• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DER tv rentals.

Grizzlee

Hi everyone, I’m doing some research into genealogy on behalf of my wife. This is probably going to be a long shot, but I’m hoping to find anyone who may remember if there was a local DER tv rental shop (or shops) that served the Castle Vale area of Birmingham in the mid 1960s? More importantly it would be phenomenal if anyone could remember the employees who may have worked there during this period in the 60s. (The person in question may now be deceased)
I don’t have a name of the person we are looking for, only that the person is male and of possible Indian/Pakistani decent (or of that description) I must stress we are simply looking for leads.
This is a case sensitive topic and if you can help me in anyway I promise you utmost discretion.
If requested I will send you my profile for Facebook messenger if you don’t want to put peoples names or sensitive info on here.
Much appreciated. Lee ✨

There was definitely a DER branch in Castle Vale shopping centre, although the shopping centre itself wasn't built until around 1970-71. Can't recall any of the employees although I do have a vague recollection that one of the TV engineers was an asian gentleman ?

DER was formed in 1939, providing a similar service to Radio Rentals. As Domestic Electric Rentals, they amassed 397 stores by March 1968. When Thorn Television Rentals acquired Radio Rentals by that date, both companies traded as going concerns till the 1980s. By the end of that decade, some of the DER shops were closed or became part of the Radio Rentals chain.1664196548775.png

Hi everyone, I’m doing some research into genealogy on behalf of my wife. This is probably going to be a long shot, but I’m hoping to find anyone who may remember if there was a local DER tv rental shop (or shops) that served the Castle Vale area of Birmingham in the mid 1960s? More importantly it would be phenomenal if anyone could remember the employees who may have worked there during this period in the 60s. (The person in question may now be deceased)
I don’t have a name of the person we are looking for, only that the person is male and of possible Indian/Pakistani decent (or of that description) I must stress we are simply looking for leads.
This is a case sensitive topic and if you can help me in anyway I promise you utmost discretion.
If requested I will send you my profile for Facebook messenger if you don’t want to put peoples names or sensitive info on here.
Much appreciated. Lee ✨
The engineer in question was Mr Jutla ( nickname Jimmy ). Grizzlee, I would be happy to share information privately.

DER was formed in 1939, providing a similar service to Radio Rentals. As Domestic Electric Rentals, they amassed 397 stores by March 1968. When Thorn Television Rentals acquired Radio Rentals by that date, both companies traded as going concerns till the 1980s. By the end of that decade, some of the DER shops were closed or became part of the Radio Rentals chain.View attachment 173357
Do people still rent TV’s?

yes

Families renting TVs again - now we really ARE back in the 70s! Old tactic makes return as households struggle with highest inflation in decades​

• There is now increasing interest in hiring goods for the home
  • Rental firms were once a staple of the high street
  • These days, the internet is the main showroom for rental companies
  • Range in rented goods has expanded – to include games consoles and laptops :(

Richard, Yes, I'm afraid many people have little money. Google 'rent tv in UK' and you get several hits. £8 - £16 per month. Derek
Oh my good ness! We purchased a 48" Samsung LED for our porch a year ago for $199.00. At 16 pounds per month, how much does a new TV cost?

Oh my good ness! We purchased a 48" Samsung LED for our porch a year ago for $199.00. At 16 pounds per month, how much does a new TV cost?
I suspect that renting appeals to people who are already in debt or who can't raise finance. Obviously the TV never becomes your own, but it can't be repossessed either. Perhaps the same customers who use pawn shops for short term loans? They might have county court judgements against them, or be unable to have credit. You can get furniture on hire purchase too...

I suspect that renting appeals to people who are already in debt or who can't raise finance. Obviously the TV never becomes your own, but it can't be repossessed either. Perhaps the same customers who use pawn shops for short term loans? They might have county court judgements against them, or be unable to have credit. You can get furniture on hire purchase too...
We have furniture rentals here usually for people on temporary relocation. However long term rentals pushes folks further into debt. Understand your comment, very said.

we has rental tv becouse they were so expensive to buy yonks ago it had a box on the back to pay the rental.

"We were so poor we couldn't pay attention":grinning:

Comparatively TV was expensive in the UK, especially colour. My widowed mother couldn't afford it, so I rented one when I was about 23 and later bought a set.

You could rent or have one with a coin box on the side. I rented a TV in the early 90's then bought it for a small fee at the end of the rental period.

Attachments

• TV rental.jpg
    TV rental.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3
Back