• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dentistry past and present in Brum

Mt first dentist was awful he was along the Wellington road he took out in one sitting 4 good teeth because according to him my mouth was over crowded all my teeth came in and I still have four gaps even my wisdom teeth came in with room round them and my mouth bled and bled I had a dreadful dream which is still with me after all this time I must have been about 10 I have had a dental phobia ever since

Dental Hospital. Ugh the mask over the mouth. I broke my front tooth when I was 8 and they covered it with a silver looking tooth, then they replaced with a plastic tooth which looked just as ugly, my mom asked them to do a 'proper' tooth they refused and said I might fall over in the playground and break it. So she took me to a dentist in Heathfield Road and they gave me a procelain one which lasted up until I was 21.
One of my twin sons broke his front tooth and as it was a bank holiday had to go to the old dental hospital. They were brilliant with him and also fitted a temporary silver tooth. The twins are identical and the teachers could never tell the difference. They asked me to embroider a P for Peter and S for Steve on their jumpers which I did. Unfortunately the children used to call them salt and pepper so that had to come off. Well the silver tooth did the job as S for silver and Steve so at last they could tell them apart. I am under the new Dental Hospital and it is a state of the arts and they are so friendly there it is a pleasure to visit for treatment.

Hi Raz I went to that hell hole as a child and so did Pete my husband. They used to put straps round your wrist fixed to the arms of the chair. They were vile. The small dentist was German we think and the taller one was Matron like. My mom took me home when they tried drilling my teeth. I have overcome my fear and now have treatment at the Dental Hospital where the dental students train and they are brilliant.
find it so hard to believe that children were physically strapped to the ams of the chair by their wrists...surely even back then it must have been illegal...how awful...

lyn

find it so hard to believe that children were physically strapped to the ams of the chair by their wrists...surely even back then it must have been illegal...how awful...

lyn
Both my mom and Pete's took us out of the surgery after they heard us crying (at different times) but my mom took me to a six ways dentist who said I didn't need a filling at all. It was awful Lyn and has scarred quite a few people for life. I have overcome my fears and prefer the dentist to the doctor these days.

I can remember going to Albert Road clinic to have my teeth removed, like everyone else it scarred me for life, big wooden chair, 3 or 4 assistants to hold me down and to shovel something in my mouth that felt like a old type of finger plaster, and to hold the gas mask over my mouth and nose, then waking up in the cold sinks area with a cold glass of water to swill my mouth out which as often covered in blood, I had to be either carried home or push in a pushchair, it took a few days for me to recover, I am glad that my children didn't not have to suffer that type of treatment when they were younger, in fact I would never allowed them ( dentist) go anywhere near my children.

the thing is john these appalling things happened in living memory some of the stories i am reading are probably more suited to the 17 and 18 hundreds...i must have been one of the lucky ones..never had to visit these clinics...i went to the dentist on the corner of villa st and farm st...the practice is still there..mr mahmood was the dentist and although i well remember the smell of the gas mask i never experienced anything like some members have..went to kip for while woke up quick swill of the mouth and back home..no lasting damage and certainly nothing mentally..maybe our mom knew the reputation of some of these clinics..she never said

lyn

My first experience of dentistry was at Yardley Green Rd Clinic when they used gas for an extraction. At a later check up the dentist decided that I had ‘ a Hapsburg Jaw’ which meant that when my bite was closed the lower teeth were not behind the upper ones.Consequently my mother had to take me to have orthodontic treatment somewhere in Sheep St. Gosta Green where I was fitted with a form of brace that pushed my top teeth forward. I can’t imagine that it would be considered a problem now but I do wonder if I am in line for a ‘crown’?

1901​

University of Birmingham awarded the first dental degree in Britain
Novocaine was introduced as a local anaesthetic by Alfred Einhorn
A timeline of the development of dentistry from 1530 to the present day

Last edited:
My first dentist, (Mr Cheffin) was at the top of Deritend High Street, where it turned left and under the railway bridge, eventually leading the Coventry Road. I was diagnosed as having too small a jaw, so the wisdom teeth had to come out before they came through. That was done in hospital, though I think it was a general ward because there were other children there with different ailments. That was general anaesthetic, and I woke up with stitches in each corner of my mouth. No problems with the procedure though.
I had to go through similar when I was 18/19 in Malvern cottage hospital, too many teeth.
Andrew.

