• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Derringtons brick makers

kooglescriber65

master brummie
Hi,
I am researching the family of DERRINGTON who were brick makers in Dartmouth Street. Has anyone any photo's or info on the family please. ( 1870-1920)

Didn't Derrington's also have a quarry and brickmaking kilns in Speedwell Road, Hay Mills as well that in later years became Derrington's Builders Supply when the quarry was infilled?

Hi Phil,
Yes they did. Josiah Derrington lived in the Manor house in Yardley with a brick making yard at the rear also as you say, in Speedwell Road.
I am a distant relative and recently been doing the family tree. I would love a photo of the place in Dartmouth Street and a photo of Josiah but have been unlucky so far.

Hi Phil,
I only discovered this site last night and have now registered to answer queries. I am also a Derrington from Australia. In 2006 with the help of a Brummie friend from Aldridge we found the site of the old Manor House in Manor Lane Yardley. We purchased a book called 'Images of England, YARDLEY' put out by Birmingham City Council Department of Leisure and Community Services. I got my book from Bl;akesley Hall Yardley. On page 38 there is a photo of the Manor House with the photo being taken circa 1920, but it is earlier than that as I have a photo taken in 1918 by my uncle, who was suffering from gassing in France and was recovering there, with more vegetation around it. There is info on Josiah etc. I discovered more in on Josiah recently. There is a fountain memorial to him and his wife in Yardley Old Park (part of Yardley Conservation Area). It has a new plaque to the Derrington Family and the Rose Garden was formally renamed in his honour. I think the work was done in August. Google it. Josiah would have been an uncle to my late father. Like you I am still working through the Derringtons. I have a broad line family tree, but haven't slotted Josiah and family into it yet. I also took pictures of the new (1961) buildings that now stand on the old site of the Manor House. Once we got orientated the area was easy to find as there is an original house still standing on the right in both photos. I don't know if I am allowed to post my email address ( you would probably know) as I would like to compare findings on the Derrringtons and to also send you copies of my photos. Derro (Neil)

Hi Derro,
I would love to see the photos you have on Josiah Derrington and the Manor House in Yardley.
I too have some information to share with you especially some photos of Edwin Henry Derrington who emigrated to Australia and had 8 children by his second wife.
Josiah Derrington's parents were Edwin Derrington and Susanna Buggins who's parents were David Derrington and Mary Worral.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Jim

Hi
I have a friend in Australia who is related to the Derringtons who lived in the Manor House, his cousin visited & stayed there during the war when he was on his Armed service, if you can contact me privately but would like the photos to send to him & he I am sure will send you what he has. I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,
I am not fully up to scratch with this site and don't know how I get photos on. I will send you a private message with what info I have, and would love to see what photos and info you can get for me.

Jim

Hi kooglescriber65..not wishing to cause offence but it is best not to include your email address on the walls as it can be seen by all..better to remove it by editing your post and then send it in a private message to Dave by clicking on his name and then clicking Instant message

Lindy x

EDIT...email address removed :)

hi there guys
derrintons was also in speedwell rd hay mills my young brother inlaw got the oportunetity to learn the stack atruck there
he was given the opportunetity from mr derrinton him self ; he said son do you want to learn the stacka truck
he said yes and so he put him through his paces aroundthe big huge yard and thn he sent or rospa to give in the chance to obtain his licence and
he pased first time ; they was both chuffe and then he promoted him to yard forman;
i only lived yards from the building yard and my wife aunt lived on the corner shop
best wishes astonian;;

Hi Derro,
Apparently, you can send me a private message that you could put your email address in. I can then forward photos & info I have.

Regards
Jim

Hi Neil,

image007.jpg
thumbnail of Edwin Henry Derrington. It's my first attempt to send a photo via the forum. I'm still learning.
Jim

Attachments

• Edwin Henry Derrington 1a.jpg
    Edwin Henry Derrington 1a.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 26
Hi koogle ;
i hope you ae well i will try and have a look if not i will asked my young brother inlaw
the one i have mentiond to se if he as got any of the yard i know he did have some because he was chuffed when he got the opprtunetity and passed as well sitting on his truck ; and around the yard l
; have a nice day k; best wishes astonian;;

SAM_1045.jpgSAM_1046.jpg
2015 Image of Derrington Memorial in the Rose Garden at Yardley Old Park ( known to locals as Queens Park )
The Rose Garden was renamed Diamond Jubilee Gardens in 2012 by John Hemming M.P for Yardley

View attachment 96323View attachment 96324
2015 Image of Derrington Memorial in the Rose Garden at Yardley Old Park ( known to locals as Queens Park )
The Rose Garden was renamed Diamond Jubilee Gardens in 2012 by John Hemming M.P for Yardley
Hi Bojalu,
Thank you for sending the pictures of the memorial in the rose garden, I have these and have visited a few times.
There is a picture of Josiah Derrington in the Birmingham Library in the Stone Collection in the archive section on 4th floor.

Kind Regards

Hi Kooglescriber
sorry i must have over looked your request , if you aint got one i will get you one tommorrow
As i will be at my office at some point tomorrow as my office is just around the corner from them
best wishes Astonian,,,,

Back