• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

DEVLIN

villafanman

proper brummie kid
Evening all, i,m looking for info on iris lister/devlin, she married john devlin in 1942 in sunderland. a marrage to a nicholson is what i,m looking for if poss, they lived at 20 ormond st and 1954 moved into farm street, i also have my mom on the 1939 register with lister maiden name crossed out and put to devlin then crossed out again and altered to nicholson. this may sound strange but i,m not sure of my dad,s 1st name. many thanks

James P Nicholson is listed on ER with Iris at 55 Farm St in 1960. Iris is on her own in 1962 which I suspect means that James died in 1960, reg Bham aged 64, so somewhat older.

I can't see a marriage for them. Is there any dates listed on 1939 register in the same writing as the new names?

James P Nicholson is listed on ER with Iris at 55 Farm St in 1960. Iris is on her own in 1962 which I suspect means that James died in 1960, reg Bham aged 64, so somewhat older.

I can't see a marriage for them. Is there any dates listed on 1939 register in the same writing as the new names?
thank you mws, ,,yes thats the info i have, he died oct 1960 on the death cert he is names has james peter nicholson same has my namebut i can,t find a birth or any marrage, i found my mom on 1939 register when i was serching iris lister her maiden name

Is it possible that he was born somewhere other than England or Wales?

There is James Nicholson b1895 listed at the Midland Hotel, New St on the 1939 register than could be him.

I see that their child (possibly yourself ?) was registered as both Devlin and Nicholson (mmn Lister) which suggests that they possibly didn't marry, though she appears to be listed only as Nicholson when she marries again.

I see that their child (possibly yourself ?) was registered as both Devlin and Nicholson (mmn Lister) which suggests that they possibly didn't marry, though she appears to be listed only as Nicholson when she marries again.
my mom came to brum with a child ,george lister b1936, married john devlin in 1942 they had a chid mary isabel devlin 1948 after 1950 i dont see john any more,

Do you have any more details for John Devlin?

There is a death for a John Devlin Jun 1978 Bham, born 23 Aug 1921 so a similar age to Iris. He appears to have been born in Belfast, son of Joseph and Margaret.

another 1 i will check out,, thank you so much for your time,, i really do appreciate it.:):). time for my bed lol,, i,m such an old fart ,,

Back