• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dentistry past and present in Brum

My mother told me it was not uncommon before WW2 for people to be given the same as a 21st birthday present

A “dental clearance” was a common occurrence as a birthday present or a wedding gift. Prior to the birth of the NHS and with sugar becoming cheaper and more accessible to working class family’s tooth decay was a significant health problem. Death by dental problems became quite common.

There is an account of this in a book called Silvertown by Melanie McGrath. He grandmother was taken out by her mother on her 17th birthday. Not aware that mom was taking her for a dental clearance to make her more marriageable.

7a735d1567461db8be1f227252e6f8c3.jpg
:(

A “dental clearance” was a common occurrence as a birthday present or a wedding gift. Prior to the birth of the NHS and with sugar becoming cheaper and more accessible to working class family’s tooth decay was a significant health problem. Death by dental problems became quite common.

There is an account of this in a book called Silvertown by Melanie McGrath. He grandmother was taken out by her mother on her 17th birthday. Not aware that mom was taking her for a dental clearance to make her more marriageable.
thanks for the replies, because it irritates me the way we all (and the youngsters in particular) take having the NHS for granted, i.e. 'it's always been there'... and now, wow, a 'dental clearance'... can't wait to tell the kids about that..!

Hello Dave89, sorry you had that experience, but, he had the same effect on me!

Another thought on Dentistry, something I've recounted to the younger generations only to be met with doubt and almost disbelief - it is a story told to me by my mother, and goes like this...
At their wedding in 1929, it was traditional at that time for the bride and groom to be given small amounts of cash to start them off in married life. Mom and dad took all of this money, went to the local dentist (Alum Rock) and both had all their teeth extracted - 32 healthy teeth each! - and eventually came both away equipped with a full set of false teeth.
The reason, I was told, was that, before the NHS was introduced it was impossible for ordinary working people to afford regular dental care, and the thought of toothache with no means of treating it was so unbearable that it was common at that time for newlyweds to do this.....Horrendous as it sounds, it was a real situation for my parents in 1929.
Has anyone else heard similar accounts?
what an awful thought...would it have been dangerous to have all 32 teeth extracted in one go...cant think of anything worse

lyn

what an awful thought...would it have been dangerous to have all 32 teeth extracted in one go...cant think of anything worse

lyn
I don't know, I've always wondered about the risk. Another amazing detail is that they went together, so one waited while the other went through it, then followed - just horrendous! Mom always said how dad (her words) had his own 'such lovely little perfect teeth' - before what I now know was called a 'dental clearance'... it still makes me sad...thank goodness for the NHS.

What great Victorian pics, really interesting Lyn, I went as an 8 year old to the old Dental Hosp Viv, had gas, still remember the stink of rubber, and cold feeling of gas, was quite ill with it, threw up for a few days. It was an intimidating place Viv, but some people would be glad of it now!!
Interesting Paul, I had forgotten about that horrible smell and that strange feeling from the gas. Not at that place but Dr Woodison (sp)on Hamstead Rd.

Interesting Paul, I had forgotten about that horrible smell and that strange feeling from the gas. Not at that place but Dr Woodison (sp)on Hamstead Rd.
i have not forgotten richard. :rolleyes: ..before i go off topic we do have a thread for our memories of going to the dentist

What great Victorian pics, really interesting Lyn, I went as an 8 year old to the old Dental Hosp Viv, had gas, still remember the stink of rubber, and cold feeling of gas, was quite ill with it, threw up for a few days. It was an intimidating place Viv, but some people would be glad of it now!!
I remember the smell of a rubber mask and gas at a school dental clinic. I wonder if school dental clinics still exist? Can't remember where the clinic was, but there were chairs with cream metal frames and brown canvas seats and backs in the waiting room.

as posted on post 2082 could we please use the thread below for comments about dentists...thank you

the team

Back