• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Detheridge, Dennis

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
Does any one know what became of Dennis Detheridge, or is he still around.

In the 1950's Dennis worked for the old Evening Despatch. He became a music critic, and roving reporter, for the Despatch, covering all the music events, and news, from the 1950's onwards.

Although I had left Birmingham by that time, I also understand that he worked for a local music magazine called MIDLAND BEAT.

Somewhere there must be a fantastic archive of music over the years, around the Birmingham area.

It would be nice if someone can find out. I did ask Shawcross, who worked with Dennis at the old Evening Despatch, but sadly he, like myself, has no idea of what happened to dear old Dennis Detheridge.

Eddie

Hello Eddie, I don't know anything about Dennis Detheridge I'm afraid, but I did a quick search on google and came up with these two items. https://www.zoominfo.com/p/Dennis-Detheridge/370389938 and https://www.birminghammusicarchive.com/midland-beat/ .. Perhaps if you contact BMA they may be able to help.

Terry

Thank you, Terry.

Your information is much appreciated. The websites mentioned confirm that Dennis was involved with both Midland Beat & Brum Beat, but sadly, no personal information about Dennis.

Both Brum Beat & Midland beat were well after my departure from Birmingham, and my own experiences regarding the music scene with Dennis was in the 1950's.

I am wondering whether Dennis is still alive, or not. I will try to contact Birmingham Music Archives, of which I am a member.

Again, many thanks,

Eddie

Eddie,

A Dennis Detheridge went to Moseley Grammar School but was about two years older than me. Checking on the births, there's a Dennis G. Detheridge born in Brum in1935 and if this is him, then he appears to have been still alive up until 2007, but there are no records online after this date.

Maurice

Thanks Maurice,

The 1935 guy appears to be about the right age. I know that Dennis was a couple of years younger than myself.

Dennis would come to the jazz clubs, chat with us, and covers reviews for, I think, the old Evening Despatch. He also covered the visiting bands, and their concerts.

He was a well known character and loved his music.

Later, he obviously moved into the local rock scene, but that was after my time. It is just that, going through some old papers, I found his name. It would be nice to know if he is still around.......or not!

I will check with the BMA people.

Eddie

Hi Maurice and Eddie. I'm also looking for contact info for Dennis. I'm the archival producer on a documentary film about the musician Dave Walker (Redcaps, Savoy Brown, etc). I'm looking for any photos or videos of Dave. 1960's photos of Old Hill Plaza and pubs in Walsall during that time period. Dennis may have or had images that we're interested in licensing. I'll try BMA next.

Thank you,
Greg

Hi Maurice and Eddie. I'm also looking for contact info for Dennis. I'm the archival producer on a documentary film about the musician Dave Walker (Redcaps, Savoy Brown, etc). I'm looking for any photos or videos of Dave. 1960's photos of Old Hill Plaza and pubs in Walsall during that time period. Dennis may have or had images that we're interested in licensing. I'll try BMA next.

Thank you,
Greg
Welcome to the Forum.
If you look at the avatars of Eddie and Maurice you will see the words "gone but not forgotten" - sadly this means that both are no longer with us. It may be that another member can help you in your quest.

I remember Dennis Dethridge, he used to be the editor of Midland Beat in the 60's - great paper for info on Midlands bands!
I have no idea if he's still around I'm afraid.

I knew Dave Walker slightly back in the mid 70's, he had been living in the USA but came back to Birmingham for a while and he sang with a band guitarist Roger Hill had sometimes.

The only thing I can suggest is if you use Facebook there is a page called Birmingham Music Archive where someone may be able to help or you could try the website http://www.brumbeat.net/

Good luck!

The last mention of Dennis Detheridge on the ERs (early 2000s) appears be in Bristol. Can't see a death registration for him.

If you google Dennis Detheridge Bristol you get a number of results.

Back