• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Derwin Long Lost Uncle

Pat Monks

Brummie babby
This appeal for help has a long story behind it but the simple version is as follows. Mother died in 1974 and 20 years later I and 7 siblings discovered her parents were not the biological parents. This was a shock to us as we did not have a whisper and it took 17 more years to 2011 to learn she had been born as a twin in Liverpool in 1916 and not Dublin as we had always understood. We knew she had a twin brother who left Dublin around 1942 who survived the war but to best of knowledge never returned to Dublin.
This Uncle was Jack Derwin and our mother was Mary ( Dolly ) Derwin
Jack and Dolly 1916 birth certs state they were Rupert and Ruth Darlington and born in Liverpool
They were "fostered" (No adoption in Ireland until 1952) in 1920 at almost 4 years of age and became John and Mary Derwin. As I said this is a long story and in fact there is a book in it that I am working on but have some more research to do and a nice part would be to find out what happened in the life of the mother's twin brother.
Tracing Jack Derwin/Rupert Darlington began in 2014 but only 5 weeks ago a possible breakthrough happened. A list of voters for Aberdeen Street Ladywood Birmingham was discovered which had a John O Derwin living at 1 Back No 42. It is very common in Irish names to have the prefix O but Derwin is a very uncommon Irish name and the prefix O makes it actually look amusing. Wasn't long before the O significance hit me like a rocket. Jack in 1920 was baptised John Oliver Derwin !! The chances of there being another John O Derwin in Birmingham at same time have to be remote. The name Derwin is as remote in UK as it is in Ireland.
This voters list showing John O Derwin at 1 Back 42 Aberdeen Street Ladywood Birmingham covers the year 1947. Presuming this is my long lost Uncle Jack the obvious move is to try and follow on from there. Can anyone on this forum offer any help or ideas please ? My Uncle and mother would be 100 years old this coming November and we as a family will of course come together to remember them. Wouldn't it be absolutely terrific if we found out what way Jack's life went whether it be good or bad ?
Trusting luck will be in and someone can help
Sincerely
Pat Monks
Dublin

Love history and have really enjoyed reading so much about Birmingham

PS
Its daft, I am also looking for an Irish family who lived at St Marks Street or Avenue or something in Ladywood in 1959. I want to thank the children or grandchildren of a wonderful woman who showed great kindness to my family. Will post this at a future date

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hello pat and welcome to the forum...well what a story you have there...i hope some of our members maybe able to help you with your uncle jack..as your mom and her brother were only fostered through their adult life did they use their fostered names or their birth names...i am assuming that they used their fostered name of derwin as you say your uncle was in aberdeen st in 1947...just one other thing you put uncle john not jack in aberdeen st so are you sure it is him??also where was john derwin baptised..

all the best...i will do a bit of digging for you

lyn

Last edited:

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pat,I do hope that someone can help you with your search.
I have already this morning put John Oliver Derwin and Jack Oliver Derwin into all Uk records for marriages and deaths but have drawn a blank,Alberta

pjmburns

master brummie
Lyn - I expect you know this but John was often known as Jack. My father in law (born 1917) was always known as Jack but christened John.

Janice

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pat, had another trawl through England/Wales records no death of John, I got his birthdate from one of your message on Rootsweb
No Derwin or Darlington,b 17th November 1916 died before 2007

pjmburns

master brummie
There are several marriages registered in Ireland for John Derwin including one in Dublin in 1949. Unfortunately on Ancestry it is one of the "text only collections. As there is no middle initial it may just be a coincidence. Irish deaths records don't seem to be on past 1958. RootsIreland might have more records.
Janice

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Lyn - I expect you know this but John was often known as Jack. My father in law (born 1917) was always known as Jack but christened John.

Janice

yes thanks janice i realised that after i had posted...never could work out why johns were also known as jacks though

lyn

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
pat the best i can do is post you this photo showing houses 1 and 2 back of 42 aberdeen st...no 1 is on the right...click on photo to enlarge
Aberdeen Street No 1-2 rear No 42 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg

lyn

Last edited:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lyn
not sure how that description fits in with this c 1972 map. The 1889 map is almost identical for these two houses, so it did not significantly change

Attachments

• MAP C 1972.  NOS 1 & 2 ABERDEEN ST.jpg
    MAP C 1972. NOS 1 & 2 ABERDEEN ST.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 8

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
mike your map is showing the houses starting at no 2....my pic is showing houses 1 and 2 at the back of no 42...

lyn

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry Lyn. gone a bit dappy today. no 1 is on th eright, and 2 is on the left

Attachments

• map c 1955aberdeen st. nos 1 & 2 back 42.jpg
    map c 1955aberdeen st. nos 1 & 2 back 42.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 4

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks mike thats great...dont worry about going dappy i get worse by the day lol

lyn

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fascinating family history Pat. I hope you don't mind but I've added the Derwin surname to your thread title as it might increase the chances of it being picked up through a search on the forum. Hope that's OK. And good luck with uncovering more of his history. Viv.

Pat Monks

Brummie babby
hello pat and welcome to the forum...well what a story you have there...i hope some of our members maybe able to help you with your uncle jack..as your mom and her brother were only fostered through their adult life did they use their fostered names or their birth names...i am assuming that they used their fostered name of derwin as you say your uncle was in aberdeen st in 1947...just one other thing you put uncle john not jack in aberdeen st so are you sure it is him??also where was john derwin baptised..

all the best...i will do a bit of digging for you

lyn
Really heartened by the response here Lyn and suspect those replying have the family tree and history bug as bad as myself. Am reminded that herself and meself were in Spain first two weeks in of this month and enjoying an all day breakfast in a pub when I overheard two ladies talking to the owner. They mentioned they were from Birmingham and then went out front to have their beverage or whatever in the sun. I followed a few minutes later to have a dirty smoke and began chatting to them. Wife came out and she talked one lay an I to the other and mentioned to her the search for Uncle Jack and the possible Birmingham connection. We had a great genealogy chat for a good 45 minutes and both of us really enjoyed it. Up the Brummies the friendly people !

Pat Monks

Brummie babby
pat the best i can do is post you this photo showing houses 1 and 2 back of 42 aberdeen st...no 1 is on the right...click on photo to enlarge
View attachment 106780

lyn
That's just amazing Lyn. Have downloaded it. I was puzzled by the term 1 back 42 but can now its essentially back to back houses and in fact there is a small block of them a couple of miles away from me here in Dublin