• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Derelict Buildings

ASTONITE

master brummie
I DONT KNOW IF ANYONE HAS COME ACROSS THIS WEBSITE BEFORE, IT'S REALLY WEIRD. IT'S CALLED ' 28DAYSLATER.CO.UK' (ALL ONE WORD AND DONT FORGET THE CO.UK) IT'S CALLED A 'UK EXPLORATION SITE' AND CONTAINS THOUSANDS OF PHOTOS OF DERELICT BUILDINGS INCLUDING HOSPITALS, (SOME OF THEM HAVE STILL GOT BEDS ETC IN THEM ) IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME BUT THERE ARE SOME ITEMS IN THERE THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST ,I FOUND PHOTOS OF ST. MARGARET'S MENTAL HOSPITAL ALBEIT IN QUITE A SORRY STATE. HOPE SOME OF YOU FIND THIS USEFUL.:cool:

Hi Astonite. Got On To That Site But Can U Tell Me Do I Have To Use Another User And Password. Tried The One I Use For This Site But Would Not Recognise It. Wales

Thanks for the link. I will have to go there and I have no doubt the things I see there will break my heart.

Thanks for the link. I will have to go there and I have no doubt the things I see there will break my heart.

Or alternatively you could try my local version!

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see the midlands getting into the act. I have been a lurker at 28dl for some years.It can be a bit cliquey but they do need to know they can trust people as security companies monitor the site. The photographic quality is rising again as the new members gain experiance. Some of the highrise and deep and dirty is amazing.

And another long time lurker on 28dl here too! :D

Such a contrast though between the vandalism on UK sites and the almost pristine condition of some of the continental sites.

Maurice :cool:

Nice to see the midlands getting into the act. I have been a lurker at 28dl for some years.It can be a bit cliquey but they do need to know they can trust people as security companies monitor the site. The photographic quality is rising again as the new members gain experiance. Some of the highrise and deep and dirty is amazing.

To be honest, I think you get a certain amount of 'clickyness' in any forum, the main thing I find is trying to assertain the people who register on a whim to view more and then don't bother to contribute, from the people who register yet feel they have nothing to contribute. We have a core membership of people who are very gifted and talented amateur photographers who enjoy taking pictures of the places that are of quite considerable importance and historic significance to the Midlands region as a whole, all of which are disappearing at an alarming rate in the name of 'progress' (?). Some examples of which off the top of my head include-

Highcroft hospital (some left, most now gone)
The Royal Hospital (might as well be gone!)
Beans foundry (now gone!)
St Georges, Stafford (left to rot)
HP factory (gone)
Goodyears (gone)
etc etc

anyway, the idea of forums such as mine and 28DL (mines just more localised) is to record these places for future generations to gain a glimpse of and enjoy.... I myself would welcome comments, stories and annecdotes from people who worked in these places (and maybe even had old pictures from the 1960's or whatever to share) as I feel sure that most of the other forums would, after all, even if they weren't keen on nosing around abandoned buildings, in theory everybody can contribute in some way?

Frothblower-

The cheques in the post! :D

I've just finished updating my site after months of forgetting my passwords!!!!
https://www.freewebs.com/savage-designs/

Again, it's just a local and personal account of what us explorers do. I've tried to capture anything worth historical content, not just any old derelict building. Even sites that are still being used have abandoned stuff lying around as I found at at Corus steel in Corby!!!:D

To be honest, I think you get a certain amount of 'clickyness' in any forum, the main thing I find is trying to assertain the people who register on a whim to view more and then don't bother to contribute, from the people who register yet feel they have nothing to contribute. We have a core membership of people who are very gifted and talented amateur photographers who enjoy taking pictures of the places that are of quite considerable importance and historic significance to the Midlands region as a whole, all of which are disappearing at an alarming rate in the name of 'progress' (?). Some examples of which off the top of my head include-

Highcroft hospital (some left, most now gone)
The Royal Hospital (might as well be gone!)
Beans foundry (now gone!)
St Georges, Stafford (left to rot)
HP factory (gone)
Goodyears (gone)
etc etc

anyway, the idea of forums such as mine and 28DL (mines just more localised) is to record these places for future generations to gain a glimpse of and enjoy.... I myself would welcome comments, stories and annecdotes from people who worked in these places (and maybe even had old pictures from the 1960's or whatever to share) as I feel sure that most of the other forums would, after all, even if they weren't keen on nosing around abandoned buildings, in theory everybody can contribute in some way?

Frothblower-

The cheques in the post! :D

Thank you Paul, most appreciated.:shh::D
I really should post on your site more.
I had a ride out Monday looking for deserted farms or anything to photo to put on you site. saw nothing, maybe there is a knack of finding these places:rolleyes:

Back