We didn't have toothpaste as children. We brushed our teeth with powders which came in tins. I think they were made by a company called Gibbs? Didn't taste very nice. Also people had lots of sugar in their tea. Sugar bowls were very big.

1901​

University of Birmingham awarded the first dental degree in Britain
Novocaine was introduced as a local anaesthetic by Alfred Einhorn
A timeline of the development of dentistry from 1530 to the present day
I am fortunate enough to be under the new Dental Hospital and they are brilliant and so kind. I prefer visit dentist than the doctors.

My first dentist, (Mr Cheffin) was at the top of Deritend High Street, where it turned left and under the railway bridge, eventually leading the Coventry Road. I was diagnosed as having too small a jaw, so the wisdom teeth had to come out before they came through. That was done in hospital, though I think it was a general ward because there were other children there with different ailments. That was general anaesthetic, and I woke up with stitches in each corner of my mouth. No problems with the procedure though.
I had to go through similar when I was 18/19 in Malvern cottage hospital, too many teeth.
Andrew.
I too had all my wisdom teeth out in hospital , though older than you. It was at the QE. Not general ward, but joint dentist and psychiatric. Next to me was someone with Christmas disease , a form of haemophilia, and opposite a women who thought it was still ww2 and did not want to take her coat off in case she had to go down the shelters

Last edited:
Did anyone have to go to the School Dentist? I remember going to Sheep Street once. All I remember is the big leather chair, the gas mask and a row of sinks with all these children spitting out blood! After that experience I think it was a hood 10 years before I found wonderful dentist near the Pelham on Alum Rock Road.

Did anyone have to go to the School Dentist? I remember going to Sheep Street once. All I remember is the big leather chair, the gas mask and a row of sinks with all these children spitting out blood! After that experience I think it was a hood 10 years before I found wonderful dentist near the Pelham on Alum Rock Road.
We used a dentist near there - Mr Gawthorpe.

Mr Gawthorpe was my dentist. He was a very nice man and did a lot of filling of my teeth!. Do you remember the "boutique" that was just up the road a bit that was owned by one of the Birmingham City Footballers?

I didn't go to the school dentist, but did go to a dentist near the Pelham, at the corner of Belchers Lane and Alum Rock Road, Mr Liggins was the dentist at that time (the 1960s).
A previous experience, as very young child, of being taken to a dentist somewhere near Bowyer Road (at the 'top-of-the-rock' as we called it) to have a milk tooth extracted, left me scared of dentists for life...... As described elsewhere, at that time mother was sent to a chair at the back of the room while the child was strapped by the wrists and ankles to the chair, and had a restraining strap wrapped across the forehead before the dreaded gas mask approached.... apparently I put up a good fight because for days afterwards I was spitting out bits of gristle from gashes in the inside of my lower lip................thank goodness those days have gone!
Does anyone else remember Mr Liggins?

Hi TommoCo,

Oh yes, I remember him very well, - he put me off going voluntarily to dentists
for the rest of my life. Now I only go when the pain exceeds the fear.

Kind regards
Dave

Hello Dave89, sorry you had that experience, but, he had the same effect on me!

Another thought on Dentistry, something I've recounted to the younger generations only to be met with doubt and almost disbelief - it is a story told to me by my mother, and goes like this...
At their wedding in 1929, it was traditional at that time for the bride and groom to be given small amounts of cash to start them off in married life. Mom and dad took all of this money, went to the local dentist (Alum Rock) and both had all their teeth extracted - 32 healthy teeth each! - and eventually came both away equipped with a full set of false teeth.
The reason, I was told, was that, before the NHS was introduced it was impossible for ordinary working people to afford regular dental care, and the thought of toothache with no means of treating it was so unbearable that it was common at that time for newlyweds to do this.....Horrendous as it sounds, it was a real situation for my parents in 1929.
Has anyone else heard similar accounts?

Back