• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Desert warfare

dennis

master brummie
Anyone interested in reading what it was like in the desert 1942-43
should enjoy James Holland's book titled "To gether We Stand"
very well written

Hi,
Does the book include the battle of Alamein? My grandfather, Harry George Fellows, RAFVR (Mechanic, et al), born and bred in Birmingham, fought in that battle, before moving onto the Italian campaign.

Hi Friend, yes it mentions The battle of Alamein right the way through to Tunis,quite a mention of the RAF who played a large part, I am sure you would enjoy the book8)

Wow Dennis that book sounds interesting - fellowkey From the Canadian perspective I might be able to post something myself about the Italian compaign - it may take me a few days though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Beryl,
yes it really is an interesting book,it pulled no punches as to the rights and wrongs of decisions made at the time.
I have just started a book titled "The last Tommies" a compilation of story's told by the old gentlemen Of WW 1, sadly not many around to-day but a few did live to the grand old age of 100 plus for all that they went through

Hi Dennis I have made a note of the first book - Who is the author of 'The Last Tommies' please!

Britain's last Tommies

Hello Beryl,
sorry I should have stated the author he is........
Richard Van Emden
Another great book you would enjoy, He was English born,
, A very Big hero of Canada.......
"No Time For Dreams" a soldier's six-year journey through WW2
By Robert W. Metcalfe,,he sent me a signed copy,unfortunatley he has since died,but he is the tall soldier with a beret on the back right side of the Canadian $10bill under the title "in service of peace"
I also have a copy of a letter sent to him from Manfred Rommel ,who as you know was "Rommel's son

Hello Dennis thank you for that info - You have a letter from Manfred Rommel wow - Erwin Rommel the most distinguished German Field Marshall during World War 11 - A professional soldier very much admired by the British -
Maybe something should be written about the North African Compaign.....

Back