual thing to have been written.

Many thanks
Unfortunately not the address you want but 86 - 96 Devonshire Street and the first image shows the street and the second image shows the back. The photographer has chalked the location on the houses.
86-96DevonshireSt.jpg

Backdevonshire.jpg
from the Shoothill collection.

Hi Jessica

Another couple of images for you, on the workhouse question it was about ten minutes walk away on Western Road now the site of City Hospital. Where I believe they have recently demolished the last traces of the old workhouse.

Winson Green Devonshire Street c1960.jpg Winson Green Devonshire St - Lees St.jpg

Last edited:
My mother's family lived from early 1900s 4/115 and 1/185 Devonshire Street not too far away from your ancestors

Hi,

Many thanks
HI. I have just joined this Birmingham history site and read your question. When we were small children we lived at 173 Devonshire St which was a through house from front to back with a decent back garden. However the next two houses would have been 171 and 169 they were back to back houses. What that meant was there was a covered archway that you could walk through to get to the back of 171 and 169. When you walked through on the right side there was a wooden gate with a small back garden
That you had to go through to get to the front door. I.e. the back of 169 or turn left to get to the back of 171. We would walk past that door to get to our back door. 173. That's only because we didn't have a key to our front door. Our house was opposite a road which had a green grocer on one corner and a pub on the other corner. We left Devonshire street in 1964.
Most if not all those houses have been demolished and replaced u think in 1980s.
Hope this helps. Kind regards Patrick

HI. I have just joined this Birmingham history site and read your question. When we were small children we lived at 173 Devonshire St which was a through house from front to back with a decent back garden. However the next two houses would have been 171 and 169 they were back to back houses. What that meant was there was a covered archway that you could walk through to get to the back of 171 and 169. When you walked through on the right side there was a wooden gate with a small back garden
That you had to go through to get to the front door. I.e. the back of 169 or turn left to get to the back of 171. We would walk past that door to get to our back door. 173. That's only because we didn't have a key to our front door. Our house was opposite a road which had a green grocer on one corner and a pub on the other corner. We left Devonshire street in 1964.
Most if not all those houses have been demolished and replaced u think in 1980s.
Hope this helps. Kind regards Patrick
You can see it on here

Attachments

• 175 Devonshire Street.JPG
    175 Devonshire Street.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 10
Back